Do you ever feel guilt?

buying book magazines ; and yarn?

I love to sew, quilt, knit, tat ; plus a few other things

I feel guilty a lot of times for buying them;

We are on a fixed income  with our new house payment; we

build our re tirement home ; been here 3---1/2 years ago.

I only get  a little money each month;  i also take Mom out to do

her errands once a month and she gives me some money
I don't go any where expect to take mom and to the doctor about

every 3 months or so and to get my hair cut;

Hardly ever go to Wall mart any more .

I don't know why but I do often feel guilty/

so do you all? hi

Sometimes, but I've cut back in other areas to compensate.  I used to love to buy books and DVD's.  Then my niece introduced me to the online catalog system for our library.  Now I can put stuff on reserve from home and my DH picks up my stuff and drops off once a week.  That money has moved over into craft books and supplies. :lol  :lol   I can also preview some of the more expensive crochet books prior to purchase and that has stopped me from buying some books on impulse only to be disappointed because I only would make one or 2 items.

I maximize my coupon offers and sales to try to bring down the cost as much as I can. 

You know, really if we can afford to buy things we like, why should we feel guilty?  As long as we are not depriving ourselves/our family of necessities like food or medicine, and meeting the rest of our budget, then I think there is no reason to feel bad.  It sounds like you are not out running around spending a lot of money every week on other things like movie tickets or restaurants, which can add up fast and are less satisfying than yarn!  

Everybody has their own parameters for what is "affordable".  Personally I do not like to buy large quantities of yarn unless i have a specific use in mind for it.  Which doesn't always mean that i end up using it as i thought i would, but at least i have a starting point for thinking about how to use it.  I have in the past bought a bunch of skeins of yarn that I loved the look and feel of, only to find out that I can't find a project I like that it really looks good in.  I do feel bad about that, not guilty exactly, but it bugs me that it has been sitting there for a few years and I still have not been able to decide how to use it----i like it better in the skein than I do crocheted or knitted.  I now try to keep to a rule of buying one skein of yarns I am interested in, so i can experiment with it; then if i do like it i will buy a large quantity for a project.  

as far as books, i usually try to check them out from the library first, or take a good look at it at the bookstore, before i buy.  Same with magazines, most have a good online preview so i look at that before buying.  So if i buy a book or magazine i know what is in it before i invest in it---and they are investments, because i will use them for a long time and i could sell them if i decided to.  

the online catalog system for our library.  Now I can put stuff on reserve from home and my DH picks up my stuff and drops off once a week.  

I love being able to do this!!!  Our library also has a "suggest for purchase" feature so when a new crochet book comes out that i think will be really good, i suggest it for purchase by the library.  Then once it comes into the library, i get to see it before i buy it, and it is also available for all the other library patrons to check out as well.  LOVE my library!  

thank you

the yarn i buy ; i too try to purchase just enough for the project i have in mind

there is this one brand of yarn that I really like; I have made every thing from shawls to afghans out of it 

pound of love;  they have a lot more colors to choose from on line at Joann's

this past week they had a really good sale and I brought several skeins;

I want to make a afghan .

I will check our library and see if I can get it on line

Why do I have to have so many needle work interest. lol ; hugs

Absolutely not. Life is too short to deprive ourselves of things that make us happy. As long as my bills are paid and I have taken care of the important matters, I treat myself. I know my boundaries and my priorities and I enjoy buying yarn books, patterns, hooks, etc. I also buy dvds and cds and usually I am very careful with my purchases but I have always been like that. I always looked like I had more money than I actually did because of the way I budget and plan. I look for sales, clearance, coupons, my motto is to get the most I can for the least amount of money and I do very well.

This also goes for anything else, whether it is clothing or shoes, boots, handbags. I know what I can afford and what I can't.

LI Roe .

No, I don't feel guilty. I spent most of my life scrimping. Now, once the bills are paid, I put away a little, and use the rest for what I want. Nearly everything I buy is on sale or is $1 a skein at a dollar store, so I am not just blowing the money.

L.I.Roe and Real Deal said it best.  As long as the bills are paid and there's food in the house, there is absolutely NO reason to feel guilty about buying yarn.  We go around once, and if we can't spend a little on ourselves to make the trip a little more enjoyable then what's the point of it all?  

Even though I work, I am on a very fixed income.  I get my SS check each month but even though I get a paycheck from work, it's always exactly the same amount each week and it's not much, because most of my pay is taken up by my apartment.  The deal here is that they provide us an apartment to live in, and they pay ALL the bills, and I mean ALL, right down to my internet and cable.  The only bill they don't pay is my cell phone but since they DO pay the bill for my land line, I can't complain about that either.  LOL   So between my SS check and my weekly checks from here, my income doesn't change, but the one thing that I NEVER deny myself is my yarn, because crochet is my only hobby and I enjoy it immensely!  You MUST have enjoyment in your life!  I mean, you absolutely HAVE TO DO SOMETHING FOR FUN!  If buying yarn to crochet something gives you pleasure then DO IT!  And don't second guess yourself or look back!  You deserve it!

budget budget budget..the B word.  My budget allows me to spend a set amount each month.  Some I might spend a little more, but some I spend less.  Do I have more money I can spend on yarn?  yes, but I do have just a bit already to work with....

thanks; sometimes; though; I think ; well I could get me some new undies; a new bra :lol :lol

or get my teeth filled

you know we have dental insurance ; but you still have to pay something right out

I mean what is the use of having dental insurance if it isn't going to pay more?

I too am on a fixed income.  It doesn't stretch to pay for hobby or craft supplies.  I use Christmas or birthday gift money for my crochet needs or wants.  I still feel guilty sometimes, like I ought to use it for necessities.  I have bought several crochet books this year, but I try to buy when they are on sale.

it seems to me that I should be able to enjoy some things that i love ; after all i am 58 ; lo

my problem is i have to many interests ; like sewing ,quilting; tatting and knitting and hand

embroidering ; counted cross stitch ; and it goes on;

oh well ; there could be worse things I could be doing; :lol

I don't think I've felt guilty about buying yarn before.  Other stuff maybe but not yarn.  We don't have tons of money to waste on stuff but that's why I also opened an etsy shop  I don't expect to sell a lot of stuff but if I sell a doll or two here and there then I have my yarn money back.  I've sold 50 bucks worth of dolls so far and that covers the last 2 times I went yarn shopping! :) 

While I understand being on a fixed income and you have the money set for this, that and the other thing, I do think that one is allowed and "allowance" or "pin money" to with what they want (within reason.)  If you have an interest or hobby and you've set yourself up with a budget for how much you can spend on that interest or hobby, then why the guilt?  Save the guilt for if and when you go over your budget, are you not entitled to something for yourself?

I get concerned about my own spending simply because in my first marriage and for the majority of my adult life, I was really bad with money...I'm not now.  My spending habits in my first marriage were one of many reasons my marriage failed...for that I feel guilty.  But I live a different life now, and I have an allowance plus money from a small business, so I'm working to "live" within the confines of my allowance...I really only feel guilt if over spent my checking account, which I'm happy to say, doesn't happen now, or at the very least, maybe happens once a year...

Our needs are met, we're basically living within our means, our bills are paid on time...and for the first time in well over 20 years, I got my credit score and it's more than favorable.  So there's no need for undue guilt.

I did say to my husband this morning that one of the reasons that I've been slow to start my business or even grow my business is that I worry about 'wasting" money if the business is a failure...and my husband said, "your business is also your hobby, it makes you happy, so the money's not a waste..." so no reason for guilt.

It doesn't sound to me like you're wasting money, it doesn't sound like you're spending money to the point that creditors are hounding you to pay past due accounts...so please, if you're allowing yourself a small pleasure a week, a month, or whatever, banish the guilt...there is nothing to be guilty about.

Don't feel guilty--everyone deserves to enjoy life, and if crocheting makes you happy, then buy yarn! I work 40-45 hours a week, and I constantly tell myself that I don't work so much to just pay bills and let the rest sit in my account. I'm very good about saving and getting the bills paid, but I definitely leave myself enough spending money.

I only wish that the stores would accept the cupons when buying  books ; very frustrating. ha

Joann's, unless they've changed recently, not only take Michaels coupons, but they will allow you to use them on books.  I haven't shopped there in almost a year because we moved and now Hobby Lobby is the closet thing.  But the last time I was there, you could.

Joann's, unless they've changed recently, not only take Michaels coupons, but they will allow you to use them on books.  I haven't shopped there in almost a year because we moved and now Hobby Lobby is the closet thing.  But the last time I was there, you could.

Nope, Joann's haven't changed. I just bought a book there last week with a coupon. I've also used the coupon at Hobby Lobby for a book.

ACMoore and Michaels won't allow you to use a coupon on books or magazines though. And Joann's has thier magazines "on sale" for 10% off all the time so you can't use the coupon on those.

As for feeling guilty? Nah... it makes me happy to buy new yarn and such. As long as the necessities are covered why shouldn't I do something that will give me a little pleasure? No need to feel guilty about that! :hook

Thanks everyone

and our JoAnn's will not take cupons for books their own or the other store brands

I have tried here a few times and they will not allow it

anyways

I don't really buy all that many crochet books; except what I think I will use

I am with you guys

i have decided that a little book buying here and there won't hurt

My problem is ; I have a lot of books I don't want to get rid of

when we moved into our home we built on our small farm ; I had to get

rid of a lot of things

oh well; some "weeding out" is good for the soul ; I am told ; ha hugs

I went through the guilt thing for a while.  My husband would give me the 'look' when a big box of  yarn would come in.  I finally got to the point where I realized that my hobby is a mere fraction of the cost of his.  He has an entire garage filled with his 'toys' and I had a couple totes filled with yarn.  It's rather lopsided and I was feeling guilty?

Not anymore. 

ha ha; 

hubby is trying to sell one of his " Big Toys"

his tractor;

long story about the tractor;

we built our home and used it ; his brother built his home on the same farm and used it

the other brother just about wore it out

anyways ; hubby wants to sell it now so he can pay our final loan off.

that and the house payments are very ,very tight '

not to mention other expenses;

Archived