Props for Photographers

A photographer approached me and is interested in using some of my creations as props for her photography business. She mentioned that I would give her the props (hats, blankets, booties) in exchange for the pieces being photographed. I feel as if I need more compensation than that for the cost in yarn and the time I put into it. However, I would really LOVE to see my work professionally photographed!

Do you crocheters charge photographers full price?

50% for the items because they are being photographed?

Or give them away for free?

There is no reason to offer them for free unless the photographer is offering you a photoshoot specifically of your pieces and images that will belong to you for advertising purposes for yourself etc. If they just want them to use to photograph during sessions in which their clients pay to use the prop and have the photos taken there is no reason to give it away. I would charge them full price, perhaps if you are feeling generous offer a 10% discount in return for them recommending you as a prop maker for other photographers they know. I am involved with my local community of photographers and they all go out and purchase things to use as props and never ask for them for free. Just saying your items will be photographed is not compensating you as it is her clients recieving the images not you. Hope this helps you :)

I wouldn't accept those terms either.  Your work has more value than just being photographed.  Make a counter offer.  What's the worst that can happen?  She might say no?

If you're not comfortable with the compensation then I wouldn't do it.

Sound like an amatuer operation to me.  One of my "early jobs" was to work as a stylist for a NY Advertising photographer. 

At WORST, we would give credit AND Portofolio photos for props - sometimes including rights to use the shots for their own purposes.  For example, sharing a copy of the photo on line with credit to the photographer and pointing out your work as a prop. (The internet was not an issue then as it is now)

At BEST from your perspective - we would pay a "rental fee" and were responsible for returning the item in the same condition. 

In many cases - it was not uncommon for a deposit to be required. Tony was well known so that was not usually the case - but he had a 30 year rep with Madison Ave agencies.

I would speculate that your items will be used in props for portrait work and siince it is likely to involve infants and children, I would offer to sell her the props with a discount for limited rights.  Specify that you retain rights to use YOUR OWN Photos to use those images for advertising purposes including but not limited to your portfolio.

It will be up to you if you want to accept partial payment in the form of digital and print images.  If you decide to do this, besure that you have all the releases from any humans who appear in the photo.

You might also want to call a few other photographers in the area to see what they would charge to photo your work so you have an idea of the value.

There is a book that has pretty good sample releases, if you decide to pursue this, feel free to email me privately for details.

Please be aware that Photographers are among the best educated on the extent of their intellectual property rights and you need to be aware of yours and not give them up in an uneven exchange.

This could be an opportunity, but there is value on both sides be sure you do not sell yourself short. Better to walk away than be inadvertently or purposefully have your work devalued or worse loose control of your creative efforts. 

Enjoy The Making

Wheat

Archived