A ring without a stitch?

O-Castitatis-Lilium

Question

Hello again everyone, 

I have a pattern here, that is in this book I have taken out form the library and it's teaching me right now how to do an irish rose motif. Though, on the chart, it's just got one big sircle that looks like this:

O

Then stitches coming off of it. Most of the charts in this wonderful book show where the chain stitches happen and stuff but, this one just has that big ring in the center. I'm not understanding what it means and I tried looking it up. I asked my grandmother too, who knows how to crochet and knot but, she said she's even a little confused on it. So I went online and I heard about this magic ring thing but, I'm not sure that's it.

I was thinking that it might be asking to tie some of the starting yarn together to make a ring like that but...I don't know, it didn't seem to work too well. I tried the magic ring but....well...lets just say if I could strangle the magic ring, I would> That thing would tighten up at the most horrid of times, and then loosen up and...just...a mess lol

I just need to know what that big circle in the middle means. Thank you all in advanced, as always! ^-^

P.S. the book is "Crochet in plain english" by Maggie Reghetti pg. 151-154  The chart is on pg. 153.

5 answers to this question

It's probably a magic ring/adjustable loop.  It gets easier with practice. 

When I first ran across the adjustable loop technique, I thought the instructions were confusing until I realized IT'S JUST A SLIP KNOT.  Make a slip knot, like you would to start any project, but instead of tightening it, loosen it up.  Make your stitches into the 'hole' and tighten it at the end.

There is a very slim chance that it's a padding ring.  I'm probably using the wrong terminology, but some Irish Crochet uses little "stuffed donut" bits, but I've never seen it in Irish Roses.  The old patterns called for padding cord that you crocheted over, or you could just use your thread and wrap it around a few times into a small circle, then crochet over that.  I think that it's most probably the adjustable loop, tho.

It's probably a magic ring/adjustable loop.  It gets easier with practice. 

When I first ran across the adjustable loop technique, I thought the instructions were confusing until I realized IT'S JUST A SLIP KNOT.  Make a slip knot, like you would to start any project, but instead of tightening it, loosen it up.  Make your stitches into the 'hole' and tighten it at the end.

There is a very slim chance that it's a padding ring.  I'm probably using the wrong terminology, but some Irish Crochet uses little "stuffed donut" bits, but I've never seen it in Irish Roses.  The old patterns called for padding cord that you crocheted over, or you could just use your thread and wrap it around a few times into a small circle, then crochet over that.  I think that it's most probably the adjustable loop, tho.

damn lol, I'll just practice the adjustable ring thing for now until I have it down, then I will move on to the motif. I will also try the padded doughnut thing lol....now I want a doughnut  XD LOL!!! Thank you very much for your help and advice! ^-^

Hi! I just had a pattern start with the magic ring. I had no idea how to do it. In addition to all the help offered here already, you might want to check out some of the youtube videos. I had to look at several, but I did get it!

Good luck to you!!!

Heh, I was going to suggest that you just 'chain a few' and join instead, but I thought I'd encourage you to try to master the magic ring/adjustable loop.  It really is quite nifty - because of the adjustable part, you can pull it tighter or open it up looser and sometimes 'fix' minor ruffling issues.  You can't do that with chains.

Archived