Afghan In Progress

Elle

I started this about two weeks ago. I finally, after reading her Attic 24 blog for three years and drooling over the amazing colors she uses, decided that I wanted to make my own afghan in Lucy-esque colors. I ALMOST ordered what is now referred to as the Lucy Pack from Deramore's in England so that I would have the actual Stylecraft colors that Lucy uses, but I would have had to order at least $50 worth of yarn to get free shipping from the UK and when I saw that I could get TWICE as much yarn for the same price from Joanne.com I decided that it was basically a no-brainer and that I would try to match the colors as closely as I could and just use Red Heart Super Saver yarn from right here in the good old U.S. of A. One day I probably WILL buy a true Lucy Pack from Deramore's, but for now, well, the Red Heart has always worn like iron in the afghans I have made from it so why mess with success? Besides, in my experience, the more you wash Red Heart, the softer it gets and for some reason, this yarn felt really soft right from the start so it bodes well for this piece as time goes by.  My afghan is not turning out as vividly colored as Lucy's do, but that's because every fourth row is off-white.  For some reason, in my head, I thought that the white would make it look brighter because of the lightness but it appears to have cut down on the vividness of the colors themselves.  Ah well, I can always make another, right?

This pattern is my own. It has been rattling around in my head for a few years now and I even made an afghan using it a couple of years ago in all different shades of blue. It's truly a GREAT scrap afghan because all you really need of any one color is enough to do one round, unless, of course, you wish to repeat color patterns and then you would obviously need to plan how much of each color you'll need. It's simple enough. The only stitches necessary are the chain, double crochet and front post trebles. The first photo is the entire afghan as far as I have finished it.  The next three are close-ups of stitch details, two of the center and one of the way the post stitches increase up the sides as the afghan grows.  All opinions are welcome. :yes

post-10342-0-58676900-1360302257_thumb.jpg

post-10342-0-70396900-1360302308_thumb.jpg

post-10342-0-78450300-1360302371_thumb.jpg

post-10342-0-87422300-1360302444_thumb.jpg

I love your afghan and the colors I remember when you had the blue afghan display. Do you have your pattern written down I would love to try your idea making this afghan. I love how the post trebbles show the colors and afghan off. I would love to have your pattern and willing to pay for it. Again beautiful afghan thank you for sharing.

I love your afghan and the colors I remember when you had the blue afghan display. Do you have your pattern written down I would love to try your idea making this afghan. I love how the post trebbles show the colors and afghan off. I would love to have your pattern and willing to pay for it. Again beautiful afghan thank you for sharing.

This time when I finish the afghan I AM going to write out the pattern and I'll be needing someone to test it, so if you'd like, you can be my tester because I really would like to make this a "for sale" pattern.   I'm quite happy with the way it turned out after rattling around in my head for so long and feel that it's definitely worth at least a small amount.  I have a few other things swishing around in my brain as well and hope to work up examples of them as soon as I finish this afghan.  It will probably be at least another month until I finish it, though, because we are extremely busy here at the hotel right now (all 111 rooms are full!!!) and I don't have hours each day to crochet like I normally do.  But it will get there.  The toughest thing, I think, is going to be trying to figure what kind of border to put on it, or at least how to finish off the edge.  Fringe?  Chain fringe?  A crocheted border?  I have no clue.  I'll have to see.  :think

Stunning!  I would be interested in testing this pattern for you.  I have done multiple testings for people on here and locally in the past.  I would also be interested in the finished pattern if you do not choose me for testing.

Gorgeous! Being from the UK, I know the exact pack you mean having recently brought one myself. If you want any help with getting Stylecraft yarn, let me know. Just a question, how much was Deramores charging for shipping to the States?

Gorgeous! Being from the UK, I know the exact pack you mean having recently brought one myself. If you want any help with getting Stylecraft yarn, let me know. Just a question, how much was Deramores charging for shipping to the States?

It's free shipping to the States if you spend $50.

Thanks so much, EVERYBODY, for all the very positive feedback!  You folks are SO good for the soul!  :hug

I will post more pics of the afghan when it is finished.  I am planning to make it quite large, there will be at least three and probably more like four repetitions of the color pattern because DH is just under six feet tall and I want the afghan to cover him comfortably when he snuggles under it.  Right now it's just a little under three feet in diameter so it has a bit of a way to go!  :yes

Stunning!  I would be interested in testing this pattern for you.  I have done multiple testings for people on here and locally in the past.  I would also be interested in the finished pattern if you do not choose me for testing.

Thanks, Midds!  That would be great if you would be a second tester.   I will work up the pattern and get an email to you and Crafty Zone sometime this weekend.  I don't know what kind of border I am going to do yet but since it will take a while for you to actually make the afghan I can always get the directions for the border to you in the near future.  I'd like to get this ready and available for sale quickly since I had planned on doing this the LAST time when I made the blue one but never got around to it.  I have procrastinated long enough on this!  Time to move on it!  :yes

Thank you, Skoggy, for your offer of help!  I just may end up taking you up on it at some point in the future!

I don't know what regular shipping is from the UK to the United States, but as KittyLoverDeb has already said, Deramore's has a deal where if you order $50 worth of merchandise the shipping is free.  The cost of the yarn is such that it costs just about $50 for the Lucy Pack, give or take a couple of dollars.  I would maybe have to add an item or two to push it to $50 to get the free shipping. 

I had originally checked the prices at Knitting Warehouse and they wanted $3.69 a skein for the Red Heart Super Saver.  Our WalMart has it (the 7 oz skeins) for $2.49 a skein, but I was afraid they wouldn't have all the colors I wanted because I had decided that I was going to try to match the colors of the Red Heart to the Stylecraft colors as closely as I could.  I think I did a pretty good job but then I got carried away and even added a couple of other colors so that I could graduate each color fairly equally.  Joanne.com had the Red Heart 7 oz. skeins for $2.24 and then I picked up a couple of colors in the 3 oz. skeins that were not available in the 7 oz. skeins for $1.71 a skein!   I ended up with about 7 more skeins than I would have with Deramore's yarn for $49 and change and that included the shipping.  I was so glad that I decided to shop around online a little and not just jump in and buy from the first site!

It's GORGEOUS!!!!!

I would go with a simple border - maybe a rev sc or even just a sc.  I think fringe would take away from the look of the ghan.

I did the same thing - using white to bring out the colors.  Turns out that it's the darker colors like black or navy that make the brighter ones 'pop'.

I can't wait to see it finished!

Elle, I just tried to send you a message but it said you aren't able to receive messages. :(

Hmm, I don't know why that would be because I don't have any blocks or anything on, in fact, I received a message from someone else just last night.  Maybe I need to drop a PM to Amy to let her know, and it might be good for you to do the same so that way she could check and see whether the problem lies with MY account or if it came from your end.  I occasionally get error messages when I go to look at photos or follow links to patterns, it will say that I don't have permission to visit whatever it is I was attempting to see, and then the next time I come in and try to see it, I can go there without a problem.  I REALLY don't like this new forum set-up and another site that I belong to uses the same one and there are all kinds of problems over there.  What browser were you using?  I run into a LOT more problems when I use Chrome and have relatively few problems when I use Internet Explorer.  In fact, if I use Chrome, I can't open ANY links or photos.

It's GORGEOUS!!!!!

I would go with a simple border - maybe a rev sc or even just a sc.  I think fringe would take away from the look of the ghan.

I did the same thing - using white to bring out the colors.  Turns out that it's the darker colors like black or navy that make the brighter ones 'pop'.

I can't wait to see it finished!

Thank you, RoseRed!  I am anxious to see it finished as well!  The more I think about it, NOW it makes sense that the darker color would make the bright colors pop more, but at the time, all I could think of was how well the white would accentuate the colors because it would make the whole piece lighter and brighter.  WRONG!  LOL!  Ah well.  Next time I'll use black in between OR maybe even make one without it and just use the colors.  That's the beauty of crochet, you can make as many as you want, right?  :clap

Archived