Queen Anne's lace stitch...or...pattern at this point

O-Castitatis-Lilium

Question

Hello everyone,

I have been practicing a few of the more complicated stitches and I came across this beautiful and exquisite little stitch...or..patter....not really sure what to call it yet lol. 

But, I bought myself a really cheap ball of yarn, clearance product and a bit on the small ball side. When I went to do this stitch, I realized that it was taking A LOT of the yarn that i had on the little ball. It is asking me to do a second strip and a third strip. I will buy more yarn if I have to, there is no problem with that but, the issue I'm having is with reading the stitch pattern. I have the first 1/3 down but, there are 2/3 that I don't get. this is a long one so please bear with me.

The instructions are from the book Crochet in Plain English by Maggie Reghetti, pages 141-143..

So, the only thing I think I can gather from this is, that it's asking you to make strips of the stitch and then attaching them together somehow... I think, I could very very well be wrong lol. I'm not sure what the difference is between the attaching of the others to be honest, it all reads the exact same to me but, I figured that, there was a reason it was written out as such, something that I'm not getting. It seems rather complicated but at the same time, something is telling me that it only looks complicated lol. 

I always appreciate the help I get from crochetville and all the people here that do help, You have no idea how much you guys help me lol. I thank anyone and everyone that helps in advance just in case I can't get to you in time to quote you and thank you personally for all the help ^-^

6 answers to this question

It looks like itis an older pattern done in motifs. It looks like one that you do the first motif finished then add the 2nd in the last rnd and the 3rd etc. untill you have a strip of motifs, then you will continue adding motifs to that strip as you do them.

If i were going to do this stitch pattern, i would want a good clear photo and/or a stitch symbol diagram. Is there a photo with it? Can you link to the pattern, or tell us what book/mag it is in?

To my rescue again, you come T^T I'm sorry, I feel like such a bother lol. It's from the same book I got from the library. "Crochet in plain english, by Maggie Reghetti pg.141-143 and again, I am ever thankful you come to my aid lol. Thanks again.

It looks like itis an older pattern done in motifs. It looks like one that you do the first motif finished then add the 2nd in the last rnd and the 3rd etc. untill you have a strip of motifs, then you will continue adding motifs to that strip as you do them.

I'm not sure if it's an older pattern or not, I have just picked up this lovely art about a month ago now I believe. I get the part where you keep adding the motifs but, it's the strips and adding strips to strips I don't get...at least that's what I think it's asking lol.

no bother!  if i didn't want to read questions and try to help when I can, I would just log off of Crochetville lol

Righetti says this is a rather over-complicated way to write this pattern, from a 1940s leaflet , but interestingly she didn't shorten or clarify it.  Guess the idea is to practice on an old style pattern.  

the pattern has you make a strip of the lace, which is the first, second, and third motif, and then you keep repeating the third motif to make a long strip.  then to make other strips which are joined to the first, you do the part for the second and third strips. to do this, you just have to sit down and follow it word for word, do everything just like the pattern says.   it will look like the photo on page 141. the strips are joined as you make them, rather than being made separately and then joined.  

But you can make a scarf, for example, by just crocheting one strip.  

edited to add:  Are you reading everything in the book, or just skipping from pattern to pattern?  you will get the most out of the book if you read everything.  there is a lot of instruction and information in the whole book, so you are missing out if you are only looking at the patterns themselves.  

no bother!  if i didn't want to read questions and try to help when I can, I would just log off of Crochetville lol

Righetti says this is a rather over-complicated way to write this pattern, from a 1940s leaflet , but interestingly she didn't shorten or clarify it.  Guess the idea is to practice on an old style pattern.  

the pattern has you make a strip of the lace, which is the first, second, and third motif, and then you keep repeating the third motif to make a long strip.  then to make other strips which are joined to the first, you do the part for the second and third strips. to do this, you just have to sit down and follow it word for word, do everything just like the pattern says.   it will look like the photo on page 141. the strips are joined as you make them, rather than being made separately and then joined.  

But you can make a scarf, for example, by just crocheting one strip.  

edited to add:  Are you reading everything in the book, or just skipping from pattern to pattern?  you will get the most out of the book if you read everything.  there is a lot of instruction and information in the whole book, so you are missing out if you are only looking at the patterns themselves.  

Oh no no, I'm reading the entire thing lol. I never pick up a book, any book, and just leaf through it. A lot of time and effort went into making a book, of any kind, and it would be a waste just to leaf through it. Books like this one especially. She took her time and her knowledge and put it into a book that was, is or might be someday, a vital part of a persons crocheting life lol. Sorry, I'm a huge book reader lol. I'm just really quick with reading and picking things up lol. Like I said, I learn things best if I have them there in front of me and I can work them through lol. I know it seems like I'm going through it just for the patterns but, there is too much info in this book to just leaf through XD lol.

Though, what you are saying makes sense. it's almost like the black eyes susans pattern, in the sense that you link them as you go sometimes, but, with the susans you can makes strips and put them together. with this, it seems you join them as you make them, like you explained. I will work through it again but, I think the yarn I have for doing this one is a little too thick and I wasn't really seeing or being able to feel what I was doing lol. I might try it with a thinner yarn, see if I can work through it better. THANK YOU MAGICCROCHETFAN!!!!!!!!! ^_^

>>>>>>>>>>the pattern has you make a strip of the lace, which is the first, second, and third motif, and then you keep repeating the third motif to make a long strip.  then to make other strips which are joined to the first, you do the part for the second and third strips. to do this, you just have to sit down and follow it word for word, do everything just like the pattern says.   it will look like the photo on page 141. the strips are joined as you make them, rather than being made separately and then joined. <<<<<<<<<< 

I agree. You don't make and add strips but you add the second strip by each motif as you do it. I know they say strips but it is an older pattern and they were often confusing expecting you to know what was wanted. I have some of these booklets and that is the way I see it too.

I edited this post as I had it written wrong.

Archived