yankeeblue

sweetheart ripple help please

8 posts in this topic

I have the pattern for the sweetheart ripple afghan and have made it a couple of times.  This time I would love to make a baby afghan version for my new granddaughter coming in June.  Can anyone please help me convert the amount of chain stitches into what I would need for a nice baby blanket size?  Is there an approximate general baby blanket size?  thanks for your help.

I haven't made this pattern, but when I do a baby blanket I usually make them around 32-36" if that helps you at all :D  Good luck!

Have you considered just using lighter weight yarn? I've done this pattern, but I stuck with the pattern. I'm sure you can just take out a few of the "hearts" to get the size down. I can't remember how many stitches there are to each heart, but I'm sure that will work.

I can't find where I stored my copy of the pattern to figure out the pattern repeat.  You could start with a chain about how wide you want it and then add a few extra stitches for the take up of width by the ripples.  Then work the pattern and get it as wide as you want.  Undo remaining chains.  That way you can use any weight yarn and still have it the size you want.

There's a very long Sweetheart Ripple CAL here.  That thread should be most helpful.  I believe it's in the CAL section

There's a very long Sweetheart Ripple CAL here.  That thread should be most helpful.  I believe it's in the CAL section

thanks RoseRed! that's exactly what I did.  I went to the CAL and found that one person had indeed made the afghan for a baby and suggested 142 chain as the base.  it worked perfect! just what I needed.  and for future afghans...the pattern is

plus or minus 13 to get the correct pattern details. 

thank you all so much! I will post a photo after it is complete! :)

I have the pattern for the sweetheart ripple afghan and have made it a couple of times.  This time I would love to make a baby afghan version for my new granddaughter coming in June.  Can anyone please help me convert the amount of chain stitches into what I would need for a nice baby blanket size?  Is there an approximate general baby blanket size?  thanks for your help.

According to several projects on Ravelry, 155 seems to be the magic number for a baby blanket.