What is the best 'beginning project'

Dave'sGirl

Question

My 33 year old daughter has finally asked me to teach her to crochet. What would be the easiest project to start her out from absolutely no knowledge? It's been forever since I learned at 15 so I can't even begin to remember what I learned on.

8 answers to this question

Bless you for giving your daughter lessons in crochet.  I'd suggest something small, done in double crochet, like a pot holder or scarf.  

I like cotton dishcloths because no matter how they come out you can still use them.  I have lots of beginner projects I did that ended up in the trash.  The ones that are still going are the dishcloths because they may not all be "pretty" but they are all functional.

Something small and usable in a color she likes. Cell phone covers are nice, coin purses, dishcloths/washcloths as everyone else says...light-colored smooth yarn, too, so she can see her stitches. Now is not the time to go for a full-length coat made in fun fur :D

Thanks all. I was thinking of dish cloths. I have enough patterns for all sorts of stitches. She might want to do a scarf for herself or her daughter. I'm thrilled at the opportunity to teach her something. She's a teacher herself :)

I agree with the other posters. Dishcloths, scarves and they can be done in the basic sc, dc, hdc as a start. I would also start with an H or I hook so she can easily manuever the yarn and stitches.

Good luck and have fun.

LI Roe

When someone tells me they want to get started I usually choose to give them

- a light to medium coloured skein - making it easier to see stitches as they work,  of DK Or  Light Worsted - because some fine the heaviness of Crochet off putting, but starting with Fingering/Sock could be too tedious for most beginners.

- a small range of hooks so they can swatch and learn about how the different combinations effect the hand/drape/feel of the fabric.

because I think more people would "stick" with crochet if they understood it is not supposed to be armour plate.

and a copy of Leisure Arts Stitch 63 Easy-To-Crochet Pattern Stitches to Combine To Mak An Heirloom Afghan.

because one could spend the rest of your life taking these patterns and using them within afghans, blankets, kitchen accessories, and most importantly for garments.

Although I often find it on Amazon,  Leisure no longer offers it in Print, but as a download. at:

http://www.leisurearts.com/products/63-easy-to-crochet-pattern-stitches.html 

If it is a family or close friend doing the asking, I will often select a few different colors plus an edging so that they can make the squares in a range fo pleasing to them colors and then put it together later into an afghan.

I do not recommend cotton because it lacks the stretch and forgiveness of a woolen spun yarn (wool or acrylic) although some blends will do nicely. 

Teaches so-o-o-o much, my first copy (I have worn out several) was priced at $3.25 -

The only thing it lacks are Symbol Crochet charts (one of my spare time projects is to put all these into Symbol form for my own use eventually in a blog about my new favorite yarn

Enjoy The Making

Wheat

Archived