Losing my mind over LDC

MamawNaNa

Question

I have gotten so close to finishing this Amish bars afghan. Doing the edge panels now. Going to paste the edge panel instructions. When I work from row 3, I am having a awful time figuring out which is the space, which is the sc, and as I go farther in rows it gets worse. I am simply guessing most of the time. it has been a miracle that 1 of the panels came out right. I am just wondering if there is a simple way to tell what I am looking at. I still can't look at my work and count rows even. I am sooooooo dumb.  I am so close to having a very nice afghan, but now having major problems that can ruin it.

here is the pattern I am using.   http://stg.redheart.com/free-patterns/pattern-correction-amish-bars-throw

5 answers to this question

in the 'edge panel 1" section of the pattern, it says "Row 1: Ch 1, sc in each sc across, turn – 109 sc.

Row 2: Repeat row 2 of center panel 2.
Row 3: Ch 1, sc in first sc, *Ldc over next ch-1 space into corresponding st 2 rows below, sc in next sc;  "

So am I correct that the ldc two rows below is the problem?  

Two rows below is the first row you did for this panel.  it was a row of all sc.  the second row is sc, chain 1, skip an sc, sc in the next sc.  Now in row 3 you will sc in the sc, and do a long dc over the chain space in row 2, into the sc directly below that in row 1. 

So if i understand correctly you can't see the chain spaces in row 2?  Are you using a fuzzy yarn?  that would obscure the spaces. Or if you are crocheting too tightly the spaces could be small and hard to see.  

Please don't feel dumb!  We all have stitches and patterns that we struggle with.  I personally really prefer to use patterns that have a lot of visual information, photos and/or diagrams of the stitches, which this pattern is sadly lacking in.  you can't even really see the textures well at all in the photo. 

Using red heart super saver , I think it is the color causing problems also, it is navy. I wish I had asked sooner because just telling me where I needed to go helped, I have been guessing, I can't tell what is what. I have poor eyesight anyway.   I have done 2 of the edge panels. And worked on 1 of the little squares, I have ripped out  this 3rd edge panel and ripped out this square so many times I am ready to trash it. I want  to change what i do next because I am either going to ruin it or trash it at this point. I think on the other 2 edges I am simply going to do double crochet, alternating with sc, and all the way across which will eliminate the squares. then on the border, the color is different so I think I will try the squares again. maybe even make them and slip stitch them in. Soooo frustrated. I feel like such a failure right now. I am so close to having it done and now I am going to ruin it. I feel like it is the same as everything else I do in my life, I start out ok, then I screw it all up.

Jeannie, stop and take a deep breath!  Walk away from the crochet for a bit if you need to!  The fact that a pattern is confusing or difficult, or even that you decide to rip the whole thing out....none of that makes you a failure!! 

Poor eyesight and navy yarn is not the greatest combination, I grant you, because the dark yarn can be so hard to see.  I've seen the suggestion to put a piece of white cloth on your lap to give contrast so you can see the stitches in the dark yarn better.  So you might try that.  

Have you done all the center panels already?  You know you can edge them any way you want to.  even though you started out with a particular pattern, you can change your mind and do different things with it.  

I have done all the center panels and 2 of the edge panels,.. then it was rime for the squares, instead I am going to go ahead and crochet it all the way across as if iyfdoesnt call for the squares. I even tried making them and slip stitching them in but I couldn

t do it, the main reason is my stitches are not perfect, so it makes it hard. I do hope I get better, I am trying so hard.

Ty magiccrochetfan, I laid it aside, and am ready to tackle it again. i am going to look for wghat you told me rather than blindly guessing where I was supposed to go, hopefully they will be much easier just having a place to aim to. Ty for the encouragement.

Archived