confusing mark and confusing pattern...

O-Castitatis-Lilium

Question

lol I need your help again everyone. I know, it seems like I'm always here lol, people are probably getting tired of my name popping up lol. Let me know if you are lol.

I have a confusing mark in a pattern for the lovers knot I'm trying to figure out here. the pattern goes as follows.

Row 1:scin 2nd ch from hk *to work knot st, #draw up lp on hk 1/4", yo, pull thru lp, insert hk between vertical bar and long lp and draw up a lp,yo,pull thru both lps on hk (knot st made) rep from # once, kip 4 chs,sc in next ch; rep from * across, turn

Row 2: work a knot st, sc in first lp of first knot st of previous row, sc in 2nd lp of same knot st, * work a knot st, sc in first lp on next knot st, sc in 2nd lp of same knot st; rep from *

Now, I think I know what I'm doing. After you make the single crochet, you pull that loop up into a long loop. Then you wrap the yarn around the hook and pull it through. There is now a lin of yarn in front of the big loop. Insert your hook in between the line of yarn and the big loop, wrap your yarn around the hook and pull it through. Then wrap the yarn around your hook again, and pull it through both loops on the hook. I think that's how you do it but, what is confusing me, is the # symbol. It says repeat once but then there is the * symbol before it and it tells you to repeat everything. I'm a little confused lol. 

I haven't gotten to the second row yet but, it looks just as confusing...and with me being confused by the first row, I'm not sure I want to attempt it any more, for the safety of my yarn XD lol. I already had to cut a piece off because a frayed it so much trying to get this mark and stitch (it was a cheap ball, I got it for me to practice with lol so no real harm just, don't want to ruin it unnecessarily). 

Again, and as always,  help is a HUGELY appreciated! ^-^

Thank you all that help me with this in advance if I can't quote you right away to thank you personally! ^-^

6 answers to this question

The # is not conventional crochet notation, nor is it very useful in this case.  You can just ignore it.  It's not to demarcate 2 bits of stitch directions, it's just separting the phrase "to work knot stitch" and its instruction. 

Sometimes crochet patterns will use a double asterisk or other printing symbols to mark a spot, like "repeat from * to * until you reach (mark) and there are 5 stitches left, then do something else".

If the stitch is confusing, google crochet lover's knot, or Solomon's knot. 

The # is not conventional crochet notation, nor is it very useful in this case.  You can just ignore it.  It's not to demarcate 2 bits of stitch directions, it's just separting the phrase "to work knot stitch" and its instruction. 

Sometimes crochet patterns will use a double asterisk or other printing symbols to mark a spot, like "repeat from * to * until you reach (mark) and there are 5 stitches left, then do something else".

If the stitch is confusing, google crochet lover's knot, or Solomon's knot. 

oh ok ...wow I feel dumb now XD LMAO!!!! thank you very much for clearing that up lol. still new to it all, this is like my 4th day in learning all this wonderful stuff, aside from the basic stitches lol.

again, thank you very much ^-^

P.S. love your photo by the way ^-^

The pattern writer could have made this much easier to understand by saying:

Sc in 2nd ch from hk. (Knot st in each of next 2 ch, sk 4 ch, sc in next ch) across to end. Turn.

The pattern writer could have made this much easier to understand by saying:

Sc in 2nd ch from hk. (Knot st in each of next 2 ch, sk 4 ch, sc in next ch) across to end. Turn.

Oh, I see...that does make a little more sense when I put it in place...I'll try that then, Thank you very much ^-^

It looks like the # is being used instead of the *.

hmm....I'll give this change a shot too, anything is better than not trying again at all lol Thank you for the help ^-^

lol I need your help again everyone. I know, it seems like I'm always here lol, people are probably getting tired of my name popping up lol. Let me know if you are lol.

No need to apologize--we're NOT getting tired of your questions--That's what we're here for!!  You'll never learn if you don't ask!  We just wish we'd had something like Crochetville to come to when we were learning!  

Archived