ch 1, sc in ch, ch 1, sk next ch? am i doing this right?

andrushechka

Question

hello artisans! i'm starting a new project, a snood. it's supposed to be "easy" and i'm sure it is, all the same i need a little guidance to get it off the ground. (my first crochet tutor told me the beginning is the hardest, and i'll be damned, she's right every time.) the pattern begins like this --

ch 90 and without twisting ch, sl st in 1st ch to form ring.

rnd 1 (right side): ch 1, sc in ch, ch 1, sk next ch; repeat from * around (45 ch-1 spaces). join with sl st in 1st sc, turn.

the parts in bold are the parts i'm seeking to clarify. is the pattern asking me, at the beginning of rnd 1, to

1. make 1 chain
  2. sc in that 1 chain
  3. make 1 chain again
  4. skip the next ch in the ring
  5. and do it again? 45 times?

here's a picture of my work so far, having only done my interpretation of the ch 1, sc in ch, ch 1, sk next ch part seven times. does it look right? and that said, what does "(45 ch-1 spaces)" mean? i realize, technically, that if i do the ch 1, sc in ch, ch 1, sk next ch part right i will achieve the (45 ch-1 spaces) bit; nevertheless, i would like to know what (45 ch-1 spaces) actually means.

if it seems like i know what i'm doing, this is in fact my second attempt and to my knowledge, i'm not doing anything different. the first time i tried this i didn't end up repeating the ch 1, sc in ch, ch 1, sk next ch part 45 times, so i thought i'd stop here and see what you all think about it.

thanks in advance for the advice you give here... it really does make a difference to those of us who want to learn. ♥

4 answers to this question

no your interpretation is not correct.  the pattern says " ch 1, sc in ch, ch 1, sk next ch; repeat from * around (45 ch-1 spaces). join with sl st in 1st sc, turn. " 

What it means is:  you have chained 90 and joined it into a ring.  It doesn't tell you this, but it is a good idea to put a marker in the first stitch of the ring, the one you slip stitched into.  Ok, now, chain 1, then sc into the first chain of the 90ch ring (not into the ch you just made).  from there on you have it right. 

45 ch-1 spaces does mean what you think it does, that you have made 45 chain-1 spaces.  it is very common for patterns to tell you this at the end of a row or round so you can count your stitches and be sure you are on track, and it is a helpful thing for a pattern to tell us.  .  

thanks for the clarification, kathy! with your input i've successfully completed the first round. i have one final question. rnds 2 through 50 call for a (sc, ch 1) in ea ch-1 space around. does that mean sc into the space created by the skips in rnd 1, chain 1, and sc into the next space corresponding with a skip? it seems like if i do this, i will 'gather' the foundation edge of my piece as though it were a ruffle. perhaps it is supposed to look that way at this stage, but from the picture i can't tell!

the pattern is "hooded cowl", found in a very eclectic book, "cool crocheted hats". it has mixed reviews on amazon b/c some people find some of the patterns to be a little far out (i'm not one of those people) and others claim some of the patterns are incorrect. so far i've had no problems, outside of needing a little clarification from you. i'm making two of the books' designs, both of which you've helped me understand, thank you very much! i'll post photos when i finish!

Archived