beginner knitting needles

jpr54_

9 inch is a good length. here is what they look like http://www.joann.com/clover-bamboo-single-point-knitting-needles-9-size-8-/prd791658/

I would recommend getting 4.5 mm (size 7) or 5 mm (size 8) and use some worsted weight yarn in a light color so the stitches are easy to see.  Yarn with a bit of bounce like Lion brand Woolease, or a pure wool yarn, is good to start with.  

Have fun learning--it is great to be bicraftual ;-)

Wood needles are the easiest for me to work with. Of course it depends on the type of wood and the fiber you are working with. Some fibers can "catch" on some of the woods. Starting off, I used mostly #7, and I agree with magiccrochetfan that 9" is a nice length to work with.

The wonderful lady in my LYS helped me learn to knit, and she suggested that I work with cotton to start off. I made lots of dishcloths that are loved by family, friends and myself. After practicing casting on, gauge and tension on cotton doing small projects, it was not hard to transition to making baby blankets.

Also, one more thing about dishcloths!... There are so many patterns out there! Making dishcloths helps you to learn new stitches and still finish a project rather quickly.

Hope this helps! Have fun!!! :sun

Bamboo ones are nice. If you have to start with aluminum, use the short ones and stay away from very slick yarn until you know what you're doing. I happen to like circulars, even for flat knitting, but straights are handy for a lot of things too--just not the really long ones. 9 or 10" straights or a 24"-29" circular are plenty to deal with at first.

Or you can really cheat, buy yourself a skein of fairly bulky yarn and a 16" circular--maybe an 11--cast on enough stitches to go around your head and knit --just around and around--a tube around 11" long. Cut the yarn with a long tail, run it through all the stitches while they're still on the needle, slide them off and tie it firmly. Instant roll-brim hat! :)

I love the new clover bamboo knitting needles they are smooth and comfortable to use I like that no matter what yarn I use there is no snagging. Also like that they really make a difference to me when I knit. I learn with metal needles many years ago the can be noisy and get sticky just from knitting when I found the bamboo needles they are a blessing to knitting for me. I also have the clover bamboo circular needles too love them. You would have to try to see what is comfortable for you.

Great topic to find, because I've been looking into making knitting needles and wondered what size and length would be good for me to start with....from the making side that is. Glad to see the input. It helps me too.

Archived