Need help with border!

jessicali

Question

I was given 7 skeins of RHSS Aran Fleck yarn to do a afghan for a lady who had started it, but her hands wouldn't let her finish it. I'm basically doing it how she was doing it, but I did have to take her work out, because she's left handed, and we couldn't figure out what size hook she was using (she couldn't remember). 

I did a chain of 135, (skipped 2) then doing HDC's through out the afghan. It will all be done in this color of yarn..

Now my question is.. What type of border do you think would look best? I've only done basic SC's as a border, but was kind of wanting something cutesy or more creative than just a SC! 

Any links to your favorite borders? I'm about 3/4 the way done with 1 of the skeins, so I have plenty of time to figure out how I will be doing it.

I'm thinking about doing just the basic shell stitch but still unsure of how it would look!!

post-46820-0-83257200-1360080637_thumb.jpg

7 answers to this question

I think anything would really look cute since the pattern itself is basic and not much going on.  I do have a border book that I look through for ideas and then ultimately always use a reverse sc for the final round.  I think the shell border would compliment it well and still keep it simple :yes  I think I have close up pics of my borders on my Ravelry page with my ghans if you wanted to take a peeksee :lol

the scallop that Skoggy linked to is one of the simplest and most effective edgings, in my opinion.  Simple is good because you don't have to have a particular stitch count, and it is easy to skip an extra st if you need to, or skip one less if needed to make it fit.  You would not have to do a round of sc first, you could just do the scallop part right onto the edges of the dc.  you may want to bunch up the scallops to go around the corners without looking stretched.  

if you want to see a lot of very nice edgings that include the corners, E Eckman's book Around the Corner Crochet Borders has a whole bunch of them.  you should be able to get it from your local library.  it also talks about how to figure out your own edging to suit the project you have. 

Thank you all for the suggestions :) 

the scallop that Skoggy linked to is one of the simplest and most effective edgings, in my opinion.  Simple is good because you don't have to have a particular stitch count, and it is easy to skip an extra st if you need to, or skip one less if needed to make it fit.  You would not have to do a round of sc first, you could just do the scallop part right onto the edges of the dc.  you may want to bunch up the scallops to go around the corners without looking stretched.  

if you want to see a lot of very nice edgings that include the corners, E Eckman's book Around the Corner Crochet Borders has a whole bunch of them.  you should be able to get it from your local library.  it also talks about how to figure out your own edging to suit the project you have. 

I will have to look for this book tomorrow!! Just got home from errands & appointments - and not getting back out! 

Jessica - you're afghan looks great! I personally am a huge fan of the late Jean Leinhauser who amongst all her other crochet pattern books and works wrote two very handy, clear and concise pattern leaflets for Leisure Arts called -

*50 Crocheted Afghan Borders  #4382

*50 More Crocheted Afghan Borders #4531

These are my "go to" pattern leaflets for borders - even though you've only done basic borders  and you don't do one for this ghan you will truly be inspired for the next one!

Jessica - you're afghan looks great! I personally am a huge fan of the late Jean Leinhauser who amongst all her other crochet pattern books and works wrote two very handy, clear and concise pattern leaflets for Leisure Arts called -

*50 Crocheted Afghan Borders  #4382

*50 More Crocheted Afghan Borders #4531

These are my "go to" pattern leaflets for borders - even though you've only done basic borders  and you don't do one for this ghan you will truly be inspired for the next one!

Thank you! I will look into these also :)

Archived