dishrag yarn bleeding through

MamawNaNa

Question

I made my mom the dishrag with the red/white/blue   peaches and cream, when she was dishes the blue and red are bleeding onto the white. She is just using reg dish soap, no bleach. This is frustrating to me. I bought several that have mult. colors and am now afraid to make dishrags with it. Any ideas?   I suggested she try soaking it in saltwater to see if that would work. I was very embarrassed, 1st I ever gave to anyone.

Jeannie

4 answers to this question

I have experienced a lot of fading with cotton dishcloths but not bleeding. You could use the white vinegar wash solution to set the colors more. Here is a link to a past thread on the forum that has some tips. Maybe another member has a more up to date solution for you. Hope you can work it out.

I try washing the article I made with the new sheet you throw into the washer to catch any color that bleeds.  Some of the Peaches and cream had that problem, but it seems to be the darker colors.  Most of the reds and greens and other colors did not.

I would try washing them with the vinegar before you use them.

I try washing the article I made with the new sheet you throw into the washer to catch any color that bleeds.  Some of the Peaches and cream had that problem, but it seems to be the darker colors.  Most of the reds and greens and other colors did not.

I would try washing them with the vinegar before you use them.

I completely forgot about the sheet you mentioned for the wash- What a great tip Mary Jo!

I see that someone else has pointed you in the direction of Shout's Color Catcher (Laundry Aisle) 

That really is your best option.  White Vinegar may not really be a solution for a commercially dyed yarn. "Back in the day" and even today it is used to "set" dyes on animal/protein fibers (wool, mohari, silk, etc) it was not used for Vegetal fibers (cotton, rayon, etc)

Today's chemical dyes are formulated differently and all the Vinegar does is act as a rinse aid, but not a setting solution.

If you keep separate pots for dye work, you might also find that simmering with a dye catcher is less wearing on the newly completed product and has the advance of risking loose dye from other items in the wash load. 

Here is a link to a blog post about making your own - you can sometimes find soda ash in craft stores - ev en the left overs from one of those tye dye kits can make quite a few.

http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/2012/08/make-your-own-laundry-color-catchers.html

Enjoy The Making

Wheat

Archived