AmethystOT

Question

Hi All!

I found some bulky weight (Lion Brand Homespun, if it helps) in a beautiful variegated teal color that I cannot seem to be able to work with.  I had been trying with a K hook (as a 'noob' I only have a K and a G hook right now) and make the loosest possible chain I can. I get my first row started ok, but when it comes to doing the second I seem to lose all the stitches :bang and end up with too many or too few.... I have such a hard time figuring out what is a stitch and what is just the ripple in the yarn!! 

Does anyone have any tips/tricks for working with this type of yarn??  I am hoping to avoid having to mark every single stitch if I can!!

Thanks!! :) 

12 answers to this question

To work with Homespun (which is one of my favorites) you sort of have to just "feel" the stitches until you get used to working with it.  Probably not the best yarn for someone who is new to crochet to be using without getting very frustrated! :) 

To work with Homespun (which is one of my favorites) you sort of have to just "feel" the stitches until you get used to working with it.  Probably not the best yarn for someone who is new to crochet to be using without getting very frustrated! :) 

Yes, what she said. I think I used a pretty big hook when working with that yarn, maybe N? The other bad thing about it is that when you take out the stitches, the yarn sort of loses its shape so you really can't make a lot of mistakes. It's so cozy but I would suggest tabling it until you're a little more experienced.

I used an N when I first worked with Homespun not realizing that a Boye and Bates N are very different sizes.  The Bates is much larger and it didn't hold the stitch definition well.

It's a difficult yarn to work with.  Keep at it and practice.  It does get easier.  Working with boucle is much the same.  The fuzz of the yarn obscures the stitch definition.

Love that yarn and a K is good but as said not good for a beginner and you have to just feel for your stitches.  That yarn makes wonderful prayer shawls and also good for making the potato chip scarves.  Mary

Hi, Mary.  Pray tell me--what is a potato chip scarf?

I have worked with it a couple of times, and I gave it away.  I just don't like Homespun.  If you really like it, you might also try stranding a solid colored yarn, thinner, maybe lighter, so that you can see the stitches better.

You can try to work between the stitches (posts) of the previous row instead of into the top of the stitch. Like this:

http://www.stitchdiva.com/tutorials/crochet/crochet-in-between-posts-of-stitches

Much easier technique when working with highly textured yarns.

This might just work for me!! I'm in love with the color and hate the thought of returning the yarn!

Archived