Real 4oz skein of yarn from MH Yarn Inc. in Hempstead NY

LI Roe

Hi all,

I was poking around my containers last night, looking for something specific when I pulled out a skein of a color I decided to use, checked the weight and saw it was actually an old 4 oz (remember them?, LOL) skein made in the USA. Then I noticed it said MH Yarn Inc, Hempstead NY, which is only a few miles from where I live.I did try to google it but apparently not there anymore.

I had been given a rather huge donation of yarn years ago, before I retired in 1999, so it was in that stash. It just said Sayelle yarn of Orlon on it.

Thought it was cool that it was 1) a 4 oz skein, which are dinosaurs now and 2) from a local town. Anyone remember or know of this company? It is fun to find stuff like this.

LI Roe

I actually have  old 4 oz. skein that says Sayelle on it, 100% dupont orlon acrylic, it has a Montgomery Ward price tag of $1.37  . It was my Grandmas and she has been gone now 7 years...was 101 yrs old. And I am sure she had not crocheted in many many years.  I looked and it has nothing about NY, just has Chicago listed.  my mom just gave it to me and I am using it to make my 1st toothfairy dill...a practice 1. Turning out pretty good, but I sneeze and sneeze and sneeze when using it.

Orlon acrylic was the best, softest acrylic that used to be made, like Sayelle, then slowly all the yarn labels began to state the yarn was just acrylic.

Archived