Owl Fingerless Mitt cable stitch help needed.

ArtMama

Question

I've completed a headband that was cable stitch, so I understand how the cable stitch works, skipping stitches, then 2 fpdc and go back to skipped stitches and fpdc. I'll admit, I really enjoyed doing this.

So, now I found an owl mitt pattern on Ravelry, that has the cable stitches. But I'm stumped. I'm hoping someone, here, will help me decipher it. Here is the link: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/owl-mitts-2    I think that they are so cute and I'm excited to wear them!

My problem is on Rnd. 3 at the Owl Cross. I'm going to copy/paste Rnd. 2 and 3 and explain where my problem is..."R2: ch 2, 15 dc, 2 fpdc, 8 dc, 2 fpdc, 2 dc, sl to join. (30)

R3: ch 2, 15 dc, OWL CROSS, 2 dc, sl to join. (30)"   

Here is a c/p of the Owl Cross:  "OWL CROSS: skip 4 stitches, 2 fptr, ch 2, reach in front of the trebles and fptr in each of the 2
fpdcs you skipped, skip 4 stitches, 2 fptr (into the far pair of fpdc's), ch 2, reach behind the
trebles and fptr in each of the 2 fpdcs you skipped, skip past the rest of the cabling,"

My problem is this: After I ch 2 and do the 15 DC...I do the first half of the Owl Cross. I found it confusing because I felt like there were skipped dc's in between the 2 sets of fptr. THEN it says to skip 4 and do 2 fpdc into the far pair of fpdc (ok, no problem, but it seems like it skips a bunch and it wants to buckle). here is where i get CONFUSED: I understand what it means to ch 2 reach behind the trebles and fptr in each of the "2 FPDC's YOU SKIPPED"...where are they? I don't see anything but dc's that I skipped. there was only 2 FPDC's over there, and I just used them! I look up at Rnd 2 and it appears I followed it to a T. There are only 2 sets of fpdc in round 2. I'm so confused.

If I have made any sense as to what my problem is, I'd appreciate help. It was confusing to type it all out!
Thanks in advance..

3 answers to this question

Well, I read this pattern's comments on Ravelry, and I am not the only one that has faced this exact problem! Some others have made suggestions to help. I'm going to try those suggestions out and if it does not help, I'm frogging the whole thing. I don't have time to decipher poorly written patterns.

If you don't have any luck deciphering that pattern, I can heartily recommend this one - http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/its-a-hoot-owl-texting-gloves

I tested this designer's beanie pattern and loved it; when she published the gloves I snatched the pattern up.  She has some other patterns using this owl cable design too.  :-)

Archived