Gardener

Problems with replying

32 posts in this topic

This morning when I replied to a post, I was able to change type colors, increase text size, etc. now I am not seeing any of those options. I tried logging out and logging back in, but that did not help. I assume that I changed a setting or something, but I can't figure out what it is.

I have the same problem. I replied to a post and cannot figure out how to underline, add smilies, etc. Nothing on the screen is showing except for the "attach file" clip.

Works for me, but not using the quick reply.  You have to hit the reply to this topic button to get the panel for the controls.

Works for me, but not using the quick reply.  You have to hit the reply to this topic button to get the panel for the controls.

I tried that, it doesn't work for me that way either.

Cindy, try clearing your browser's cookies and cache. If you still have problems, post and let me know which browser you're using (and version) and which operating system (and version) you're using.

I was able to use my behind-the-scenes feature to see what you should be seeing, and all those options are displaying for me in Firefox and Chrome.

I just responded in the other thread with a likely fix, Cindy.

I am not able to see any of the items I should be seeing for smilies, posting pics, underlining - none of that - yet, I had them the other day and used some of them. I will keep looking around. I have tried "reply to post" and "reply to this topic" and neither works for me today. I don't know what "other thread" has the likely fix in it, but will keep looking around.

1 person likes this

If you're on an iPad or iPhone, you won't see those things due to limitations with the device's iOS/software.

If you're on a PC, look in the top right hand corner of your reply box. Click the little arrow there. It should open up the text box and make your menu appear.

I'm on my PC and don't see any arrow. I tried all the various ways of replying to a post/thread and editing my post and no little arrow. I have AOL which has always worked fine. Vista - works fine - no problems. If I try and use any other like Firefox, etc. my PC doesn't like it because I have dial up.

All I have is to the right of this box Enable emoticons/signature and follow this topic. I have emoticons and signature checked. Below this box is two browse buttons and Attach Files. That's all that is showing in or around the box.

Did you know there are 190 birthdays today? WOW!

Luckybmr, please take a screen shot of what you're seeing. Also tell me which browser and operating system you're using, along with software. Are you using actual AOL software and a browser built in to that? If so, what you're seeing is limitations with their software, just as those visiting the forum on iPad/iPhone have to deal with limitations of that operating system/software.

Going to need more info - I am not a very good computer person - operating system? I use AOL to connect to the internet. Have Windows Vista. 32 bit. Internet Explorer. What else? I was able to get smilies and everything on Thursday or Friday and now I can't. Nothing different on my end.

Screen shot - got one, but no way to insert it here. Cut/paste doesn't work and I can't insert a picture.

You use the paper clip attachment down at the bottom of the text box to attach your photos.

Windows Vista is your operating system.

I also need to know which version of Internet Explorer you're using. If you're using an older version, it may not be fully compatible with the new IPS software. You can find your version number by clicking the Help tab at the top of the screen and selecting About Internet Explorer.

Back in the early days of the internet, if you used AOL's dial-up, you opened the AOL program to connect to the internet and used the browser built in to that program. Do you still do that or do you have to open up Internet Explorer separately after you're connected?

Does your reply box look like the one below? You can click on the photo to see it bigger.

notoolbox.png

I have Internet Explorer 9, and I see everything just fine in the reply box.

Everyone who cannot see the full post toolbar (if you're not using an iPhone or iPad), log off, clear your browser's cookies and cache, close your browser and reboot it, then try to log in and post again.

Paper clip attachment doesn't work.

Internet Explorer 7. I do not open IE separately after I connect with AOL. I can try that - tomorrow.

My Reply Box looks just like your picture.....except no arrow.

All of this stuff worked just the other day and now it doesn't. So, I will keep looking around.

Oh ya, Crochetville will not let me Sign Out. Click on it and it just refreshes the screen. I finally got it to Sign me out after I tried to post this.....it told me I wasn't logged in. So, I tried all - logged out, cleared all the cookies and everything, closed browser, rebooted and still no smilies or anything.

I give up for today. Will play around some more tomorrow.

I see my above post is all one paragraph - that is not how I typed it. So, that isn't working either - that happened earlier in the week, but had been working fine until now.

Did you actually clear the cache? That's different from clearing cookies.

Someone on the IPS support boards suggested you check Internet Explorer to see if you have compatibility mode turned on. I tried that with my Internet Explorer, but it didn't have any affect on anything.

I also suggest not using the IE built in to AOL. It has been notorious in the past for not working with many different types of websites. Try using your stand-alone IE.

You may also want to update Internet Explorer to the latest version. It may just be that your older version is not going to work properly with this forum software. In that case, you can use another browser or update IE to the most current version.

fwiw tonight I am unable to make text larger, but this is with the same computer/browser that doesn't like to let me return to the original forum list without having to go to see new content.  The tool bar is there..it just won't do anything to the text.

It also won't let me use the smilies.  But, I seriously wonder if it is either this browser or my computer.  I'd like to blow this computer up, but maybe just replacing the hard drive :D  < typed in smilie

fwiw tonight I am unable to make text larger, but this is with the same computer/browser that doesn't like to let me return to the original forum list without having to go to see new content.  The tool bar is there..it just won't do anything to the text.

It also won't let me use the smilies.  But, I seriously wonder if it is either this browser or my computer.  I'd like to blow this computer up, but maybe just replacing the hard drive :D  < typed in smilie

Mary, I'd like to try to duplicate what you're experiencing, but I need a lot of information to be able to do that. Please tell me:

The browser you're using (and version)

The operating system you're using (and version)

The problem of not returning to original forum list: Please tell me what page you start on, every page you click in order, any back buttons you hit, basically single step you do until you don't get back where you tried to go.

I think I may tend to navigate differently from most people. I just click the New Content button, then right click and open up a new window for any thread I want to view, so the original list of threads is always there for me to go back to.

Maybe I can duplicate your problem and come up with a fix if I know exactly what you're doing.

Google Chrome v 24.0.1312.56m

Windows 7 home premium SP1

When I come to the Ville I almost always click on New content.  I will browse through and click on a thread (never thought to open up in a new window..LOVE that idea!) and typically go through the thread.  I can't remember if I've ever used a quote when replying had having the issue. So I will type a reply, post it, and when I use the back command it will go back to the thread where my post now shows, but when I try to go back from there to the forum/new content it is like if can't remember that it was there. Can I get it to do it tonight?  nope of course not! I did clear the cache and cookies as you had suggested before but, that didn't help.  

Honestly Amy it just may well be this weird computer!

Edited by FrLopLady

Thanks, Mary. I also have Windows 7 and practically the same version of Chrome (mine is .57m).

I was unable to duplicate that problem. It sounds like you're not having the problem right now, either?

When you cleared the cookies and cache before, were you still logged in when you did it? Sometimes, you need to log out, clear cookies and cache, close browser, [sometimes insert restart computer here], restart the browser, then log in again.

Ok - I am trying this from work.  When I just type in the Reply to this topic box, I see the arrow and it works to show me everything I need.  However, in the Thank you thread for the current Wish Lists, I go there and do the same thing and there is no arrow showing.  I kind of play around in the arrow area and sometimes it shows up and sometimes it doesn't.  Maybe there is a bug in it some where causing some of the problem.

I will try going thru IE from home directly instead of thru AOL and see if that makes a difference at home.  Like I said before, it worked from home for a few times without me doing anything different, so it really should work now.