Help Me with New Crochetville!

Amy

Are you having trouble figuring out how to do certain things here at Crochetville? IPS has some wonderful built-in help files that will probably have the answers you need.

Here's a list of the help files and what each one can help you with.

Logging In and Out

• How to log in and out from the board
  • How to remain anonymous and not be shown on the active users list
  • What to do if you forget your password

Your Settings

• Show or hide your birthday
  • Add or update profile information
  • Add friends
  • Update email and password
  • Edit signature
  • Ignore: hide individual member's posts, signatures, chats, status updates, or other aspects of a member that you wish to hide
  • Connect with Facebook
  • Manage your attachments: see all photos and documents you've attached to any of your posts
  • Notification options: set whether you wish to be notified of thread replies/private messages/new topics and how you want to receive those notifications

Topics and Forums

• Topic List Icons and What They mean
    • t_unread_dot.pngThis indicates that you have previously replied in this topic, and there are new replies since you last read or replied to the topic.
    • t_read_dot.pngThis is a topic which you have participated in, with no new replies since you last read it.
    • t_unread.png A regular topic with unread posts.
  • How to start a new topic
  • How to sort the topic list
  • Viewing posts and profiles
  • What the Like Button in posts means
  • How to reply to a post
  • Sharing topics with others
  • Polls
  • Notifications

Posting

• Use the post editor to make your posts pretty
  • How to create a poll
  • Adding photos to your post
  • Adding PDF files to your post

Personal Messenger

• Finding conversations
  • Deleting conversations
  • Managing notifications and messages
  • Starting a new conversations
  • Replying to a conversation
  • Adding new people to a conversation
  • Reporting a personal message
  • Managing your messenger folders

Members

• How to find another member
  • What's on a member's profile

Searching

• Quick search
  • Advanced options
  • Inline search
  • Results

Calendar

• See upcoming events like swaps, our conference and show appearances, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for this post. I had figured most of it out but there were still a few things that had me lost.

I do have one question though... I see that some of members have thier pixel icons (I think that's what they were called) indicating that they have patterns, are an indie designer, etc... Do we have to request those again? I was hoping mine would show up on their own but so far they haven't. :(

I know I am probably the only one annoyed with this, but is there anyway, you can get rid of the side bar.  If not how about just for me? 

I have enclosed pictures of what I mean.

post-105-0-11247500-1361893387_thumb.jpg

post-105-0-20984800-1361893396_thumb.jpg

When it is overlapping the side of the posts like that, I can see your point. It does that for me on my iPad because the screen is narrower than on my Mac where the social sharing buttons are further left over on the crochet background.

I've been working on a collapse feature so that people who don't want to see the sharing buttons could collapse them, but I haven't got it working yet.

I am going to continue trying to find a way for people to hide them.

Here is how they appear for me:

screenshot-pinterest-and-social-buttons.png

I know I am probably the only one annoyed with this, but is there anyway, you can get rid of the side bar.  If not how about just for me? 

I have enclosed pictures of what I mean.

since I don't partake in any of that,not on facebook,nor do I tweet,pineterest ia another mindless thing to keep you on the net

anyway I do find it annoying also,couldn't it be at the bottom of the page out of sight?

couldn't it be at the bottom of the page out of sight?

If people have to hunt for the social sharing buttons, it's less likely they'll use them.

I am still working on the ability to hide it for those who don't want it.

I'm so used to seeing this on different websites that I had to look when I read this thread.  i just ignore them to the point that I don't even see them.  A collapse feature would be really cool for those that find them annoying.

Tampa Doll - I just love your sense of humor!

Thanks a collapsable one would b e perfect.  I just find my eyes going over there and a couple of times I clicked on them without knowing it.

Oh and the second picture was put together by John himself.  He thought it was hysterical.

In another thread, someone  said the read / unread icons were too similar and thus hard to read. I've changed them to new ones. What do you think?

Topics and Forums

• Topic List Icons and What They mean
    • t_unread_dot.pngThis indicates that you have previously replied in this topic, and there are new replies since you last read or replied to the topic.  
    • t_read_dot.pngThis is a topic which you have participated in, with no new replies since you last read it.  
    • t_unread.png A regular topic with unread posts.   

I used a speech balloon with a green + for topics you have participated in and a speech balloon with a red - for topics you have not participated in.

Here is how the old ones looked:

screenshot_old_read_unread_icons.png

• 2 months later...

In another thread, someone  said the read / unread icons were too similar and thus hard to read. I've changed them to new ones. What do you think?

I used a speech balloon with a green + for topics you have participated in and a speech balloon with a red - for topics you have not participated in.

Here is how the old ones looked:

attachicon.gifscreenshot_old_read_unread_icons.png

:( I still see the old type of these icons... Why??? :cry

:( I still see the old type of these icons... Why??? :cry

Sorry, those were reverted to the default icons when Invision did an upgrade for us. I will get the correct ones up.

I wasn't sure where to post my suggestion so I've posted it here http://www.crochetville.com/community/topic/146355-to-better-know-each-others/#entry2566307

and I wonder what do you think about it :)

I already replied to this in the forum you posted the questions in!  I really like this idea!

Archived