How do you use your yarn?

jessicali

The title of this thread might not make sense - but I have always been curious as to how others "use" their yarn. I say use, for lack of better word I guess. Pregnancy brain might be getting to me but I just can't think of anything else that might work!!

So when you get a new skein of yarn - do you unthread it from the middle or from the outside?

My MIL has borrowed some of my yarn before for small projects and has often gotten some of my new skeins. when giving it back to me, it drives me nuts because she does it from the outside, so then I have 2 strands (I pull mine from the inside - It just stays neater that way in my opinion!) 

There have been times when I haven't been able to find the middle strand, so I have HAD to use it from the outside, but I don't like to! 

I usually pull it from the center and some wrappers (these are older skeins though)  have a little arrow on it to tell where to pull it from, whether it is from the inside or the outside. Some skeins, depending on the type of yarn, are easier from the outside.

LI Roe

I prefer to pull from the center, but a lot of the Lion Brand skeins aren't pull skeins, so I automatically work all skeins from them from the outside. I also work all cotton balls from the outside.

I would use from the center, but lately I've had a lot of trouble finding the ends.  I have used from the outside but I don't really like to.  Lately, I have been winding most of my skeins into balls.  I've also been wanting a ball winder!

when I buy the yarn myself,I kind of look for that center pull yarn

with some brands its been difficult to find the center thread,especially ones that are made in Turkey

those I usually have to completely roll up with the yarn winder

I prefer to pull from the center whenever possible also.  There's nothing worse than getting home with what you believe is (and should be) a center pull skein and no end is in site!  Yarn barf, bleh!  I think a yarn winder might be on my birthday list this year, :lol

Since my yarn is often charity donations it usually left over balls or part of a skein. These I use however they arrive.

I get a few new skeins and those I pull from the center. Its the way I prefer to work.

Archived