Your Suggestions for Our New Look

Amy

Hello there everyone :hi

I just wandered into this thread and wanted to add my 2 cents.  I've just been using bold type to be able to read it easier.  I agree the white background is a bit troublesome on the eyes and can't say that I know what you're talking about by the color changing or being softer, sorry.  But, I also realized that I think the problem I was having was more about the post and the quoted post being pretty much the same.  The box around the quoted post just isn't enough to make it jump out from the reply.  So realizing that it's difficult to change background colors and such because it affects all other aspects of the site, is there a way to make the quoted portion a different shade so it's more readily distinguished as an original separate post?  That would also help to break up the rest of the white I think.  Does that make sense?  I hope I conveyed that thought right :eek

Overall though, I like the site and I love that when I use the last post read button, it actually takes me to the last post read even if I've been logged in for a while.  Sometimes if I got sidetracked or didn't move through my regular forums quick enough on the old site it have me updated as having 'read' those posts between my last visit and when I came back for the next visit even though I hadn't even been in that thread.  That's a huge bonus for me :D  Again, I hope I said that right!

Oh, one other thing I was wondering about but didn't see an option for in the help topic section.  Is it possible to change up the way we view our threads, like can I make mine show only 10 posts per page or does have to be whatever it's set at?

All in all, great job ladies :yay  Thanks for all your hard work and also caring about all of us enough to ask for feedback :ghug

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me, the Go to Next Unread Post option is wonky.  

I'm logged in (Mac on Safari browser), I click in the upper right to see the unread content.  Some threads I know I've been to before do not display the unread post option at all, and those that do will sometimes take me to the right post, other times, will take me close but not where I was.  With 20 posts per page, it's a lot of wasted time scrolling around to find the spot where I left off to start reading the new content in the thread again.  

This is probably the most annoying thing for me since the format change because it's major searching/scrolling for every thread I'm trying to read.

I have been able to duplicate some of this behavior and I think I may have figured out what is happening.

If there is new content in a topic I have read since we moved to the new software, then it displays properly in View New Content, with an unread posts icon, and when I click that icon, it goes to the correct place.

If the topic is one I have not read since we moved to the new software (meaning the last time I read the topic was when we were on the old software), the new posts icon takes me to the beginning of the thread.

I think this may be what is causing the problems you are experiencing. If you can keep an eye out for this (whether it is a thread you have/have not yet read in the new software), that may give us the answer.

I have been able to duplicate some of this behavior and I think I may have figured out what is happening.

If there is new content in a topic I have read since we moved to the new software, then it displays properly in View New Content, with an unread posts icon, and when I click that icon, it goes to the correct place.

If the topic is one I have not read since we moved to the new software (meaning the last time I read the topic was when we were on the old software), the new posts icon takes me to the beginning of the thread.

I think this may be what is causing the problems you are experiencing. If you can keep an eye out for this (whether it is a thread you have/have not yet read in the new software), that may give us the answer.

This very well may be the case.  I have found that if I use the bullet links next to the thread titles rather than clicking on the thread titles themselves, the forum behaves appropriately and I get sent to the correct spot in the thread.  Thank you, Donna, for getting back to me on this!  I'm really liking the new format.  :) 

You're welcome, Cindra!

Sorry, I forgot to mention that! Yes, you have to click the bullet link to get to the right spot. Clicking the topic title will take you to the beginning of the topic.

Ooh, the bullets changed!! I can actually tell the difference between threads in which I posted and other threads now! Woohoo! Thank you.  :cheer

(Could I request the same thing for the mobile site, pretty please?) :)

You're welcome! I'm glad you like the new bullets! The default ones were terrible, really.

It should be easy to do that for the mobile skin as well. Any other requests for the mobile skin? I've looked at it, but I don't really use it for reading the forum, so I'm sure there are things needed that I won't notice.

Much better, thank you. :)

The only other thing we really need on the mobile site right now is pagination. There's no way to tell which page you're on (other than looking at  the end of the url in the address bar). :think  When you're playing games, oftentimes you can end up posting something in reply to a post several pages ago (esp. as game pages fill quickly).

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to bump this up and see if there was any news re: the mobile skin. :)

Also... is anybody else seeing the old blue (hard to read) bullets rather than the new green & red 'text bubble' ones? The blue bullets just reappeared today, not sure why... :think

I'll have to let Donna answer about the mobile skin.

I'll let her know out about the icons for read/unread as well. We had to install a new forum upgrade, and it restored the original graphics. Donna just needs to upgrade her new ones.

• 3 weeks later...

My "likes" aren't showing anymore, is this happening to anyone else? If I 'like' someone's post it changes the like button to 'unlike, but it doesn't show me that I've "liked" it with my name there the way it used to... just wondering if anyone else has noticed this.

Also, I've had a couple of notifications come thru from others that they liked a post that I made, but I'm not seeing anyone's names in any threads to see that either, to know what I said that they liked.

Actually, nothing seems to be working with my "likes" at all, mine or the ones from other members.

Am I the only one that has this problem? Maybe I clicked on something somewhere....

My "likes" aren't showing anymore, is this happening to anyone else? If I 'like' someone's post it changes the like button to 'unlike, but it doesn't show me that I've "liked" it with my name there the way it used to... just wondering if anyone else has noticed this.

Also, I've had a couple of notifications come thru from others that they liked a post that I made, but I'm not seeing anyone's names in any threads to see that either, to know what I said that they liked.

Actually, nothing seems to be working with my "likes" at all, mine or the ones from other members.

Am I the only one that has this problem? Maybe I clicked on something somewhere....

Hmm, I just tried "liking" your post and it changed to "unlike" but that's all.  It didn't put my name next to it which I thought it used to.

Hmm, I just tried "liking" your post and it changed to "unlike" but that's all.  It didn't put my name next to it which I thought it used to.

Your name isn't showing for me to see you liked it, either, but I did get the notification that you liked something on this thread, Didn't it used to bring us right to the post when we got that notification and clicked on it? Seems to me it did, or I would have never found them otherwise.

I "liked' your post too, so you should get notified... wonder if you'll see that I liked it.

Your name isn't showing for me to see you liked it, either, but I did get the notification that you liked something on this thread, Didn't it used to bring us right to the post when we got that notification and clicked on it? Seems to me it did, or I would have never found them otherwise.

I "liked' your post too, so you should get notified... wonder if you'll see that I liked it.

I got the same thing you did, a notification that you had liked something I said in this thread.  That's it.  Looks like Amy or Donna have some more exploring to do, lol, unless they already know and want it that way.

Thanks for letting us know about this. I am looking into it. I can still see the list of who has liked my posts, so it's possible some permissions may need to be tweaked. Also, if someone likes your post and then unlikes it, their name will not show on the list of those who have liked it.

Thanks for letting us know about this. I am looking into it. I can still see the list of who has liked my posts, so it's possible some permissions may need to be tweaked. Also, if someone likes your post and then unlikes it, their name will not show on the list of those who have liked it.

Donna, I just "liked' your post, but I can't see my name there that I did, it just switched to 'unlike',,  Does it show you that I 'liked' it?, just wondering? I went back thru a few of my notifications, I couldn't link back to any of the liked posts, it just brought me to the very first one in that thread instead of the one that was cited.

I thought if I 'liked' your post -above, you could see what I what talking about... did your notification link receive bring you right back to this exact section or to the very first post of this thread? it used to bring us right to the posting we hit the like button on, it doesn't any more.

Also, all of our previous likes in our history seem to have disappeared, I checked back on several of my old ones from last month and they aren't there anymore, as a matter of fact, I can't find one anywhere, not sure if it's just me or if they are all gone for everyone.

Archived