Rectanglular Rug Pattern

Kittaly

Question

I'm looking for a pattern similar to this. http://www.etsy.com/listing/68448913/crocheted-rectangular-shabby-chic-rag

I've seen round, oval and half circle and rectangle but not like that. I googled it, I went to CPC, nothing like that. I know it's not particularly uncommon, I've seen those types of rugs often enough so I'm surprised I can't find a pattern.

12 answers to this question

Oh. I think Cindy's rug would work. Cindy, how stiff is it? I'm actually not looking to use this as rug. I want to put two of them together and use it to replace the beaded seat cover in my truck.

Its not too stiff in t-yarn as the t-shirts I used had a soft texture to them. I think it would work for a seat cover if that is what you are doing. Not sure if you need to put two together but you can see how yours comes out after crocheting one piece.

Well it can't be any worse than those bead things. I'm so tired of replacing those bead things. I did find a place that sells seatbelt webbing and buckles that slid kind of like a man's belt buckle to use as a support around the seat since I know elastic won't last long.

I'm figuring on a back and bottom. I need the support for my back the seat only sits so strait and it's not strait enough. I'm a tiny thing driving a jacked up '93 Blazer and need the height so I'm not sure what kind of fabric to even. I'll have to buy something because I don't have any old shirts or even sheets to use.

........ I need the support for my back the seat only sits so strait and it's not strait enough. I'm a tiny thing driving a jacked up '93 Blazer and need the height so I'm not sure what kind of fabric to even. I'll have to buy something because I don't have any old shirts or even sheets to use.

Kittaly, if you plan on buying your material, I'd try the local Goodwill and Sal's first... those tees with ads on the front are usually only a dollar.. and go to the big guys section... the more xxx's the better, you'll get more fabric!

Sheets and curtains can be found there pretty cheap, too, be sure to check both sections. Even a single strand of bright orange/aqua/red yarn worked in with a pale washed out sheet will look good when it's crocheted into a rug... or in you case, a seat mat.

Ask all of your friends, everybody had an old tee they never wear, just a couple from here and there will add some variation in your colors and it's surprising just how far you can make that one tee shirt go.

Beware, rugmaking is addicting... I have them all over the house, some are 20 years old and are still going strong, even being tossed in the washer and dryer every month.

Oh that is a wonderful idea! I never thought of that. My sister and I used to go consignment shopping all the time.

Beware, rugmaking is addicting...

Good, we've put ceramic tile down throughout our entire house so we always need more rugs. :)

Forgot to mention, the last rug I made I used a single strand of heavy twine I got at the dollar store along with my odds and ends of fabric. That strand of light brown running through the entire rug seems to bring it all "together", I really like how it came out.

Oh. I think Cindy's rug would work. Cindy, how stiff is it? I'm actually not looking to use this as rug. I want to put two of them together and use it to replace the beaded seat cover in my truck.

I think you'd need to be careful how you join the colors so you don't get bumps.  They wouldn't show up if you were making a floor rug, but if you have a sensitive backseat, you might feel the bumps (Princess and the Pea).  With t-shirts or old sheets, you could quickly join them ahead of time using a sewing machine or simply taking a couple minutes with each join and hand stitch. 

Archived