Bernat Temperature Scarf CAL and KAL

mattenylou

I just found this when I was poking around on the Bernat yarn forums, they are starting a CAL on Feb 1st for a scarf. What makes it fun is that the colors of the rows you add each day is determined by the weather! Depending on the range of temps your "neck of the woods" averages throughout the year, you pick a dozen of so colors and work a row to represent that temp.

They are making scarves and afghans using this method for color choice, pretty interesting to see the different projects that are coming about from this idea.

You can read more about it here,

Some folks have already started using January temps, and using stash yarn, it's interesting to see how this month's weather has made some interesting patterns from different parts of the country, depending on their color choices and the temps, take a look.

You may have to sign in to see the pics, not sure, but they have a nice website.

I just found this NY blogger working on crocheted temperature scarf, I love how her colors and stitch pattern are coming together.

I think this may be my next project, I love the idea that each day's color is determined by the temp... no thinking, it's all done for me by Mother Nature!

That looks like a ton of fun!  I'm going to have to give this a go.  I'll just use stash yarn though.  Thanks for posting.  I wondered if Bernat was going to do another CAL this year.  Since it's just a scarf, I might try the CAL and KAL this time.  My KAL from the last time failed horribly.  I couldn't keep up since I'm so slow at knitting.

I'm in!  I have a lot of stash yarn also that my family keeps telling me to get rid of.  Now I have an excuse not too!  My DD keeps telling me I have a serious yarn problem. :sofunny

Hmmm, I've been poking around the Bernat forums,, seems this may not have been too well thought out for a whole year's project. Working 2 rows of sc a day with 4 rows between each month (64 rows) for a year (x12 months) is going to give us a scarf long enough to wrap around the whole family, methinks.

Maybe I'll do 2 rows of a lacy shell stitch each week, one for the high temp, one for the low.... and work in a row for snow or rain or sunshine in between.

Any ideas??

Archived