KINDLE FIRE

My daughter gave me a kindle fire for Christmas, I love it, now I can take my crochet magazines and patterns with me wherever I go. It will save me so much money on printer ink and space storing the patterns I print. Did anyone else get one of these wonderful items for Christmas. Oh and I can read and read and read my favorite books.............

Love the Kindle Fire!  I don't know if you are aware or not but you can add an icon to your computer toolbar from the Amazon Kindle website.  I will allow you to add things you find on the internet (free crochet patterns, etc) directly to your kindle just by clicking on the icon.  

I do not have the FIRE - I have the original Kindle with keyboard (I bought it about 2 weeks before the launch of the first kindle fire - yes I regret it lol). This is how I use my patterns on the go, especially since I don't have a printer. 

I have a Kindle Fire HD that is amazing and I love it! I was given it as a free upgrade at Best Buy when they couldn't figure out why my last Kindle Fire wasn't charging properly - so I really got a deal!

I haven't used it so much for patterns - I really should though.

I have the Kindle paperwhite. I was wondering if I can download patterns to this? 

I have a K2 (the second Kindle made) in addition to my Fire.

I think your Paperwhite is like my K2.  You can't download them but you can side load them.  Meaning you hook it to your computer/laptop and move your PDF to the Kindle.

You can go through Amazon and email it to yourself though their email system which gives you your own email address; or something.  It seemed like more work to me than side loading so I don't know much about that.

I have the kindle fire hd and I love it.  I now have an icon on my computer, where I can down load patterns or books to read, instead of squinting at the smaller screen. :D 

If you don't mind me asking where did you get that icon?  thanks

I have a K2 (the second Kindle made) in addition to my Fire.

I think your Paperwhite is like my K2.  You can't download them but you can side load them.  Meaning you hook it to your computer/laptop and move your PDF to the Kindle.

You can go through Amazon and email it to yourself though their email system which gives you your own email address; or something.  It seemed like more work to me than side loading so I don't know much about that.

If you get the free computer program calibre, you can convert different documents to the kindle format and upload from your computer directly to your kindle. I believe that if you email to your kindle there is a small fee. Someone set me straight if I'm wrong about this. :cowgirl

If you get the free computer program calibre, you can convert different documents to the kindle format and upload from your computer directly to your kindle. I believe that if you email to your kindle there is a small fee. Someone set me straight if I'm wrong about this

Thanks, I did know that.  However by "upload directly to your Kindle" do you mean you still have to connect it to the computer?  I had to when I tried it but I might have missed something.

Not all emails have a fee.  Depends on how you send it.  More found here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200140600

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks, I did know that.  However by "upload directly to your Kindle" do you mean you still have to connect it to the computer?  I had to when I tried it but I might have missed something.

Not all emails have a fee.  Depends on how you send it.  More found here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200140600

You need to connect kindle to computer with a cable. I do this quite often with patterns that I've scanned, saved and then converted. Works out pretty good.

I'm stymied. Id love to transfer crochet patterns from my laptop to my Fire HD but, the Hubster tried to download the Send To Kindle app for me and the Norton AntiVirus flat refused, saying it was unsafe. Any tech savvies' have any suggestions? (Sorry- I know this should be in Off Topic but, thought I would keep with this thread anyway)

You'll need a USB cable.  If you have an android phone with the pop off USB  cord from that should work.  If you have an older Kindle with the pop off end, that will also work. Otherwise you will need to buy one.

Connect your Fire to the computer.

Wake up your Fire.

If it doesn't open automatically, you'll need to open the same way you open any jump drive/USB device.

You'll see several files. 

Drag and drop your books, files, PDFs to the right file.

Close the Fire window.

Safely eject the Fire from your computer.  To do that, touch your Fire scree where it says Disconnect. 

That's it. Unplug the Fire from the computer.

It sounds complicated but it really isn't and once you get the hang of it you'll find it is super easy.  I don't even have the "send to my Kindle app".

You'll need a USB cable.  If you have an android phone with the pop off USB  cord from that should work.  If you have an older Kindle with the pop off end, that will also work. Otherwise you will need to buy one.

Connect your Fire to the computer.

Wake up your Fire.

If it doesn't open automatically, you'll need to open the same way you open any jump drive/USB device.

You'll see several files. 

Drag and drop your books, files, PDFs to the right file.

Close the Fire window.

Safely eject the Fire from your computer.  To do that, touch your Fire scree where it says Disconnect. 

That's it. Unplug the Fire from the computer.

It sounds complicated but it really isn't and once you get the hang of it you'll find it is super easy.  I don't even have the "send to my Kindle app".

Thank you for posting this info. I printed it off and will try it out later this evening after I get back from town. Sooo appreciate the help. :)

Archived