Foundation Row/wrong side, work in back bars?

MamawNaNa

Question

On the Foundation row? plz help me understand...TYIA I am not sure how to tell which is wrong side when all I have is a chain . and do I understand that I turn it to have the wrong? side facing me, and then crochet in the back loop of wrong side? leaving the last ch unworked for knotting off...what the heck does that mean? seems like that would make the edge uneven?

Red Heart Amish Bars Throw

Foundation Row (wrong side): Working in back bars

of ch, sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each of next 108 ch,

leaving last ch unworked for knotting off, turn – 109 sc.

Row 1: Ch 1, sc in first sc, *skip next 2 sc, large shell in

next sc, skip next 2 sc, sc in next sc; repeat from * across,

turn – 18 large shells.

Row 2: Ch 3 (counts as

5 answers to this question

one side lloks like a chain or a braid, and if you turn it over you will see horizontal bars or bumps. it is these that you work into. leave the last one unworked, but I also do not understand the knotting off part.

tutorial on different places to work into the chain http://www.stitchdiva.com/tutorials/crochet/working-into-the-starting-chain

Where is says wrong side, that is telling you that once this row is finished it will be the wrong side. Since this is row 1, that means when row 2 is facing you, that will be the right side of your work. This is separate from working in the back bump of the starting ch.

The wrong side or back side of the chain is where the single bump is. The front side or right side of the chain looks like arrows or a braid.

It's a different way of saying to sc in the back bump or back hump of the chain. Also known as Camel Crochet.

It gives the edge a really nice finished look.

I'm sure that whatever the last chain is needed for will be explained further on in the pattern.

I recently started using this method of working into the back bump of the starting ch ~ and I love it! It's slower to do, but the edge of my work comes out a little thicker and it's nice and neat. After I make the ch, I turn it upside down and lay it on my finger. I take my time to make sure I don't miss a ch. I just keep sliding the ch along my finger, with the bump side up, until I reach the end.

I think your pattern says to skip the last ch for knotting off, because when you tie it off and weave it in, it will pull in a little tighter and make the corner a little more rounded.

Archived