THE Softest Cotton Yarn?

ReniC

I am in search of THE softest, cotton WW yarn for a afghan. I have already tested the Peaches n Cream and I'm not too pleased with the final texture for this project. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I Love This Cotton is very very soft. Imho it is sort of fuzzy and i don't know how it would hold up in an afghan. But it is the softest cotton i have ever used, as far as i can remember. :blush

(to throw out a different suggestion, Berroco Comfort is very soft and to me it feels like cotton, tho it is acrylic and nylon; it comes in a great color range. Perhaps something to consider if you want a cottony feel and could use a different fiber.)

I agree with Kathy, I Love This Cotton is very soft, but prone to fuzz. Cottontots is another very soft cotton yarn. It does create a little fuzz, but not as bad as the ILTC. It also has a lighter feel to it so won't be too heavy with a larger blanket as the "kitchen" cottons would be.

If you are okay with a blend, Cottonease has a nice feel to it and no worries with fuzz. Caron's Spa yarn is one of my favorites. It is also a cotton blend and is very light and airy. But it would be a little pricey depending on the size of your blanket.

Are you making a baby blanket (just curious)?

I am currently working an afghan out of bernat handicrafters cotton yarn. I was after something soft but warm that wouldn't fry in the dryer when i washed it. from the washclothes i made, i think i will need to use a fabric softerner every so often.

I agree with Kathy, I Love This Cotton is very soft, but prone to fuzz. Cottontots is another very soft cotton yarn. It does create a little fuzz, but not as bad as the ILTC. It also has a lighter feel to it so won't be too heavy with a larger blanket as the "kitchen" cottons would be.

If you are okay with a blend, Cottonease has a nice feel to it and no worries with fuzz. Caron's Spa yarn is one of my favorites. It is also a cotton blend and is very light and airy. But it would be a little pricey depending on the size of your blanket.

Are you making a baby blanket (just curious)?

Thank you for the info. I've used Spa yarn before and love it, although, as you said, it may be a bit pricey since I am making a throw for my bed. Probably about 40" X 48". I was thinking of the Cottonease but see on the LionBrand site it is discontinued. No Lion Brand sources here so I have to order online. I have already started the centers of the squares with scrap cotton yarn. I have 2 large bags of little balls that have sat for a couple of years and it finally clicked what to use them for. I got the idea from a baby blanket I am working on now. Hope I don't get tired of the pattern by then. :eek:lol

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the info. I've used Spa yarn before and love it, although, as you said, it may be a bit pricey since I am making a throw for my bed. Probably about 40" X 48". I was thinking of the Cottonease but see on the LionBrand site it is discontinued. No Lion Brand sources here so I have to order online. I have already started the centers of the squares with scrap cotton yarn. I have 2 large bags of little balls that have sat for a couple of years and it finally clicked what to use them for. I got the idea from a baby blanket I am working on now. Hope I don't get tired of the pattern by then. :eek:lol

there are several online sources to purchase the yarn.

i have ordered from Lion Brand online.  Have u tried ebay or amazon?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

In conclusion of my inquiry, I found the I Love This Cotton from Hobby Lobby to be the softest and most economical of all the cottons I tried. I have not worked on the throw since last posting but, when I go to the Big City next time I will be purchasing from HL for this project. Can't wait!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I love this cotton is hands down my favorite cotton for afghans.  I used the pink variegated it has held up wonderful.  I think my stash of blue variegated my get turned in to another afghan.

Laura

Also, the older Peaches & Creme (before Lily bought them) was much softer. I noticed the P & C now is a lot rougher.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I went to Hobby Lobby in Henderson, NV. about 3 weeks ago, intending to buy a ton of "I Love This Cotton" and the shelves were bare! Aaaaaagh! They had some kind of sale, plus, were low on inventory to begin with. The JoAnn's I go to up there also, was scaled back on certain yarns, especially cottons. It was not a fulfilling trip for yarn that time. The Hubster kept trying to make me feel better by saying " Just think how much you saved and all the stash-busting you can do!"    Whaaaat?  :(  :no

Thinking how much you saved and looking forward to stash busting is NO consolation for a thwarted yarn spree you've been looking forward to!   :(  I hope you can find some soon.

Thank you ddc for the words of encouragement to find "lots" of cotton yarn. I will eventually. I'm just going to be patient and keep my eyes open in brick stores when we go out of town and online. :D

Thinking how much you saved and looking forward to stash busting is NO consolation for a thwarted yarn spree you've been looking forward to!   :(  I hope you can find some soon.

Rein, you can order online from HL, but I notice that many of the ILTC colors are out of stock there, too. Right now they advertise free shipping for $40 up. I often have to buy piecemeal when I need more than a skein or two of a single color. But HL has been especially frustrating lately, especially considering it's their own label.

Thanks for your input Kay.

I did indeed try to shop online with HL a few weeks ago but they didn't have the colors in stock I was seeking. I read somewhere several months ago HL was changing their yarn vendor/producer. Maybe that's still the key to their shortage.

It's not like I need it right now as I have 3 bags of yarn set aside for three afghans I will eventually get to. Plus, I have two in the makes and one  finished that I'm blocking before sending off.

I was hoping to make a white and pastel cotton afghan,  but, it's on the back burner for now. So, no biggy.

Rein, you can order online from HL, but I notice that many of the ILTC colors are out of stock there, too. Right now they advertise free shipping for $40 up. I often have to buy piecemeal when I need more than a skein or two of a single color. But HL has been especially frustrating lately, especially considering it's their own label.

Archived