Help with Pattern Working in Back Bumps and Slip Stitch

jackiebrown89

Question

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to make this scarf and I have no idea what to do.

Here is a link to the pattern http://www.redheart.com/free-patterns/shaded-triangles-magic-scarf.

The pattern states:

Ch 33.

Row 1 (foundation): Working in back bumps sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across -32 sc.

Row 2 (Bottom Edging): Ch 3, turn piece 90 degrees, slip st in end of Row 1, turn piece to work along chain side (bottom) of Row 1, ch 1, [skip 1 st, (sc, hdc, sc) next st, skip 1 st, slip st in next st] 8 times, ch 3, slip st in end of Row 1.

I understand how to work in the back bumps, but I'm having trouble with Row 2, specifically turning the piece 90 degrees and where to put the slip st in the end of Row 1. Then I'm confused on what it means by turning the piece to work along chain side (bottom) of Row 1.

Can anyone help clear this up for me?

7 answers to this question

When you work into the the back bump of your starting chain, it leaves you with the two loops. You work your edging stitches into those two loops, just like if you were working on the top side of your work.

From the point of view with the first row facing up, before turning; < > \/ are directions you are to be working across the chain

<<<<<<<<<<<<< row 1

\/ turn and make a stitch across the end

>>>>>>>>>>>>> row 2, working across the loops of the chains you didn't work in row 1

In my pattern for Heart Headband with Bow I have a picture showing how to crochet into the back bump or butt of the chain. It helps to chain loosely, so it's easier to insert your hook. I like to do my foundation on the back bump when I need the bottom of the project to look the same as the top. This way there are two loops showing on both sides and it looks even.

http://www.crochetparfait.blogspot.com/2012/11/heart-headband-with-bow.html

Thanks so much for the help with working back bumps.  You are the only place that told me how to do it. I have been crocheting for over 40 years and never heard of this.  So much thanks again.

Thanks so much for the help with working back bumps.  You are the only place that told me how to do it. I have been crocheting for over 40 years and never heard of this.  So much thanks again.

Hi, welcome to the ville :hook

Archived