Has anyone been paid to test a crochet pattern?

Hi there!

Just a quick question

Has anyone here gotten paid to test a pattern? If so, what were the terms? If not, why not?

Thanks! :)

Oh, I wish! What a way to make a living!!!

No...I've tested a pattern or two, but the "payment" is usually the pattern. In one instance, that was a boon, as it was a great pattern!

:c9

If you want to be paid for crocheting, and your work is superb, then you might consider becoming a contract crocheter. I have never used one but many designers do. Check out the CGOA for ideas on how to become one.

You must be a superb crocheter with nice even stitches. Able to obtain the gauge called for in a pattern so the piece ends up size required. Be able to read patterns and catch errors. Willing to do almost everytype of crocheting from thread to afghans. I know a few contract crocheters and they seem to enjoy the work.

I have never paid a tester. They normally are happy to have the chance to get my pattern for nothing, and my help if they should need it. For my regular testers I do allow them to ask for any of the patterns I have self published as a perk for a job well done. But that is only for the testers who have proven themselves reliable and thorough.

Archived