Amy

Do You Know Who Van Gogh Was?

Do you know who Van Gogh was?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Do you know who Van Gogh was?

• Yes
    • No

Because of something I read elsewhere, I have a poll for you.

Do you know who Van Gogh was?

Maybe this is a trick question.... I know who Van Gogh WAS. If it's IS, I answered wrong, and I don't know.

I have to concur with Jimbo's comment, ".....who Van Gogh was". :D

Yes I know who Van Gogh is/was!!

Vincent! Love him. Got my little sister Starry Night socks for Christmas.

I agree.....if that was a trick question, I failed!

What prompted this, Amy? Curious, here!

Jimbo, you made me smile! and I agree...if this is a trick question, I think I failed. :)

Hmmmm.... ok I got it..... Van Gogh "Honk Honk"

Car go "beep beep" heh

However, if you have no "Monet" to buy "Degas", you'd have a hard time making the "Van Gogh" at all.

Starry starry night!! Paint your pallet blue and grey.......yep, love his work, love Don Mclean's ode to Vincent!

Hey, everyone! Not a trick question, I promise!

Excuse my unclear grammar of last night. :D Most of my attention was otherwise occupied watching the BCS Championship game. ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!! :cheer (By the way, I edited it to say "was.")

Here's the back story on the question. A crochet designer submitted some designs that were inspired by Van Gogh's works. A publisher rejected the project idea, effectively saying/implying there weren't enough crocheters who would be interested in such a project or who would even know who Van Gogh is/was. The designer did not identify the publisher.

I was more than a little offended at that low opinion of crocheters, so I set out to do some unasked-for market research for this poor misguided publisher (not that they'll ever know about or see this). I posted the question here and on our Facebook page to see how many knew the correct answer.

I was not surprised to learn that over 99% seemed to know exactly who Van Gogh is/was. Respondents even supplied, without prompting, names of some of his most famous works. Crocheters also said very emphatically that they would love to see designs based on his work.

So, publisher, you were quickly proven wrong last night!

Ooooh publishers you are so wrong! Why do people assume if we crochet, we are just a bunch of dumb, little old ladies who have nothing better to do in life!? Grrrrr!

Van Gogh is one of my favorites. Crochet is new to me...but I'm a lifelong artist and I have been a fan of Van Gogh since high school. Whoever that publisher was, they are ignorant, and they should not have said anything. Lots of folks who crochet are interested in fine arts, as well.

Here is a Van Gogh quote that this publisher should read: "It is better to be high-spirited, even though one makes more mistakes than to be narrow-minded, and all too prudent."

Starry starry night!! Paint your pallet blue and grey.......yep, love his work, love Don Mclean's ode to Vincent!

You know, honestly, this song introduced me to Van Gogh...I was about 11 or so when it was a hit...love that song, and love Van Gogh's work...so yeah, I know who Van Gogh is...I can see several of his paintings in my head right now...Starry Starry Night, Sunflowers, Self Portrait...just to name a few...

Hey, everyone! Not a trick question, I promise!

Excuse my unclear grammar of last night. :D Most of my attention was otherwise occupied watching the BCS Championship game. ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!! :cheer (By the way, I edited it to say "was.")

Here's the back story on the question. A crochet designer submitted some designs that were inspired by Van Gogh's works. A publisher rejected the project idea, effectively saying/implying there weren't enough crocheters who would be interested in such a project or who would even know who Van Gogh is/was. The designer did not identify the publisher.

I was more than a little offended at that low opinion of crocheters, so I set out to do some unasked-for market research for this poor misguided publisher (not that they'll ever know about or see this). I posted the question here and on our Facebook page to see how many knew the correct answer.

I was not surprised to learn that over 99% seemed to know exactly who Van Gogh is/was. Respondents even supplied, without prompting, names of some of his most famous works. Crocheters also said very emphatically that they would love to see designs based on his work.

So, publisher, you were quickly proven wrong last night!

Yep, totally wrong...on both counts (pssst...congrats to the Crimson Tide btw...)

Car go "beep beep" heh

However, if you have no "Monet" to buy "Degas", you'd have a hard time making the "Van Gogh" at all.

You're a goofball Jimbo, but that's why we love you!

The sad part is that this guy used "van gogh" as a way to measure who "knows about art" or 'has culture". As a guy who is a publisher you would think he would be smart enough to measure "culture" with something deeper than one of the most recongized artists. It's like challenging someone's food knowledge with questions about burger king... yikes!!!

It does bug me that people assume we are uncultured, uneducated and uninteresting people. I probably have more education than that publisher. And that doesn't count all the self-education since college.

Me too... the more I think about it the buggeder I get. Some of the smartest and most talented, artistic folks I know crochet. Not that I know lots of knitters, but the ones I do know are kind of lys groupies if you know what I mean.

oh oh... there I go negative stereotyping.

Out of all the types of people in the world...you would think they'd know that an artist (crochet) would probably know of another, very famous, artist!!! What a wack-job.

We crocheters are artists whether we create an item from someone else's pattern or use our own pattern. Most artists no matter what their medium is know other artists in other mediums. How foolish that publisher is.

Car go "beep beep" heh

:rofl

I have a movie called Starry Night. It's about Van Gogh coming back to life 100 years after his death for 100 days. He tries to get his paintings back, since he never sold them, he believes they are still his. People think he's crazy, so he tries to prove who he is by finding paintings he hid before he died.

Some believe that he might have lost his ear in a fight over a girl and he gave it to her. There's a good chance he was murdered (shot in the stomach, died days later).

Ellie 13

P. S. There's a RH yarn called Monet - purple/blue/green multi colored.

Edited by Ellie 13