I need your input, please

So I've been thinking about merging Jimbo Hooks with a popular brand of metal hooks.. so the handle would be a wooden Jimbo style and the metal hook would be fitted to the handle. That way I can make smaller hooks without worry about breakage, yet still have a small size hook with nice warm and comfy grip. So the question is, for metal hooks smaller than a G, who makes the best of the best? Mind you, I'm just talking about the head, neck and shank, NOT the handle (cause I'll be making that part). I'm not interested in Bates or Boye preferences either, since I can install either one in a Jimbo handle.

So the question to you is..... who makes the best of the best metal crochet hooks in sizes smaller than G (4mm).

Thing is, I've looked closely at numbers of aluminum and steel hooks made by different companies, and have been pretty disappointed about the quality of finish..so that's what raised the question. I'd like to find a source for metal hooks that are of consistant high quality.

I prefer the Susan Bates. With this question, you are going to get answers by what that paticular person likes.

I have Susan Bates with wooden handles, that I love. I also have Boye hooks that are not bad.

When you get into the small size 7 and such hooks, they are all somewhat alike. The diffference is the handle.

Hope this helps some. By the way, your hooks are beautiful.:hook

Seeing as Susan Bates already has wooden-handled hooks, perhaps Boye? That way, the Boye fans would have access to wooden handles (and they could Lord it over their Bates friends, because their wooden handles would be so much better!). :lol :lol :lol

I would just stick with either Boye or Bates. Bates Silvalume has a nice finish but some people don't like it.

I have a couple sets of the Bamboo handled Bates hooks but I'd love a Bates Jimbo. (hint, hint)

Thing is, I've looked closely at numbers of aluminum and steel hooks made by different companies, and have been pretty disappointed about the quality of finish..so that's what raised the question. I'd like to find a source for metal hooks that are of consistant high quality.

Did you look at Addi hooks? I think they are very consistent as far as the finish, the hook shape/dimensions, and the actual measurement of the shaft (or whatever i should call the part which determines the loop size).

In my own case, I own "vintage" Bates aluminum, and Bates and Boye steel, hooks from the 60s-70s and the quality of those is great, but i have been pretty disappointed in the current hooks in those brands. I think the measurements are very inaccurate, and the finish as you say is not great. 2 out of three new boye/bates hooks I have bought seem unusable to me. But I have bought several new Addi hooks and they seem great to me. So if I ever need to replace my collection, i will be getting Addis.

I also like the Addi hooks finish - I found it to be smooth and slippery so that I could work quickly. The only thing I didn't like about them was the rough handle, that I found to be uncomfortable. A wooden handle would definitely improve them.

Thanks kids! I got a message as well about "Pony" hooks and will be looking into those too.

I hear everyone about the lack of decent finish on hooks. I cleaned up the sharp edges on a Boye hook awhile back but the sandpaper took the anodized finish off of the aluminum, and I worried that the bare aluminum might rub black marks on lighter colored yarns. I've not messed around much with metal Bates hooks because they're much closer in shape to what I make.. but maybe I should take a look at the smaller sizes.

"I have a couple sets of the Bamboo handled Bates hooks but I'd love a Bates Jimbo. (hint hint)"

I like those hints.

It's funny but I much prefer my Boye steel hooks over my Bates ones because of the way the shank and hook are formed. I find them easier for me to use with the thin threads I use. I'm talking the really small millimeters such as a 10,12 or 14 hook. Yet, I need my Bates ones just as much because sometimes I need the size in my Bates that may be slightly bigger or smaller than what I have in a Boye.

I don't find any of my steel ones are such where they are made so well that the finish won't come off. I do love my Lee Wards even though my size 13 has the tip broke off and I'm missing a few. They are much better in quality than any Boye or Bates hooks I find today. I have been generously given the set with the few missing, and use my Lee Wards the most when doing small thread crochet items.

My older Bates hooks, when the finishes were done mostly in pastels, have far better quality of aluminum finish on them. The newer ones (made in Mexico), in the brighter colors, are of a poorer quality of finish, often having nicks in the finish straight out of the package. The Bates Silvalumes are usually a decent finish too.

Yah, the Silvalumes do seem to have a little nicer finish than some of the Boye hooks I've seen. On the other hand, I'm not sold on the Bates head shape... too wedgie in the throat for my taste, yet all the Boye's I've come across had some kind of problem with rough flashing areas (from stamping) or the finish was a bit blistered. I'll check out the Silvalumes again and the Addis, but I'm also anxious to see some of the Pony brand hooks. Can't say I've ever seen one before.

But you're not a crocheter - you're a hook maker. You don't want to lose half your possible clientele just cuz you don't like the head.

I used Boye for years. It was what my Grandmother used. When my Great Aunt could no longer crochet she gave me all her things. That was the first time I ever used a Bates head and I've been using them ever since. I crochet twice as fast with a Bates.

I think your head style is different enough from a Bates that you really won't lose anything by offering both. Your head style is also different enough from a Boye that I can use it comfortably.

Are you talking about steel thread hooks or the smaller yarn hooks like B, C or D?

She makes a great point. I started out using what ever I could find, but eventually came to prefer the Bates head. It may have something to do with the way I hold my hook, but I find I snag my yarn more with my Boye hooks than I do with my Bates.

I recently grabbed a Boye hook to demonstrate a magic circle to my Mom since I was planning on letting her have the hook when I was done and selfishly wanted to keep my wooden handled Bates. I couldn't find a Bates metal hook quickly in the size I needed. My greed came back to bite me because I kept snagging the yarn and had to go get my Bates wooden hooks in order to demonstrate the process correctly.:lol:lol

Funny, I was just thinking the reason I don't like Bates hooks is because of the handle. It's too short and it hurts my hand so I've always used Boye. Of course when I use my Jimbo hook I don't have that problem.:hook

I prefer the shape of the boye heads over the bates heads. that said, I primarily use my bamboo-clover-takumi hooks, or "steelies" (crocheting with thread). Coming from that, I can't say I've ever used an Addi hook, but if they're anything like the Addi knitting needles I've seen (and heard rave reviews over), I'm thinking an Addi-Jimbo crochet hook would be gorgeous. :) And then maybe I could get a Jimbo hook in "my size", lol

. :) And then maybe I could get a Jimbo hook in "my size", lol

That's zactly the reason for the experiment. Maybe I should stock up on different smaller hooks and do some of each.

Right now, though, "Wheat" is helping me out with some "Pony" hooks.

Thanks for all your input, guys! And Rosered? Yeah, you're right....I can't crochet my way out of a wet ball of funfur, and I did speak out of turn about the Bates gullets. What I should say is that through the years I've learned enough to know that what's someone's treasure is another one's landfill. My goal is to avoid the landfill.

I've never been able to do thread crochet because I can't hold the small hooks. I got some of the Bates Bamboo hooks to try out and finished a tiny toy to go with a doll donation project. I am thrilled. I can't believe the difference having a handle to hold on to makes. I tried several times with the tiny metal versions and never ended up with much more than knots.

• 2 weeks later...
What about making different size handles with a hole so people can put in whatever hook they prefer :think?

Ellie 13

Would that I could do that, Ellie. Trouble is, the different size hooks have different size handles so a single hole wouldn't fit all. That and the hooks most often have thumb rests. The sides of the thumb rest stick out from the handle, and so must be removed. Otherwise the hook won't fit into the hole.

But I'm working on it. Should have a few hooks made up soon.

Thanks again everyone for the input!

Jimbo

Ya know Jimbo ~ as the old saying goes "Variety is the spice 'o life" - so on that note...Why not try both and offer a variety - that way you won't have those asking for their preferences. Having a broad spectrum of these will be very original in and of itself and truly "custom"!

I go between both Bates and Boye for different yarn gauges and types. And I also like the Addi's too.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Ah... I'm back after managing to get re "logged in" (got confused because the only box that came close said "sign in".... Oh i get confused so easily. Anyways! I've made up some hooks with the "Pony" shank and heads for smaller hooks. They're at auction in my blog and you can see larger shots of them there. But I'll show you a picture of them here if I can... Ok there they are! The hooks in question are the ones with the gray colored shanks and wooden handles. Interesting idea eh? I thank "Wheat" for the suggestion and source for "Pony" brand hooks. We'll see where it all goes.

post-3105-0-69375500-1359475804_thumb.jpg

Archived