2013 Let it Snow (Snowflake CAL)

jrnylst

I think I'd like to try this CAL, but I probably can't start until next week. I'll even try to catch up so I have 52 at the end of the year!

I think I'd like to try this CAL, but I probably can't start until next week. I'll even try to catch up so I have 52 at the end of the year!

Oh please do join us!!!!  I've only got five done so far, but snowflakes really take no time to make.  But a note to everyone...when you start the stiffening process, make sure you use "stainless steel" pins.  I had some I wasn't sure about, and they left little rust marks on a couple of my snowflakes.  :reyes

Thank you, everyone, for keeping this SAL alive while I was unable to keep up electronically!  I love the snowflake photos that have been shared.  Great job duplicating your swap flakes, Apak!  I love snowflakes in color, MarshaRice!  Special place in my heart for pink snowflakes.

I vowed not to make a snowflake for a whole week after my blitz/blizzard througout January through the first week of February.  Now I'm ready to make another after seven straight days of no snowflakes.  :)  (Gotta be a record in there somewhere!)

Snow is coming down right now in Denver but not sticking.  Adds to the mood and need to create a new snowflake.  :)

Here are a few of my February 14-themed snowflakes to help wish you a very happy Valentine's Day:

post-31952-0-79049500-1360886276_thumb.jpg post-31952-0-64896000-1360886285_thumb.jpg post-31952-0-33194000-1360886296_thumb.jpg post-31952-0-07809500-1360886483_thumb.jpg post-31952-0-13224700-1360886495_thumb.jpg

Those are beautiful!

I finished my first 2 snowflakes tonight, but haven't got a pic yet. I decided I'm going to try to make one of each from the 99 Snowflakes book I have.

Thank you, everyone, for keeping this SAL alive while I was unable to keep up electronically!  I love the snowflake photos that have been shared.  Great job duplicating your swap flakes, Apak!  I love snowflakes in color, MarshaRice!  Special place in my heart for pink snowflakes.

I vowed not to make a snowflake for a whole week after my blitz/blizzard througout January through the first week of February.  Now I'm ready to make another after seven straight days of no snowflakes.  :)  (Gotta be a record in there somewhere!)

Snow is coming down right now in Denver but not sticking.  Adds to the mood and need to create a new snowflake.  :)

Here are a few of my February 14-themed snowflakes to help wish you a very happy Valentine's Day:

attachicon.gifheart1.jpg attachicon.gifheart2.jpg attachicon.gifheart3.jpg attachicon.gifheart4.jpg attachicon.gifheart5.jpg

Beautiful!!  You do such gorgeous work...  Thank you for sharing!  :)

I ended up using white glue. I mixed about a quarters worth in a bowl and mixed it with some water. It was thin like milk, I soaked the snow flake then squeezed out the excess, I blocked the piece on a piece of parchment paper until it dried, it worked very well. You could also block it on waxed paper or foil wrap or saran, something the glue will not stick to.

Good luck with your snowflakes.

You can also go ahead and pin the dry snowflake to a ceiling tile that's been covered with waxed paper, then use the same mixture of white glue and water, and brush it onto the pinned snowflake with a soft bristle brush.  Then just wash the brush with soap and water, then rinse well with water.  I find it makes less of a mess. :lol  I'm rather messy with the other way, and it sticks to my fingers too much!!   :reyes

• 3 weeks later...

Everyone's flakes are just lovely! I've been plugging away at my snowflake garland now and then. I usually get about 3-4 done a day when I'm working on them. I think I'm up to 28 snowflakes? Its not a long garland yet but its one of those long term projects I just do when I feel like it. :)

• 6 months later...

Is it the time for this thread reactivation? :D  have you started working on your new snowlakes already?

Well, I haven't, but I keep thinking of it, so it's a sign I'll be making snowflakes soon....

I'm thinking some snowflake ornaments are in order for Christmas presents this year. Just have to figure out the starching part!

My favorite way to stiffen snowflakes:  I pin the snowflakes to a waxed paper covered square of ceiling tile (available at your local home improvement store--they usually have some that have been broken, or cracked that they'll sell you cheap!).  Then I mix up a little white glue with a little water, to a milky consistency.  I brush it on the snowflake with an artist's brush.  That way you can get the stiffener (glue) in the crevices and all around the snowflake.  Let dry for a day or two, then unpin.  (You can sprinkle a little iridescent glitter on them right after you coat them with glue, for added sparkle!)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well I finally got around to blocking and stiffening my flakes! Hope it works. I'm not sure I had the consistency right on the glue water but time will tell. I didn't have a brush so I used the dunk and squeeze method :) I didn't have quite enough flakes as of yesterday so I quick whipped up the Blue Lake snowflake which I just Had to make! So pretty! http://www.snowcatcher.net/2013/07/snowflake-monday_29.html

Hoping to give these to our families for Christmas this year!

post-61033-0-06628600-1386103355_thumb.jpg

Hi, Everybody!

I'm new to Crochetville, although I have been lurking around for a while.  I'm making snowflake ornaments for my students this year and I was wondering your opinion on stiffening.  I'm using ILTY White Sparkle, so it's a yarn not a thread.  They tend to curl a bit, and I really want the stitches to be more defined.  Do you think I should stiffen them?  Or maybe just block them by killing the acrylic?  Or will they be to floppy?  Or maybe I should just soften them by washing them in a pillowcase in the washing machine?  Any ideas or suggestions from you experts would be a great help.

Thanks!  

Archived