2013 Let it Snow (Snowflake CAL)

jrnylst

Welcome to 2013! May this year be better than last!

This Snowflake CAL was born about five years ago, and the goal is to make at least one snowflake every Monday (or whatever day of the week is best for you), with the goal of 52 snowflakes by Christmas, more than enough to decorate your tree with plenty leftover to gift. All participants are welcome and encouraged to post links to their own patterns and/or pictures throughout the year to keep us all enthused and motivated. Please help keep this thread alive by sharing your work!Snowflakes make us drool!

Throughout the years, participants have asked if they must stiffen flakes, if they can use yarn instead of thread and how to do specific stitches and/or patterns. You may make your snowflakes with whatever fiber you choose. You may even make them with embroidery floss, plarn or ribbon! Stiffen them if you like, and don't if that's not your cup of tea. Feel free to ask questions here any time, and someone here is sure to try to help. Many snowflakers will pitch in and help whenever anyone has a question.

Ravelry has a snowflake group here, and a new Yahoo group will be starting soon. I will update this post and add the link as soon as it is available.

Let's cover the world with a blanket of snow that doesn't cause frost bite!

Happy 2013! And let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

Here is the best list of free snowflake links I know of.

Here is the list of 2008 snowflakes.

Here is the list of 2009 snowflakes.

Here is the thread for the 2010 CAL.

Here is the thread for the 2011 CAL.

Here is the thread for the 2012 CAL.

Snowflake Books or Leaflets

99 Snowflakes

More Snowflakes to Crochet by Mary Thomas

Our Best Christmas Thread Crochet has 12 snowflake patterns out of 42 projects. Copyright 1997.

White Christmas in Thread Crochet 25 snowflake patterns. Copyright 2001.

American School of Needlework's 101 Snowflakes by Delsie Rhoades and Kathy Wesley.

Crocheted Snowflakes and Angels by Wilma Stash. Leisure Arts leaflet 255.

Big Book of Thread Ornaments by Leisure Arts. Copyright 2009.

100 Snowflakes to Crochet: Make Your Own Snowdrift - to Give or to Keep by Caitlin Sainio. Copyright 2012.

(Special thanks to Marikamum and Apak for helping compile the above list!)

Other snowflake-related links:

Stiffening Snowflakes

Blocking Snowflakes

Snowflake Blocking Diagram

(Very special thanks to Noël V. Nevins for providing such timeless information for free for more than a decade now!)

I :heart Love :heart this CAL!!!

I didnt participate last year due to hubby and son being sick... but I did the year before and hope to be able to play along this year!!! :heart

:heart

:mug

Count me in!! I wanted to make snowflakes for everyone last year but that idea didn't come about until the fall when I was too busy. I'm also working on a snowflake garland to put on our tree.

Here's hoping I can get some flakes done and I don't flake out!! :) har har!

I'm really looking forward to all the different snowflakes in this cal.

Here's my first one, it's not stiffened yet, I tried corn starch but that didn't work to well, (didn't know it should be cooked) so now I'll try Snowcatchers glue method. This is a "Coats & Clark pattern I found through the free pattern link.

post-63534-135897795934_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking

Very pretty!! I have several snowflakes that I need to stiffen, but I've never done it before. I'd like to know how your next method works for you. I was going to use corn starch, but I wouldn't have known that it needed to be cooked either. Thanks for the info!

Very pretty!! I have several snowflakes that I need to stiffen, but I've never done it before. I'd like to know how your next method works for you. I was going to use corn starch, but I wouldn't have known that it needed to be cooked either. Thanks for the info!

I ended up using white glue. I mixed about a quarters worth in a bowl and mixed it with some water. It was thin like milk, I soaked the snow flake then squeezed out the excess, I blocked the piece on a piece of parchment paper until it dried, it worked very well. You could also block it on waxed paper or foil wrap or saran, something the glue will not stick to.

Good luck with your snowflakes.

I'm so glad this CAL is "alive"! :hook I didn't make as many snowflakes before Christmas as I usually do, but I hope to crochet more with you :hook

MarshaRice, you used one of my favourite patterns! :clap:clap:clap

You know, I think that this will be a great CAL! I've never participated in this one before, but I do enjoy thread crochet. I made a doily as a gift for the Holiday Gift Swap this past year, and I chose the pattern "because" it made me think of a snowflake. Plus, I've always wanted to decorate a Christmas tree in just crocheted ornaments. So, let's do it!

I hope to make many snowflakes this year. I wanted to last year, but just didn't have the time or the energy. Now that things have slowly settled down, I hope it's snowing all year this year.

I was going through my patterns, I discovered I have a book of "101 Snowflakes"! :flake So, I have decided to set myself a personal goal of making each & every snowflake in this book! I also discovered I have a lot of white crochet thread in my stash, so I shouldn't have to buy anything.

I was going through my patterns, I discovered I have a book of "101 Snowflakes"! :flake So, I have decided to set myself a personal goal of making each & every snowflake in this book! I also discovered I have a lot of white crochet thread in my stash, so I shouldn't have to buy anything.

Got my first one completed! I still have to stiffen it though, so I think I'll try making a few more this week & then do them together.

Oh Wow! That's really neat! Can't wait to see some of them! Good luck!

Does my Christmas tree counts as a good start? :D Ok, to be honest, all my this year's snowflakes (all 3 :lol ) need to be stiffen, but just wanted to show you my tree. For a few years I decorate it this way.

post-30828-135897796741_thumb.jpg

I forgot I posted some snowflakes I made this year! They are SNOWFLAKE SACHETS with lavender and you can see them here:

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=144254

I also tried to duplicate the beautiful snowflake I was gifted. On the right there is the original one and on the left there is mine, not stiffen yet. I used thinner thread I guess :hook

post-30828-135897797319_thumb.jpg

And here are my 3 snowflakes. Not very elegant yet, but that's the proof I made some :lol:hook

post-30828-135897797322_thumb.jpg

Jan., 14, 2013

Here's my second snowflake of the year. This is from the same group of patterns. I quess they should be white, but because of stashbusting I didn't want to buy more thread and this is the color I have on hand. I might re-block this one, it looks abit lop sided.

post-63534-135897797328_thumb.jpg

Who said they should be white? :hook I saw snowflakes in many colours and they were very pretty. It depends only on you! Your snowflake is very cute too!

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished my fifth snowflake!  :flake   I've discovered that I really enjoy making them.  Maybe, it's because you can actually finish one in an evening (unlike many of my other projects).  I would like to say that I was motivated by all the cold weather we've been having, but it was in the 70's here in Fort Worth today.  :blush

Archived