2013 Crochet Resolutions

Skoggy

I thought this could be a good idea for a new CAL. Most of us make New Years Resolutions but how many are Crochet related? If you have a Crochet NY Resolution, we can post here for encouragement and to discuss them.

My Crochet New Years Resolution is to learn how to do Graph / Picture afghans. Does anyone have any useful tips?

I thought this could be a good idea for a new CAL. Most of us make New Years Resolutions but how many are Crochet related? If you have a Crochet NY Resolution, we can post here for encouragement and to discuss them.

My Crochet New Years Resolution is to learn how to do Graph / Picture afghans. Does anyone have any useful tips?

Oh, me too! I found an awesome pattern for one with a picture of Jacob Black from Twilight that I want to give my daughter for her birthday this year! I will need all the help I can get!!!

My "sort of" crochet resolution is to organize my craft room so I can make my christmas gifts before the next Christmas.

The same applies to my Christmas cards. I plan every year what card I am making and then don't get around to it until it's too late. :blush

Make two copies of the graph. One to mark each row as you get done that row and one to use as a reference. Also on the one you mark, you can number the rows. I found this makes it easier to follow the graph.:hook

I don't make resolutions, as I always break them.:devil

Oh, me too! I found an awesome pattern for one with a picture of Jacob Black from Twilight that I want to give my daughter for her birthday this year! I will need all the help I can get!!!

Found a good graph maker program. Its called PCStitch. It isn't free but judging by the demo version I've tried out, it looks great for making crochet graphs. It's designed for cross-stitch. Use as many or as few colours as you want for the picture. :)

My question is this: If you have a lot of color changes, do you fasten it off and weave in the ends at each change? If not, how do you keep from getting the colors tangled up or having "bleed through" where you can see the darker color hidden behind the lighter one? The pattern I am looking at uses 6 different colors and I am a little bit concerned that I will mess the whole thing up! :worried

Now that's a great idea, don' t know why I had't thought of it before, going to do that for next graph thanks!

Think my resolution is going to be to do more of what I love & stop letting all the soap opera in my family put it off!

Make two copies of the graph. One to mark each row as you get done that row and one to use as a reference. Also on the one you mark, you can number the rows. I found this makes it easier to follow the graph.:hook

I don't make resolutions, as I always break them.:devil

My resolution is to make a few shawls for Senior Citizen nursing home wheelchair bound patients. They get cold easily and the pattern I found goes over the shoulder and looks like it will be warm.

I use a post-it note (or a couple) to move up my pattern as I work my way up the graph.

Having several skeins attached at once can get super messy. So as a suggestion from someone else....I keep my skeins in a plastic bin and when I finish the row, I put the work on top of the bin, spin the bin and pick the work up backwards and you're ready to go back across from the other direction. It works beautifully. Also, remember when you're doing your rows that you're alternating reading your graph left to right and right to left. I like to put arrows along the side of the rows so I don't get confused on which direction I'm going :lol

My question is this: If you have a lot of color changes, do you fasten it off and weave in the ends at each change? If not, how do you keep from getting the colors tangled up or having "bleed through" where you can see the darker color hidden behind the lighter one? The pattern I am looking at uses 6 different colors and I am a little bit concerned that I will mess the whole thing up! :worried

I did a guitar afghan and I did not fasten off. Sometimes there was only one stitch in a color. I had a rubermaid tote sitting in front of me with all my skeins (Including some at the end I was working from both ends :think ) Then every so often I had to stop and straighten. I only had 3 color but they were repeated in the rows so several skeins. I did not carry the colors through. Literally picked up the color at the stitch then left it hang when I picked up the next color. As long as it was in a close proximity in the next row. I hope I havent made this more confusing. I know at first I was thinking of backing off the project but it was for my son. :hug So I had to dig in. What I found was it wasnt bad and I would do them again and again. Oh I also make a copy of the pattern and draw a line thru stitches that I have done. I do it when I change colors or just every so often but never stop at the begining or end of a row. Seems time consuming but since you change directions its much easier if you happen to set it down and dont get back to it right away. You know exactly where you are which direction your going.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived