2013 Afghans for NICU babies for Christmas - Delivered!

badrhinogillett

This is the 7th annual Afghans for NICU babies for Christmas drive. Every year, I come asking for help and am always humbled by your generous response.

My beautiful son was born in 2006 with a disorder so rare that only 6 other cases had been reported, worldwide, in the 10 years preceeding his birth. When he was 3 days old, he flew to Oakland Children's Hospital by helicopter, and over the next 10 days, the doctors figured out how to save his life. Today, Nathan has no issues and is a healthy, thriving boy. I owe a debt to God and the hospital that is impossible for me to repay. This afghan drive is my attempt to pay that emotional debt, by helping families who currently are facing the scariest time of their life. When Nathan was in the hospital, it was the kindess of people who didn't know me that gave me strength to face each day. Knowing someone was thinking about my son meant everything to me.

While I title this "afghans for NICU babies for Christmas," I take anything that you may like to give. The hospital cares for children from extreme preemies to 18 years old. If you feel moved to make something for an older child, I'm happy to take it.

I also take hats, booties, burial gowns... anything that you like to make, the hospital finds use for.

I am able to take your projects all year long. I have a shed in my backyard, and 2 gigantic rubbermade tubs to store items in. Anytime you want to send me something is fine. I deliver the items once a year, usually the week after Thanksgiving. The first items will be delivered on Christmas morning by Santa himself. The remaining items are saved to be used by the hospital chaplain and nursing staff. Some blankets are used to wrap babies that will never go home. They wrap the babies in the afghans while their parents hold them as they pass away, and then the blankets are given to the parents as memento of their child.

Fortunately, most babies survive, and they are given afghans to comfort them in the hospital and when they go home.

Here are the requirements for the afghans:

1. Really - there are no requirements. Any size, any shape, any material. However, acrylic yarn is more washable and durable, and is a good idea for a sick child.

2. The smaller the baby, the more monitors they are on - so the smaller the afghan, the less holes it should have so that wires don't get tangled up.

3. The smaller the baby, the less they weigh... therefore, any preemie ghan should be made of a lighter weight yarn. The extreme preemies are hardly bigger than a Barbie doll - think lightweight for them.

4. Most babies I saw, were full term (as my son was) - some are very chunky... so, not all ghans need to be preemie size.

Thank you for considering helping these babies. I appreciate it more than you realize.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll be happy to contribute again this year. I'm glad to hear that the delivery to the hospital went well. You are an angel to these children and parents to take the time and make the effort to organize this and deliver the 'ghans. Kudos to you!

Thank you Jeanne! You never fail to send beautiful ghans to the babies! I especially loved the sweetheart ripple this year!

I do hope that it brought someone joy this holiday season! It was a pleasure to send it.

As a matter of fact, I was just thinking of this project this week. Hope to get more crocheting done this year, but I know even 1 blanket is a blessing to these babies.

Thanks again for getting this organized, storing the items all year and delivering them.

• 3 weeks later...

That hat is ADORABLE!  I'm in this year too.  I missed last year :-(  My DD (just turned 2) is just now "letting" me crochet in peace.  I already have 2 done, one that needs a border and ends weaved in, and another one on the hook.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sorry i was unable to send you my afghans I had made for last year. I'm a nursing student and each semester is very stressful. I will definitely send you the afghans I made last year and more during the summer before my fall semster this year!

Archived