Organizing Patterns

lannoe

Question

18 answers to this question

I started to print off pattens but that soon was not working. I tag patterns and keep them organized on ravelry. I also try to enter there what books and magazines I have so if i come scross a patrern i like i know if i have the book or magazine its in. I do have a lot of patterns stored on my puter that i put in folders

I used to store links on my blog to avoid printing, but I found some of the websites die out and the links go with them. I still update my links and for patterns I don't depend on it works well. However, for those I am most likely to make I print and store them. One of my favorite Barbie sites disappeared and I was glad the patterns were in binders. If I backed up my computer more frequently, I might trust keeping my patterns in computer folders. However being bad about that, I know paper is still my safer option.

I use an excel sheet to track my books, magazines and online pattern purchases. I find it easy to sort and resort when I want to look by a designer, publisher, or title.

I am trying to figure this out also. I have most of my patterns saved digitally and use the Kindle app on my iPod Touch to read the patterns, but I would like a way to make notes to save with the file. Such as if I used more or less stitches or a different stitch all together. Does Evernote do that?? Or does anyone else have a better app to store, view and make notes on .pdf files?

I have considered a tablet or Kindle for being able to read and use a pattern that way, but I do mark up my patterns, and while I suppose there could be a way to do the same if the pattern was, say on Microsoft Word, it just seems that it would be a little awkward...maybe in time...

I use 3 ring binders and page protectors...some how I bought a huge package of them, so cost of page protectors is not an issue with me. I do them by a rough sort category, but maybe eventually I'll do a code and index so I can find what I'm looking for a little easier...

Meanwhile, while I do save some patterns digitally, I actually feel a little safer having a hard copy as well. Things can happen yes, to a hard copy, but they can also happen to one's computer too...I do thing that having some kind of redundancy (back up) would be in order...but for now, rough sort categories like doilies, baby things, wearables, home and so on in page protectors in binders is what I do.

I am trying to figure this out also. I have most of my patterns saved digitally and use the Kindle app on my iPod Touch to read the patterns, but I would like a way to make notes to save with the file. Such as if I used more or less stitches or a different stitch all together. Does Evernote do that?? Or does anyone else have a better app to store, view and make notes on .pdf files?

I have started using evernote (evernote.com, I have the app on my cell, tablet and yes my PC). I save all patterns to evernote, then tag it with what ever the type of project it is. Makes hunting far easier. For my books, I have started an excel sheet that I store in evernote so can refer to it in stores before I buy stuff.

I only put my pattern in a sheet protector while I'm using it. Keeps the cost down if cost is a factor. Most of my printed patterns are in file folders according to what the pattern is. I store them in a plastic box that will accommodate file folders.

I've only just started crocheting recently and so far all of my patterns are digital. What I've done is organized them by category, baby stuff, blankets etc. then I put a code of either 1,2 or 3 at the beginning of the file name to denote if the maker allows the finished item to be sold. 1=yes 2=there was no indication and the author would need to be contacted and 3=no.

I'm not really planning to sell anything but you never know and I'd rather make certain that I have all my eggs in a row then risk getting into trouble later.

I am planning on printing everything out eventually and keeping them in the sheet protectors and binders like everyone has done. I love organizing things like this so I'm looking forward to growing my collection of patterns as much as I am looking forward to actually crocheting.

I started to print off pattens but that soon was not working. I tag patterns and keep them organized on ravelry. I also try to enter there what books and magazines I have so if i come scross a patrern i like i know if i have the book or magazine its in. I do have a lot of patterns stored on my puter that i put in folders

i love the idea of adding books and magazines to Ravelry. I started adding them tonight. It is easy and fun...my problem is that some of my books are not inthe database so i am going to have to add my own entries for some

That's a great idea. I have not used Ravelry that way yet. Having my stash and book/magazine/loose patterns listed there would help me keep better track of everything. Thanks for the tip :)

i store mine in page protectors in three ring binders...they are organised by type with each binder labeled...baby, toys, afghans, christmas, clothing, kitchen etc. In the binders however there is no organization i just have to flip through to find what i want

This is how I have mine set up.

I store each pattern in a protective sheet. I organize by type in 3 ring binders. I have for example all crocheted sweater patterns in one binder.

Knit sweaters in a second binder. My binders fill a 2 drawer file cabinet.

I have one binder with mixed patterns which I use frequently. I also

mark patterns which which are family favorites going back several

generations.

Granny Square ~ what a great idea adding a P to remind you that you have printed it already!

I don't have a printer, so I keep all my patterns on my computer, but I do keep them in categories like Chrissy does. I also do a couple unusual categories. The 1st is Patterns I have made and like. All patterns I've made and I'm likely to make again go in here. The 2nd is Patterns to try soon. These are patterns I'm likely to make within the next year.

I'm going to steal this idea since I, too, have found myself making multiple copies of patterns. Thanks for sharing!

I've been clipping patterns since before the internet so my system is antique - patterns are in folders in a file cabinet by general category (I'd go bankrupt buying page protectors :P)

Patterns I've saved on my computer I suffix with a "-p" if I've I've printed it out & filed it. I was always forgetting and finding 2 copies, so it's my way not to waste the ink & paper!

I've been clipping patterns since before the internet so my system is antique - patterns are in folders in a file cabinet by general category (I'd go bankrupt buying page protectors :P)

Patterns I've saved on my computer I suffix with a "-p" if I've I've printed it out & filed it. I was always forgetting and finding 2 copies, so it's my way not to waste the ink & paper!

i store mine in page protectors in three ring binders...they are organised by type with each binder labeled...baby, toys, afghans, christmas, clothing, kitchen etc. In the binders however there is no organization i just have to flip through to find what i want

Archived