Upgrading Forum Software

As you know, we periodically have down time for a forum upgrade. Well, this time it's going to be a really big upgrade because our current software is at end of life.

We've taken a lot of time to think about how we'll proceed. Regardless of our choice, big change would be afoot. That's because the next version of the software we're using is a complete overhaul of the layout and everything (small company got bought out by big company, and made big changes in software). We're really not happy with the direction the new company is taking with the software, so sometime in the next few weeks, we'll be moving over to Invision Power Suite.

We know this will be a major change, so we're giving you plenty of advance notice to get used to the idea. :)

When Will This Happen?

We aren't sure of the exact date yet, but it will be sometime in January 2013.

Forum Downtime

The forum will be down for several days while we migrate the database to the new software. (It's huge!) We'll be sure to give you advance notice so you can make plans accordingly!

How to Keep In Touch with Us during Downtime

While the forum is down, we can all keep in contact with each other in these places:

Our Blog

Our Facebook Page

Our Twitter Account

Another New Thing :c9

We have another exciting new feature that we're introducing TODAY!

We know how disappointed you all have been with the changes to Crochet Pattern Central after Rachel retired and turned it over to another company.

We have a new option for you:

Crochetville's Own Free Pattern Directory!

Read all about in this post. Be sure to click the link in that post to visit the directory and see what all the buzz is about!

kudos to you for all you do for the ville! the .com looks great, the new pattern directory is off to a great start! and I'm sure you all will do a great job with this huge undertaking of forum updates. (thanks for the early headsup, too)

My biggest fear is losing the way the threads are. I may sound dumb but crochetville is the only place I talk to others because you go into the post and follow everyone's comments and can make your own. I've always loved this.

For example I do not chat on Ravelry because I can't even figure out how to follow posts. I had such a hard time even finding the groups so that's my fear. If this goes like other blog places I will no longer we able to follow it.

We will try to make the change as painless as possible, I promise! We'll still have the same ol' colors, the same crochet background, and the same logo. And we'll still be a forum with threads and replies, same as ever. Same forum categories and everything; the content will remain the same.

I know change can be difficult, but unfortunately we have no choice since our software is end of life and will no longer be supported. We have to upgrade, whether it is to the new-and-"improved" version of our existing software or to another software.

If you'd like to take a look, here are links to the "new" vBulletin and Invision Power forums. As you can see, they are very similar in terms of layout, so visually there would be a change no matter which software we used. We took many things into consideration and it wasn't an easy decision.

I can't picture us changing that much right. Take it easy on us old guys, we don't like a lot of change.

Guess when it happens, I guess I will be on facebook.:sigh

I still haven't figured out facebook either. I understand the change and most of the time change is good. We just went through a big upgrade at my job. I work very well on software, I just don't see to be able to grasp the blogging sites. As I said previously, it was one of the reasons I joined crochetville, I could follow the threads. Oh well, I will keep my fingers crossed that I can still follow it.

Pat, don't worry. The threads will still work the same basic way. The organizational structure will be pretty much the same. Buttons to start threads or post replies may look slightly different and be in slightly different locations, but they'll still work the same way.

Profiles will look a bit different, and you might be able to put different information in them, but you'll still recognize them as user profiles.

There will also be some new capabilities and features that we'll introduce s.l.o.w.l.y as people have a chance to get used to the way the new software works.

One of the reasons we aren't going with vBulletin is that some people had said the new versions got rid of a lot of what made forums great and added a bunch of Facebook-like stuff that people who love forums wouldn't necessarily want or need. Sort of like Facebook-lite, minus forum features that people still wanted.

We hope the choice to go with Invision will mean "the same old forum you know and love but just spiffed up a little bit" along with the addition of some new fun things without having any functions taken away.

We can all hang out on our Facebook page for the several days the forum may be down, then run right back over here as soon as the forum is back up and running again. :)

I haven't been around much for a few days and today look what I see! Change is coming! Thank you so much for the free pattern site Donna and Amy. It looks great. As for the forum changing, I'm nervous like the others, lol. I have a hard time with change and especially have a hard time figuring out other threads. I can't figure out Yahoo threads for the life of me! I'll sit back and pray that all goes well. I trust you'll get us thru this!

I still haven't figured out facebook either. I understand the change and most of the time change is good. We just went through a big upgrade at my job. I work very well on software, I just don't see to be able to grasp the blogging sites. As I said previously, it was one of the reasons I joined crochetville, I could follow the threads. Oh well, I will keep my fingers crossed that I can still follow it.

I'm with you. I have figured out Ravelry, somewhat, but a lot of the blogs, forget it! :lol

Pat, don't worry. The threads will still work the same basic way. The organizational structure will be pretty much the same. Buttons to start threads or post replies may look slightly different and be in slightly different locations, but they'll still work the same way.

Profiles will look a bit different, and you might be able to put different information in them, but you'll still recognize them as user profiles.

There will also be some new capabilities and features that we'll introduce s.l.o.w.l.y as people have a chance to get used to the way the new software works.

One of the reasons we aren't going with vBulletin is that some people had said the new versions got rid of a lot of what made forums great and added a bunch of Facebook-like stuff that people who love forums wouldn't necessarily want or need. Sort of like Facebook-lite, minus forum features that people still wanted.

We hope the choice to go with Invision will mean "the same old forum you know and love but just spiffed up a little bit" along with the addition of some new fun things without having any functions taken away.

We can all hang out on our Facebook page for the several days the forum may be down, then run right back over here as soon as the forum is back up and running again. :)

Yay, I'm gonna need a place to hang out. Although, I'm not so good at Facebook, lol.

For those who do use ravelry, we can also talk on the crochetville group there.

I'll see ya there!

Will we lose our subscribed threads and our message history? I've used my subscriptions to mark projects I want to do.

I found the official answer: all subscriptions and private messages will be saved and moved over to the new forum software. :clap

Archived