Sign in to follow this  
Digitalnamshub

Pattern help

Question

Pattern in question reads as follows:

"Row 1: ch 4, (4 dc, ch 3, slip st) in fourth ch from hook"

this is a scarf. It seems to me the pattern is directing me to do the 4 dc and the 3 chain and the slip st ALL in the fourth chain. Ok. The dc is no issue, but when you finish the last dc, the hook is in the top of the stitch away from the 4th chain. SO either I chain from where I am at, which is normal for a pattern, or I have to push through the 4th chain to start ch there. Which is it?

And then the slip st... I am confused as to why you would slip st at the end of a chain before starting a new row... not to mention, slip st to what? you are at the end of a chain. The slip st i was taught requires a stitch to work into

"Row 2: Chain 3, turn, (4 dc, ch 3, slip st) in first ch-3 sp"

What does the "3 sp" mean at the end? I know sp means space but not sure what to do with it

Thanks in advance

DN

Edited by Digitalnamshub

4 answers to this question

Is this pattern on the web, could you post a link?

Ch 3, sl st in the fourth ch : you have just finished the 4th DC. Ch 3, insert the hook in the same chain that you made all the other stitches in, and slip stitch into that. So, the ch 3 brings you from the top of that DC down to it's toes, so to speak.

After doing all this, you have 4 DC, with a ch 3 space on each side. Well, one of these was originally 4 ch, but one ch is now occupied with all those stitches you made in row 1, so 3 the remaining chains form a space.

For Row 2, I'd interpret it to mean to use the chain space to be first ch space that was created (by the ch 4).

Lets see if I can make this clearer.

Row 1: You chain 4, work 4 dc in the 4th ch from the hook, ch 3, sl st into the same ch st.

Row 2: ch 3, turn, now you will work 4 dc in the last ch 3 sp of previous row, ch 3, and sl st into the same sp,

( This will actually be working into the side of row 1. )

I know this can be confusing as it's not linear. But it truly does work. I sat down and tried it to be sure.

Thanks for the help! The pattern is out of a book, I double checked to make sure I typed it right, but alas, no picture to show.

I think I understand now. As you can tell I am new to crocheting. Are patterns usually this ambiguous? Abbreviations are pretty clear cut, but this is not the first time I have been stumped. Good to know there are some crafty crafters I can turn to for help. :)

DN

Glad to help. Don't feel bad I have known this sort of thing to stump seasoned crocheters.

But, No not all patterns are this tricky. But if you find one that stumps you, Someone here is sure to help you out.