2013 Stashbusting CAL

tnkycrochetnut

Bailey4 and FrLopLady: Thank you for your help/clarifications. :) I have several projects going, but they're split between crochet and...knitting, and none of them are going very quickly. I was just confused about the "CAL" part. For this year, I think I'll chip away at the accumulated stash, which heaven knows needs to happen!

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome, Davina! I'm going to be negative this week, as well.  I've got to get to HL and get some yarn for a couple projects. I'm also going to be making my first trip to my LYS soon to look for some yarn for the Spring Yarn Swap. :) I'm looking forward to that adventure.

I need to crochet like crazy this week to make up for the yarn I'll be buying.

Have a great week, all and... Happy hooking!!

P.S. I'm convinced that large cones of cotton should be worth at least 50 points.  LOL! This thing is going to take FOREVER to use up!

The trip to Wal-Mart this morning left me at -8:  2 skeins of cotton and two variegated for a tote. But at least this is yarn I was going to look for at HL. I figured it was probably cheaper at W-M.

Welcome, Davina! I'm going to be negative this week, as well.  I've got to get to HL and get some yarn for a couple projects. I'm also going to be making my first trip to my LYS soon to look for some yarn for the Spring Yarn Swap. :) I'm looking forward to that adventure.

P.S. I'm convinced that large cones of cotton should be worth at least 50 points.  LOL! This thing is going to take FOREVER to use up!

I know the feeling I'm working on a large thread cone and I think it may end up being an heirloom. :yes

I know the feeling I'm working on a large thread cone and I think it may end up being an heirloom. :yes

:lol - I used to think the same thing... just remember, it only counts as 2 points down when you GET those big cones (or Pounders) so be thankful for that!!  Otherwise our scores would nosedive even FASTER!!  :haha

Got suckered in the yarn deals at Michaels, so I walked out with 8 skeins. -16. But I did just finish a skein so currently I am at -14. Going to spend a lot of time crocheting...what a pity ;)

Went to Michaels Sat. afternoon. Got 1 skein (-2) for an afghan I'm working on. On the bus trip to/from Michaels I finished a skein (+2) :clap . The 3.5 oz. skeins go fast, no rolling them down. The 7 oz. RH SS takes longer, but should be half gone by the time I finish the afghan.

WTD:  0  YTD:  + 55

Ellie 13

Got suckered in the yarn deals at Michaels, so I walked out with 8 skeins. -16. But I did just finish a skein so currently I am at -14. Going to spend a lot of time crocheting...what a pity ;)

Oh my - I just went to their website to check out the deals (something I vowed not to do), and there really are some good deals right now.  But, I have to be strong and resist.  I'm actually trying to go the whole spring/summer without buying yarn, so I'm just going to stay away completely.  Since joining this CAL a few weeks ago, I have actually completely abstained from yarn purchases.

I've finished off two skeins of cotton and rolled another to a ball, so I'm at +5 for the week.  I made about 5 dishcloths (you can see them on my blog listed in my signature, if you'd like).  I am probably going to start on an afghan later tonight using either a 7 oz or a 1 lb skein (depends on the colour I choose), so I probably won't get much more than the +5 this week!

Further in the hole. 4 more skeins from w-m. The multicolored RH yarn wasn't looking like I thought I would, so I got a different color. Plus two skeins of caron ss to go with what I had in my stash for a shawl.  Now I'm at -16.

Just a quick question for everybody.  If we donate yarn, does that count the same as using it up in projects?  I have a friend with a 9-year-old daughter and often give her balls of yarn I'm not going to use.  I'm also considering donating some to a charity that gives yarn to nursing homes.

Just a quick question for everybody.  If we donate yarn, does that count the same as using it up in projects?  I have a friend with a 9-year-old daughter and often give her balls of yarn I'm not going to use.  I'm also considering donating some to a charity that gives yarn to nursing homes.

Yes, it counts. Best way to remember is if it leaves your stash, it counts, if it enters your stash, it counts. No matter how.

Yes, it counts. Best way to remember is if it leaves your stash, it counts, if it enters your stash, it counts. No matter how.

Thanks!  I figured it would, but I just wanted to make sure.  I have mismatched skeins of baby yarn that I'll never use, so I might as well give them away to stashbust a little more.

I started a Jacob's Ladder afghan tonight, and I think I might have to purchase two more skeins in the colours I'm using to make sure I have enough for the afghan.  I'm actually really sad I'll have to do that, but I think I might make sure that I have at least two skeins to donate to Value Village, which is right next to Michaels, so I can balance out the purchase!

I started a purse and am using more mystery big lots yarn  already one down, and part of a second.  plus a bit of a skein of cotton ease.  have to find handles for the purse so I will be trying to avoid the yarn section lol.

Archived