hello from NC

DinahW

Hi my name is Dinah. I am new to crochet. I know the basic stitches. I have always knitted. HOwever, I have been doing a lot of crochet for christmas presents lately. I prefer Crochet over knitting.

Here is my problem. I am having a allergic reaction to the yarn. Everytime that I start crochet, my eyes start swelling, Im sniffling, and slight headache. I know its the yarn because its the only time I do this.

Should I be washing the yarn and if so, whats the best way to do this.

Sorry to introduce myself with a problem but I really love crocheting and would like to continue. Thanks

Dinah

Hi Dinah! :welcome from South Carolina! I'm just outside Columbia... I'm not sure what to try as far as the allergy goes. Have you tried different kinds of yarn? Other than that - and washing the yarn, I'm not sure what else you could try.

Glad you've joined the 'Ville! :)

Hi from another NC crocheter. If you knit with the same types of yarns that you crochet with and it doesn't bother you then something else is going on. Have you tried different yarns? Certain brands can sometimes bother me. Are you crocheting in a certain place that you dont otherwise sit at? Maybe it is something around you and not the yarn.

Greetings from the Crystal Coast!

What type of yarn are you using to crochet? Acrylic is generally allergy free unless you are supersensitive to dyes used to color them. All wool is not created (or treated) equally, my friend can't use wool from sheep but can use alpaca. You may have to spend some detective time trying to find out what is causing the reaction.

I first was using acrylic. Noticed the allergy starting when I started making aphgan christmas red. Thinking it was dye. However the 100%cotton yarn for baby also causes the same reaction. I knitted off and on for last 6 years and just re cently decided to learn to crochet and I love it. So I might try to wash my yarn.

Dinah. (Nice welcome)

Hi Dinah. :welcome to Crochetville from the west side of Michigan. I'm sorry that you're having problem with the yarn you are using. I know that there are people who have a sensitive to wool Check the contents of the yarn to determine what is causing you the problem. Good luck.

Archived