What do you do with doilies?

AppleCider

I have a lot of thread ready for doilies. So far I've only made one doily, and a few small items. I'm not sure I want too many doilies out either, but I love working with thread and I think doilies are beautiful! If I don't come up with something creative, I may just store them and get them out now and then and admire them. I might rotate what I display. I crochet for the joy of it, so it wouldn't bother me not to have too many out. Guess I'm not much help.

There are so many different styles and patterns and colors that you can make them to your current taste. You don't have to make the old fashioned looking ones.

When I think of old fashioned doilies I picture white and mostly pineapples. My Dad became a widower several years ago. His favorite color has always been red. So, he has red afghans, red doilies for under his lamps, really cool doily coasters, etc. It looks amazing how that one color pulled a boring beige room together. It doesn't look old fashioned at all and this is a bachelor pad!

Doilies have come into their own in the fashion world lately. I've seen them on evening wear, vests, flowing skirts, blouses, jackets and on and on. I have used them as accents on accessories too.....totes, purses, hats. I also use them for a bit of old fashioned schmaltz on draperies or as tiebacks; some end up in my sewing basket to applique on quilt blocks or clothing. I drape larger more open stitch ones over bedroom lampshades. I use them to wrap small gifts in that way the recipient gets two gifts...lol. Of course I layer them on tables with table runners or cloths. Smaller ones I add glue and stick them onto greeting cards. I even save old, clear CD cases and put snowflake doilies in them for unique ornaments or add a bit of cork or felt to the back of the cases and I have a Victorian-ish coaster. I use them for pitcher or glass covers (add bead dangles for weight) for when we are sitting out in the "bugs" and I use them under tea cups on top of the saucer. Larger ones I have sewn onto each side of a quilted teapot cozy (they look so elegant on black or navy blue fabric).

They are great to make into sachets...folding in half and sewing edges, gathering up and tying top with ribbon or sewing two small doilies together. Just add potpourri or scented cotton balls and hang in closet or slip into drawers, shoes or storage totes. (be careful of the oils if you lay them with clothing.

Gosh, I love making doilies and give a ton of them away too. But I continually find more ways to be a bit more creative. So glad you are interested into crocheting them too. They are lovely examples of an old art.

Hugs,

Barbara

I want a larger doily in soft greens and cream to put under my candy dish in the center of my kitchen counter.

Only by keeping something decorative there (like the candy dish) can I stop it from becoming a dumping ground for mail and other debris as it comes into the house!

I would like to do the same for my kitchen table (same reason) currently the Advent Wreath and Christmas place mats are preventing the dumping ground !

Doilies have come into their own in the fashion world lately. I've seen them on evening wear, vests, flowing skirts, blouses, jackets and on and on. I have used them as accents on accessories too.....totes, purses, hats. I also use them for a bit of old fashioned schmaltz on draperies or as tiebacks; some end up in my sewing basket to applique on quilt blocks or clothing. I drape larger more open stitch ones over bedroom lampshades. I use them to wrap small gifts in that way the recipient gets two gifts...lol. Of course I layer them on tables with table runners or cloths. Smaller ones I add glue and stick them onto greeting cards. I even save old, clear CD cases and put snowflake doilies in them for unique ornaments or add a bit of cork or felt to the back of the cases and I have a Victorian-ish coaster. I use them for pitcher or glass covers (add bead dangles for weight) for when we are sitting out in the "bugs" and I use them under tea cups on top of the saucer. Larger ones I have sewn onto each side of a quilted teapot cozy (they look so elegant on black or navy blue fabric).

They are great to make into sachets...folding in half and sewing edges, gathering up and tying top with ribbon or sewing two small doilies together. Just add potpourri or scented cotton balls and hang in closet or slip into drawers, shoes or storage totes. (be careful of the oils if you lay them with clothing.

Gosh, I love making doilies and give a ton of them away too. But I continually find more ways to be a bit more creative. So glad you are interested into crocheting them too. They are lovely examples of an old art.

Hugs,

Barbara

You have some wonderful innovative ideas here. I've not crochet a doily in years, but you inspired me to give it a shot. I started a doily yesterday, it will be finished later today, when it is I'll show it off.

Thanks

Applique one or more to a pillow.

I saw a specific pattern for this, but a lot of openwork patterns would work: Use with a gift bag that you can pull the tops closed, or nearly so: Untie & remove the ties, fold the bag closed, center the doily over the closed edge of the bag & drape over the top of the bag , and re-string the ties (or use new yarn to create handles) thru the bag & doily. Takes the place of tissue paper and you have 2 gifts in one. (edit - found the original pattern, here http://www.crochet-world.com/newsletters.php?mode=article&article_id=1332)

Make a wedding dress http://giacanali.com/blog/2010/05/jillian-daxs-romantic-handmade-everything-california-mountain-elopement/

I used to put them under lamps to protect the furniture but have since removed a few. The ones that I still have out are on my dresser and if I bring a cup of coffee or tea into the bedroom, I put it there also to protect the furniture.

Anyone who knows me, knows I love doilies.

I use them in the traditional manner. I have many antiques and use them to protect them from scratches.

Plus,

put them on the back a chair in a color/ or color combination that accents the chair.

I have them draped over my good towels in my bathroom on the rod. On the back of my toilet instead of fuzzy cover.

Sun catchers in my windows.

Draped so part of the doily hangs down on my library shelves.

As others have said color can make a big difference. I love my white doilies in certain places, but love using a colorful doily to pull the colors in a room together.

I like doilies as pillow fronts also.

I use one on a pedastal cake plate for special occasions.

In my bread basket.

RoseRed was correct there are so many styles these days that you should be able to find something to fit your needs and decor.

• 3 weeks later...

I've seen them appliqued to pillows made of natural linen, sometimes centered, sometimes offset. The linen gives them a crisp, modern look.

• 3 weeks later...
On the back of my toilet instead of fuzzy cover.

I thought I was the only one who thought of that! :lol

I have a purple pineapple doily on the tank lid with the spare roll (hidden in a specialty tin just for that purpose) sitting on top of it. Even though the doily is a classic pineapple pattern, I think the "hip" color, along with the purple towels and rug make it look less traditional.

So you can use them in traditional ways but use color and trendy accessories to make them look like they belong... I hope that came across the right way. :hook

I've used doilies in several different picture frames, I've also quilted them to the top of fabric in a wooden embroidery hoop, then edged the hoop with lace. They can be really pretty draped over a small lamp shade. Just so many things you can do with them. I'm sure you'll find something great to use yours for.

I have draped the over the backs of ladder back antique chairs to add the feeling of "oldness" lol. My sister is secretly still crazy over doilies even tho she says they are out of style. I'll go to her high fashion home and still find the ones I've made thru the years in odd little places....she's not fooling me LOL

• 2 weeks later...

I love making doilies...I love actually using them as they originally intended as well as using them for card making...or using them as part of a purse or wearable...and you know, even if my place were to look like a "granny's attic" I wouldn't mind...think of it instead as something like steampunk...

• 2 weeks later...

I have three, one is from my hubby's grandmother,that sits under my prized Capodiamonte statue that I received as a gift while in Sicily.The other two were made by a friend from the 'ville,they are on the end table and coffee table and I'm so in awe of her work

• 7 months later...

Making doilies is what I do with doilies.  Seeing the straight thread turn into a stunning design gives me a great feeling of accomplishment.

I have a glass topped serving cart, and my latest production goes on top until displaced by the next.

When I bring a bottle of wine as a hostess gift, I wrap one of my larger doilies around it.  It's so much more appealing than a paper bag.

. On the back of my toilet instead of fuzzy cover.

I did this too!!  I have a rectangular doily that is beautiful; it hangs over just a little on all sides, and I put an antique glass tray on top of it, with some fancy old perfume jars and a candle.

• 1 month later...

Weren't they originally used at afternoon tea? On a fine plate with pretty cakes and delicately cut sandwiches. This is the way they were used in my family, no paper doilies or paper napkins!

The napkins would always be rolled, held with a napkin ring, folding them in to fancy shapes was considered to be " common" by my dear Grandmother. That was Great Britain, and many years ago.

How times change, these days I rip off a piece of kitchen roll to wipe my fingers!

I have a drawer full of very old doilies, so I appreciate this thread.

It's funny how customs like napkin folding are regarded in different times and different places. I'd never heard about its being considered "common."  Maybe it was considered a too self-conscious effort at gentility. My mother was adamantly against some things, like pierced ears, saying that was "trashy." Here's an interesting little article on napkin folding (which is one of my favorite things to do to make my guests feel special).

http://www.ediblegeography.com/the-history-and-techniques-of-napkin-folding/ It was done by butlers for the hoi polloi (sp?).

Weren't they originally used at afternoon tea? On a fine plate with pretty cakes and delicately cut sandwiches. This is the way they were used in my family, no paper doilies or paper napkins!
The napkins would always be rolled, held with a napkin ring, folding them in to fancy shapes was considered to be " common" by my dear Grandmother. That was Great Britain, and many years ago.
How times change, these days I rip off a piece of kitchen roll to wipe my fingers!
I have a drawer full of very old doilies, so I appreciate this thread.

Making doilies is what I do with doilies.  Seeing the straight thread turn into a stunning design gives me a great feeling of accomplishment.

I have a glass topped serving cart, and my latest production goes on top until displaced by the next.

When I bring a bottle of wine as a hostess gift, I wrap one of my larger doilies around it.  It's so much more appealing than a paper bag.

I don't do thread crochet -- though I love doilies and collect vintage ones. You'd be a most welcome guest at my table!

I like your description of how you feel about making doilies. That's exactly how I feel about my crocheting.

This is a great thread with some really creative ideas.

I thought I was the only one who thought of that! :lol

No!  I have two long doilies that I switch back and forth on my toilet tank top!!  Great minds always think along the same track!!!

• 1 year later...

Eddycatt- The doilies are beautiful. I especially like your "clock".

Maybe you would consider posting this in the folder titled "Show & Tell" - Thread Crochet- Doilies, so more members can view them.

Archived