Pillow Case Edging Pattern

terisilv

Question

Hi,

I'm looking for a pillowcase edging that you crochet directly onto a hemstitched pillow case edge. I bought some stamped pillowcases with the hemstitichng but am having a hard time finding edging that is crocheted directly onto the edge.

My dear departed grandmother made dozens of these "piller slips" before she passed away over 20 years ago, and they're wearing out. I want to make some for my mom and sister in memory of Grandma.

Thanks for your help.

3 answers to this question

I use any edging pattern that is repetitious, Once you have your foundation rnd done. just adjust on the first rnd of the edging to have it work out even. Any edging will work if it is simple enough. EXAMPLE: A shell of 3 dc, ch 1, 3 dc,in one st, sk 2 sts, sc in next, sk 2 sts, do shell in next works well. Just repeat that pattern around. Then you can alway do another rnd with sc, ch 2, sc in next sc, repeating this around will give a pretty edge to you edging. If you want it longer just do a couple rows of shells in shells and then the edging.

That's just an example. choose any pattern you like.

One place to look for edgings worked directly on a piece is check our hankercheif edgings. They are normally worked right onto the hanky.

Pesonally I like an edging you sew on then when the pillowcase wears out I can take my edging and move it to a new pillow case. Then I can get a little more elaborate with my design then.

How fortunate you are to have found pillowcases with the hemstitching!! Where did you find them? Anyway, to answer your question, the best way that works for me is to first crochet around the edge of your pillowcase, turning under the raw edge. Attach cotton in any hole, sc in same place. 2sc in next hole, 1sc in the next. Alternate like that all the way around. Then chose your edging from a site like http://www.angelfire.com/folk/celtwich/Edgings.html

working into those sc. Obviously, not all these designs will work. A handkerchief edging works, too but use a #10 thread instead of the fine thread called for on a hanky. You might need to finagle a little bit to make it fit. Count your scs and use an edging with a multiplier that'll work. You can always add more or less scs to make it work. Good luck!

Susan Rae

Archived