Christmas tree wrap

jimbo

Question

Ok so here's a question for you ever creative crochetiers..... I make little wooden Christmas trees from 1x4" boards on my band saw. They look a bit like Who-ville trees (you know..from the Grinch). The other day I saw what looked like one of my trees but it had been "yarn bombed" with what looked like crochet stitches. How'd one go about doing that? I'm thinking just do a chain of really chunky yarn and wrap the things. Whatcha think?

Oh here's a picture..

post-3105-135897790094_thumb.jpg

14 answers to this question

Cute trees!

Are they about 12-18" tall? A chain in chunky yarn is going to be really fat. I would probably use finer yarn. You could even just use yarn without crocheting it, that would be pretty too.

Are you wanting to completely cover the tree or have a garland/string of lights effect?

Thought about the garland idea and may do that, but the one I saw (in a furniture store) was covered top to bottom with a crocheted or braided REALLY chunky yarn.

My trees are oh maybe up to a foot tall and down to maybe 4 inches. They're not done to a pattern so each one is different.

Ohh and lights would be cool.... i wonder if you can by tiny battery operated light strands.

I think i've seen them at Hobby Lobby or Joanns. In the miniatures dept maybe. Also have seen necklaces that have working lights. Hallmark stores usually have a section of mini ornaments, they might have lights.

Covering the whole tree with yarn would be cool. I guess you could secure the ends with double sided tape if you want to be able to remove the yarn.

Thanks, kids! I'm gonna go looking for tiny light strands. I like the idea. And about the yarn, I'm thinking of doing a chain, then doing a chain from the chain , then wrapping the whole tree in the resulting mess. In shades of green of course and maybe incorporate the little lights. hmmmmm

I love the little trees. I love the grinch movie too. My family watches it all year round. It's a loved movie here. Are you going to sell any of them. I would love some. Let me know.

Ohh and lights would be cool.... i wonder if you can by tiny battery operated light strands.

I saw tiny battery operated light strands at Target last evening! Very nice looking "grinch-like' trees! Can't wait to see how they get decorated!!!

Great ideas kids! Now all's I need is enough time to experiment. Oh and yes I have made them for sale, a long time ago. I did trees before crochet hooks. Hooks kinda replaced trees.

Archived