DesertCrocheter

2013 Swap Schedule

The 2013 Swap Themes: Square Dancing and Birthday Fun!

It's here! The 2013 Swap Schedule is here. We have two new, exciting swaps this year: Birthday Swaps and a 9-month Square Swap.

How do these new swaps work? Well, we will be hosting 6 birthday swaps over the year. Sign up for the swap that includes your birthday month (you needn't reveal the exact date or your age ;)), and we'll pair you with someone who shares the same month as you. Then, you get to create a birthday surprise based on your partner's survey.

We also love lurking in the Friendship 'ghan CALs, and this year, we're going to help you start or finish your Crochetville Friendship Afghan. We're going to exchange squares for 9 months of 2012, enough for a nice lapghan or to make a big dent on a larger-sized afghan. Each month will have a different theme, color, or a choice of patterns. You'll be able to specify what size square you're using in your Friendship 'ghan. And, you can sign up only for those squares that interest you or match your 'ghan. Not interested in the 3-D or lacy square? No problem! Since you sign up individually for each month's Square Swap, you can skip those months.

Now, here's the catch: we're substituting our year-long Square Dance for the normal KISS (Keep It Simple Swaps), so just like the KISS exchanges, these swaps are limited to the square only. Sorry, no extras! Save those for your Birthday Swap!

But wait! There's one swap missing! We're planning a Knit for Crochet Swap that we'll be announcing in the middle of the year. (The details weren't quite worked out yet in order for Knit for Crochet to make this list, but we love this idea.) So, if you're like many of us and enjoy knitting almost as much as you love crocheting, or, if you're an expert crocheter and would be interested in swapping for a knitted treasure, or, if you've been eyeing those lovely patterns that combine both techniques in one beautiful item, check back. We'll announce Knit for Crochet in plenty of time for you to plan your swapping schedule accordingly, I promise (so don't worry that you'll be at your two-swaps-at-a-time limit and won't be able to participate).

So, without further ado, the 2013 Swaps! (And if you don't see an old favorite, never fear! No swap ever disappears; it just goes on vacation for a year).

January: Birthday Swap (January/February) Jan 1-Feb 15 (DesertCrocheter) $25 minimum
Favorite Color Jan. 15-Feb 28 (Tiffer93) $25 minimum
Notions Jan 15-Feb 15 (auntbubbels) $15 minimum - CANCELLED

February: Square Swap: any square pattern, made in blue or white (winter colors) Feb 1-Feb 28 (DesertCrocheter)
Starts With a… Swap Feb 1-Mar 15 (Kidge) $25 minimum
Magic Ball Swap Feb 1-28 (Mom4x) $15 maximum

March: Birthday Swap (March/April) Mar 1-Apr 15 (auntbubbels) $25 minimum - CANCELLED
Square Swap: March Aran Square (12”), March square (6”), or any Irish-themed pattern Mar 1-31 (Tiffer93)
Amigurumi Swap Mar 1-30 (nicolep)

April: Square Swap: any square pattern, made with yellow yarn Apr 1-30 (sahm2g1b)
Scavenger Hunt Apr 1-May 15 (DesertCrocheter) $25 minimum
Spring/Summer Yarn Swap Apr 1-May 15 (Mom4x) $25 minimum (cotton, bamboo, linen—warm weather yarns)

May: Birthday Swap (May/June) May 1-June 15 (auntbubbels) $25 minimum
Square Swap: any square with a flower in its name May 1-31 (Tiffer93)
Home Décor Swap May 1-June 15 (kidge) $25 minimum

June: Square Swap: any lacy-patterned square June 1-July 1 (DesertCrocheter)
Bookmark Swap June 1-July 1 (nicolep)
Purses and Totes Swap June 1-July 15 (Mom4x)

July: Birthday Swap (July/August) July 1-Aug 15 (sahm2g1b) $25 minimum
Square Swap: any square with the name shell in it, a shell stitch, or made with a yarn with the word shell in it July 1-30 (DesertCrocheter)

August: Square Swap: 3-D—any square with flower or other motif that makes it 3-D Aug 1-31 (Tiffer93)
Java Jamboree Aug 1-Sept 16 (nicolep)
Kit and Kaboodle Swap Aug 1-Sept 16 (kidge) $25 minimum

September: Birthday Swap (September/October) Sept 1-Oct 15 (auntbubbels) $25 minimum
Square Swap: Science or Nature square (e.g., planet-named squares, animal-named squares, bug-named squares) Sept 1-30 (DesertCrocheter)
Shawl Swap Sept 1-Oct 15 (kidge)

October: Square Swap: any square with the word snow in its name Oct 1-31 (mom4x)
Scarf or Cowl Swap Oct 1-31 (auntbubbels)
Harvest/Winter Yarn Swap Oct 1-Nov 15(nicolep) $25 minimum

November: Birthday Swap (November/December) Nov 1-Dec 15 (Tiffer93) $25 minimum
Stocking Stuffer Nov 1-Dec 16 (DesertCrocheter) $10 maximum
Holiday Gift Swap Nov. 1-Dec 16 (auntbubbels) $25 minimum

As usual, if you have an questions, feel free to post them here, or to pm me or one of our friendly hostesses. And it might be a good time to review the Swap Guidelines. Remember, some swaps have you only swapping a single item, others have you swapping $25 worth of yarn, and others are $25 or $15 worth of items. It's always a good idea to read the introductory posts to each swap, where the swap requirements and dates are spelled out, and in which each hostess gets to add her personal preferences re: how to contact her.

Join us for some swapping fun in 2013!

Patty

Edited by auntbubbels
  • Like 2

I'm looking forward to getting in on some of these great swaps in 2013. I didn't really get involved with Crochetville in time to get involved this year. :) The list of swaps looks very interesting. :)

Mom4x is right. The Granny Square Swap will be structured exactly like the KISS swaps. It's just that instead of 4 KISS exchanges a year, we have 9 months of swapping only granny squares (no goodies!). The introduction to the schedule explains the square swap this year.

We like to switch swaps out and change them up yearly to keep everyone interested. Honestly, I have so many kitchen things after participating in that one several years in a row, that I'll probably not do that one for a few years. So people like me need new swap ideas because we love swapping! But, because I know new swappers will want to have the fun of different swaps, particular swaps go on vacation for a year and then are hosted the next year. No swap ever gets retired permanently, I promise.

It keeps swapping fun and exciting and ever changing for everyone! I hope you like granny squares, MissyAnn, and will participate in some of those. We're hoping to see a lot of Crochetville Friendship afghans get started or completed with the granny square swap (which is always the most popular KISS, by the way, so it seemed natural to capitalize on that).

Patty

Well, I was just so excited to see the swap list that I didn't read all of the beginining. Oops. I do have some of the square swaps on my list of swap. I wrote them all down and highlighted the ones I'm interested in and have it hung on refrigerator so I don't miss any. :)

That's a great idea MissyAnn, I might have to borrow that. I am bad to miss the signup dates

Kit and Kaboodle, Magic Ball, Scavenger Hunt, Java Jamboree

Cam someone please explain to me what each of these swaps is?

For the magic ball swap, we wrapped a bunch of goodies in a ball of yarn. There's more information about that one here.

I'm curious about the Scavenger Hunt one!! I have a guess about the Java Jamboree, but not sure. I'm guessing it might 

have something to do with coffee? But do NOT take my word on that one  :lol.

Kit and Kaboodle MIGHT be sending everything you need to make a specific project - again do NOT take my word on that. 

It's just my guess  :P

Oh did someone say coffee?! I think I'm going to have to sign up for that come August. :D:lol

Kit and Kaboodle, Magic Ball, Scavenger Hunt, Java Jamboree

Cam someone please explain to me what each of these swaps is?

Kit and Kaboodle is a project bag, the pattern and all the materials needed to make the project.  It's kind of like ordering one of those kits online only this one is individualized by your partner. 

Kit and Kaboodle is one of our most popular swaps, and it's one we offer every year. You make a complete kit for you partner based on a project she says she'd like to make. Usually people offer several ideas or patterns they'd like to make, and you chose one, and then you get all the supplies (hook, yarn, notions, pattern) and bundle it all up in the kaboodle--a tote or box or gift bag or whatever creative package idea you come up with. Here's a link to last year's Kit and Kaboodle swap so you can see examples of what I mean. It's lots of fun. Just a reminder, though, to familiarize yourself again with the Crochetville guidelines on sending someone a pattern (we have you send it through Ravelry, or you have to buy the book or pamphlet the pattern is in--no copying it out by hand or xeroxing it--that violates copyright law). When I do the Kit and Kaboodle swap, I pick a pattern that I either already own (in Interweave Crochet) or is free online so that my partner doesn't have to worry about copyright issues.

The Java Jamboree and the Tea Cosy swaps switch out years, so swappers get to exchange the caffeine of their choice. Decaf and tisanes welcome too! People exchange tea or coffee (depending), sometimes books (there are coffee shop and tea room mystery series) or magazines, coffee-flavored candy, or even yarn with a coffee- (or tea-) themed name. Cookies make an appearance with the tea swap a lot (we love cookies with our tea!). It's a nice little change from an ordinary yarn swap, and allows you to send you partner a complete coffee break. What;s more fun then sitting down with a new cup of coffee in a new flavor (I usually send one from one of our local coffee shops so people get a taste of the southwest) and a book or some new yarn to play with?

And the Scavenger Hunt was a new swap last year; you can read about it here. But be forewarned--this year's hunt will not have a theme like last year's did, but be more of a real scavenger hunt. And instead of the first hunter to finish getting a surprise gift, there will be a couple of games, and the winner or winners may get a little something from me. I've been working on the scavenger list for a month now--I keep changing my mind!--and the sign-ups, with the list of items that have to be included will go up in about 10 days for people to sign up for it. There will be a list of items that you have to send (the scavenger list) and then you can send along any other additional items you want to fill out the rest of the package based on your partner's preferences.

Home Decor is replacing the kitchen swap this year, because frankly, Kidge and I both wanted to think about making other home items since we've both done the kitchen swap so many times! You'll be able to specify on your survey whether you want items for the kitchen, living room, bedroom, etc., so if really wanted kitchen items, you can still get them. There are just so many lovely pillow patterns, and runners, and other home decor patterns out there that it seemed a shame to focus on the kitchen and ignore the rest of the house.

i think the rest of the swaps are pretty self-explanatory, but if you have any questions on any of them, please feel free to ask. And suggestions for swap ideas are always welcome. The Magic Ball swap was suggested by a member last year, and we had a blast in that one.

Patty

• Like 1

Hi!  Is the Purse and Totes Swap still starting on June 1st?  Time is a-tickin' ;)

I was thinking the same thing. :)

• Like 1

Hi there

I was wondering if Augusts Square swap was going ahead as there have been no sign up thread posted?

Keep your eye opened in this forum for when swap are announced.  If you are interested in the (November/December) Nov 1-Dec 15 swap, then an announcement and a survey will be posted mid - end October and then you can sign up.