Beginning an afghan

Lonefang

Question

Hello, I am a beginner at crochet and am trying to learn everything as fast as I can because I love it. When I begin making an afghan I use just a regular chain stitch and am having trouble with it being smaller than every row after it. I've tried to keep it as loose as I can and still by the second or third row of double crochet they are always larger than that first row. My question is if there is a way to avoid this or if there is a way to cover this up. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks,

Terri

11 answers to this question

That's what I do too, and probably a lot of the afghan makers here. A size larger is usually enough, unless you crochet really tightly.

I was having this problem as well. Make sure you are also counting your stitches every few rows. Nothing hurts more than yanking out an hour or more of work. Took me a few projects to get anything remotely even.

Also, you can keep the sides even as you work by putting a stitch marker or pin in the end stitches of each row. That way, as you come down each row, you will make sure to always work into the last stitch, and not miss it. Move the markers up as you work.

Hi, Terri!

Go to crochetspot.com and learn the foundation chains! Since I learned how to do them, and taught them to my senior citizens crochet group--we will never go back to making a chain again! They are easy to learn and VERY easy to start an afghan with!!

I had that same problem, so I always use a larger hook for the first and maybe even second row. Then I change hooks to the size that I will use for the rest of the afghan.

You could learn how to crochet a chainless foundation.

Here's a you tube link to a how to video. It's really not hard. You don't have to start with a chain. You make double crochet right out of thin air.

Archived