Weaving In Ends

crsheridan

Question

I am a self-taught crocheter. As such, I have never had anybody really explain to me the best way to weave in the ends of a project. I was just reading a poll in another thread, and I understand that you can either work them in as you go or wait to you are finished.

I usually will hold a tail next to the row that I am working into so that when I finish a series of stitches the tail has been worked around. A problem I often have, though, is that sometimes the tail can be seen in the spaces (as in a granny square).

Whew! Now for my question... Am I doing something wrong? Are there any good instructional videos on the internet that could help me? (I hope this all makes sense. It's 1 am for me and my brain has officially shut down, I think.)

Christel

7 answers to this question

Well, here's what I do:

Like you, with granny squares, for example, I'll crochet over the tail of the previous color for a few stitches. When I'm finished with the next color (or the granny square) I'll go back with a tapestry needle and reverse directions (at least once) weaving the end back in the direction it came from.

I also use some tacky glue (I think that's what it's called) and put a little tension on the end before putting a SMALL dab of glue before cutting the end and stretching the fabric back over the end.

Hope this makes sense.

I'm sure there are instructional videos available - just Google "crochet weaving in ends video".

Everyone has their own preference for weaving in ends. When I work with a stitch like a granny square - I'll wait and not crochet over the end. Then I'll weave it directly through the top of the stitches of the same color so it blends in.

Anytime you have spaces like that the tail is just going to float in the open space.

If I'm working on a solid piece I'll crochet over a few inches and then go back and weave it back through the center of the tail that I crocheted over. That locks it into place.

I usually work mine into the work since I absolutely hate weaving in tails. It works well for me. With the grannies, the tail end of the color I've just finished, I kinda filter through the top of the stitches so you don't get a dangling length hanging out. And the beginning tail of the yarn I've just attached, I will actually wrap around the hook with the yarn over and work it directly into a few stitches.

Thank you all so much! I am a little bit OCD about some things and tails or poofs of yarn in my work is one of the things that sometimes can bug me. (That's one reason I really like the Homespun style yarn from Lion Brand. It's 'poofey' already!)

@ Jeanne ~ I'm going to look up that video. I love learning new techniques! :) Thanks!

I weave in the ends as I go, using some of the methods descriped above. When I'm working on granny squares with different colors, I wait until I finish the first row, then weave the tail up to the top of the stitches, weave it in across the top and then continue the square. When I'm done with a color, I flip the square over and weave the tail back through the stitches I just finished. I also never knot, when I'm starting a new color I use just a loop over the hook leaveing quite along tail and weave it in as I go. If I'm making a hat, or something with solid rows, I work over the tail and leave an end long enough to weave back the other way to secure it.

Archived