stitchylady

Regular vs Bulky Weight Yarn

I have some afghan patterns that call for bulky weight yarn, but I would rather use Red Heart 4 ply instead. Has anyone done this and what will the difference in size be? I'm wondering if , by trying to get the correct guage, it would be too lacey. Thanks!

Doreen

If you have some of the yarn you want to use, make a swatch with it and compare that to the gauge in the pattern. I think the difference will be significant. Depending on the pattern, you could adapt it.

Depending how thick the bulky yarn called for is supposed to be, you could just double up your Red Heart yarn instead.

What size hook does the pattern call for and what are you making?

Assuming you swatch in pattern with a smaller hook (I would probably drop a full mm in diameter so if you pattern calls for 6.00mm try a 5.00mm.

Making some assumptions, the finished item should be in the vicinity 70-80% of the original design.

Doubling Red Heart worsted would create the reverse problem. the yarn would then be about 50% heavier than is called for (heavier than a super bulky)

Without access to the specific pattern, it is not possible to suggest the best method to achieve the same finished size. But math will be involved.

Enjoy The Making

Wheat