On Elevating Crochet to a Higher Design/Art Form

I guess my view on this is filtered through what happened to quilting and knitting. Please be patient with me, because it's a lengthy explanation.

Back in 1975-76, I wanted to learn how to quilt. Mom didn't care to quilt herself--she embroidered--so she sent me to a couple of the women in the neighborhood who had a regular Wednesday quilting. They had learned from their mothers and grandmothers, and they made everything from quilts for babies to more elaborate pieces meant for shows. I quilted with them for over fifteen years, and though most of them are gone now I still treasure the memories of the fun we had. Yes, fun. We pieced tops, traditional designs or what suited us, and quilted or knotted according to what we liked and the intended recipient would need.

Then the quilting fad started. A local university with a reputation for ignoring the obvious set up workshops to teach everyone how to quilt. Nothing we had been doing was right; all the material was wrong--washable cotton, what horror! REAL quilts could only be made of dry-clean-only fiber!--and our patterns were all wrong, even though they'd been in most of our families for a couple hundred years. At one point, I got yelled at for "stealing Amish culture" because I was making an Ohio star and the would-be teacher didn't know that pattern wasn't exclusive to the Amish community. (Come to think of it, she also failed to realize that an Old Order Amish woman wouldn't have been using the colors and prints I had in mine, either.)

We went home and kept making quilts the way we'd always done, stung by the knowledge that we were no longer "real" quilters. A lot of other people just gave up. Most of the quilting shops collapsed when people quit. Meanwhile, Chinese hand-pieced and quilted quilts showed up in local discount stores for next to nothing, so there's no respect for the traditional form.

Knitting went the same way, but much more rapidly. Women who had been knitting for many years found themselves unwelcome in shops because they didn't want to use the very expensive, fragile wools and alpacas that were the Only True Fibers. The idea of making anything that is both beautiful and practical completely escapes a lot of the knitters I've met. They're proud of how fragile their creations are, how expensive they are, and how they can't even hand-wash them because they'll be ruined. Everybody else is, and I quote, "wasting their time on all that stupid junk." I like wasting my time on big lace shawls made out of Simply Soft. I also like being able to knit without the surgical gloves and dust mask that make it possible for me to handle wool, llama or alpaca.

I'd have liked to learn to spin, but the wool problem will always be in my way. It wouldn't have mattered during the SnB years, because all old spinning equipment was bad and wrong anyhow. It didn't matter that there were a lot of middle-aged women who had wheels or drop spindles handed down for generations, or that some of them raised rare breeds of sheep just to have the perfect wool; they knew nothing and their work was worthless.

Anger was always such a part of the local SnB knitting group. It appeared, grew to overwhelming proportions, imploded in screaming tantrums and vanished within about three years, and the shops closed and the people who knitted before it and the spinners who have been at it for forty years are very gingerly coming back out of the woodwork like refugees trickling home after a war.

Art is wonderful (I'm a writer, so I'm biased that way) but I never want to see anyone excluded from using the tools of a hobby in whatever way they like to make whatever they want, without being abused for it. Folk art is still art. Art doesn't have to be impractical, and the original practitioners shouldn't be sent packing.

Hear, hear! I have had two European knitting-snob friends who used Only True Fibers (I love that), and did not bother to disguise their disdain for both my crocheting (even the crocheted items I gave them as gifts) and my workhorse acrylic yarn (a large portion of what I crochet is for Project Linus, which will accept only synthetics for the kids). They had no room for the practical in their definition of what is artistic or attractive. The two women are, by the way, no longer friends. So, I enjoyed your story -- and it was well told.

Hi Serraffa, I also welcome you!

I am very much a history buff and love reading up on some of the background relating to certain crochet methods such as Irish crochet; tapestry crochet, etc. Originally our ancestors would crochet together in the late 1800's - 1900's to create belts for their husbands; purses; clothing and items to sell for money because money was scarce. Keep in mind, immigrants came from all over the world. Let's not forget the prisoners of war, who crocheted beautiful pieces in prison as they had nothing else to do.

In those days, crocheting was a "means to an ends" and women and others, most likely didn't view the items they made as being considered 'fine art'. Only if they knew, that some of their items such as beautiful bedspreads and fantastically crafted wedding gowns, have survived the times and can be viewed in museums, they would be surprised.

Tobacco twine was used in the late 1800's through the 1900's as it was readily available. As it wasn't a durable thread, often items crocheted with it, deteriorated, but some did in fact survive. They are amazing works, so many view these items as art.

Back in those times, items were created with pride and women also didn't work outside the home so this was a way to unwind and pass the time away.

Times have changed but I would have to say any beautifully handcrafted item can be considered art. My grandmother's friend made me a beautiful jumper of granny squares when I was 4 and it has since passed down to my two daughters. They have long ago outgrown it, so it is awaiting to be passed down some more. This jumper along with all my children's baby afghans are treasured and prized and with that in mind, I consider them all to be forms of art. They are all beautiful and timeless and will most likely last longer than me.:lol

Look at all the amazing fibers we have access to that people of long ago didn't have. Crochet and knitting, I believe, will continue to go through changes, but who knows 50 years down the road, what impact we will have on the next generations to come.:think

Irish women helped save their families' lives during that country's great famine. Their crocheted lace was much sought after by Europeans and often was the family's sole means of support. I was reminded of this today as I was reading a piece by Joan Walsh in salon.com that cited these numbers:

"Ireland lost one in three people in the late 1840s. At least a million died in the famine and its related illnesses; another two million fled for England, Canada, the United States or other ports of refuge."

What is sad is that it was, perhaps arguably, politics that caused people to starve. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

I have a friend who makes the most beautiful tatted items. People beg her to make things for them, and yet don't seem to think about compensating her for her time and talent.

This past summer, she made an exquisite wedding set consisting of a tiara, necklace, fingerless gloves, and a tatted edge on the veil. The tiara looked like spun glass after it was stiffened! This took 3 months to make. 3 months! She was, again, paid nothing, so she won't make these anymore. She has always expected people to be civilized and pay her according to how they value her work. She doesn't understand that people will take advantage if you let them. If you leave it up to them to say "Oh yes, this is worth $1000" ~ it's not going to happen.

I've seen items of hers that are museum quality, but people make her feel like there must be something wrong with her work since they are not willing to pay her. If her work was in a New York City store, it would be snapped up.

1.) Most crochet "artists" (aka bohemians that can also resort to yarn-bombing to gain social attention to their abilities) are using crochet in a primarily sculptural form, thus leaving other crocheters as........simply "designers" if other crocheters execute anything in 2D form. (flat.) Same for needlepoint people and canvas-workers. (we haven't gotten our heads out of the kleenex-box holders yet,

Wow - just wow! Most crochet artists are not 'bohemians' that go around yarn bombing. They're just normal every day people.

Museums happen to be full of 'flat' things. They're usually hanging on the walls.

You also don't seem to have a good grasp on what a crochet 'designer' actually is. A crocheter crochets - usually from a pattern. A designer is the person who creates the pattern.

Kitsch is a form of folk art.

3.)We have a current generation of women that view handcrafting in 3 ways that is not springing from authentic "culture" here in America, but rather, other pedestrian trends

a.) the "gentrification" effect coming from marketing success of Etsy - where success is measured only by current trends and the ability to sell in a Generation -Y kind of way

b.) the South American effect -- anything from silly wool hats for skaters and hipsters to backpacks and etc made from wool or cotton in some remote, fair-trade village and

c.) the prison-labor lace doilies you see for $1 at all dollar stores that are coming from our multi-financial nemesis, CHINA (but occasionally, India.)

I don't think it's possible to sum up the views of an entire generation of American women in such a short paragraph. It's very limited in that you seem to be completely leaving out handcrafter's of any genre. You're strictly speaking of consumers - not creators. You're also speaking of very specific items for purchase within very small demographics.

What you find silly - others love. What you find 'pedestrian' is what most people here love to create and share.

If you're looking for 'fine art' then you're on the wrong forum. If you're looking for a community of warm and helpful people who share a love of what they do then you're in the right place. The best way to introduce yourself to a new community is not to insult what they do and love.

Personally, I would much rather crochet a 2D afghan in someone's favorite colors in an interesting design that they will love, use and display on the back of the couch or bed than something to collect dust. Seeing people use the things I create brings me great joy. Knowing that one of my best friends treasures the shawl I made her and called it's creation 'an act of love' that she can feel when she wears it means more to me than having a piece displayed ever could.

While I do find your opening post insulting I also agree with parts of it. Most of us here at the 'ville will never create fine art to be displayed in the Louvre or any other museum of note. That does not diminish the craft or the art of crochet for us. If you have a desire to elevate your own crochet work to the level of fine art - go for it. If you want to create 3d sculptural art - more power to you. I wish you the best and hope you achieve it. Who knows - maybe it'll be your desire, drive and skill that brings about it's elevation.

If you're looking for 'fine art' then you're on the wrong forum.

I think we can discuss crochet as a fine art. I think we have, in fact. I know there was discussion about Nathan Vincent's crocheted sculptures after he was on the Martha Stewart show. I'm sure there have been other instances, that is the first one that comes to mind.

Granted, there are not a large number of those threads. But I really hope that Crochetville is and will continue to be open to all kinds of crochet discussions.

If you're looking for a community of warm and helpful people who share a love of what they do then you're in the right place. The best way to introduce yourself to a new community is not to insult what they do and love.

:clap:yes:clap

You took the words right out of my... ummm... fingers!

I think we can discuss crochet as a fine art. I think we have, in fact. I know there was discussion about Nathan Vincent's crocheted sculptures after he was on the Martha Stewart show. I'm sure there have been other instances, that is the first one that comes to mind.

Granted, there are not a large number of those threads. But I really hope that Crochetville is and will continue to be open to all kinds of crochet discussions.

We discuss just about everything related to crochet here. But to be honest, discussing crochet as fine art is more the exception than the rule here - whether it's discussions or show and tell. I didn't say we couldn't discuss anything. You're taking what I said the wrong way.

This is the link to Nathan Vincent's website. You can click on each thumbnail to see more pictures. http://nathanvincent.com/section/5894.html I really don't think this is what the OP was referring to as fine art. I could be wrong.

I have to admit, after reading all the posts, I had a bit of a slight headache.

I honestly never thought of crochet as fine art, not to offend anyone, just thought it was good that it was making a "comeback" so to speak.

Art is in the eye of the beholder at times. What one person thinks is fine art may not appeal to others. It is the beauty of diversity.

I crochet because I love it, I was taught by my mom and at this point, the majority of my projects are for charity. The others are for gifts (and it is so gratifiying when a friend tells me she told her daughter to keep her hands off the afghan I made for her) and the occasional item for me.

To me, as long as a craft is continually being done and appreciated and loved, that is art. Maybe I see things a different way, have always been known to walk to the beat of a differen drum, but that is how I see things.

However, while I may not agree with others every time, I do and always will respect their opinions and ideas. It is what makes the world go round.

LI Roe

But I really hope that Crochetville is and will continue to be open to all kinds of crochet discussions.

No worries there! Crochetville is here to provide support to ALL crocheters, whatever type of crochet they want to do.

If you want to create fine art pieces from crochet, we'll be here to support you, encourage you, and ooh and aah over your projects.

If you only want to make single crochet square dishcloths, we'll be here to support you, encourage you, and ooh and aah over your projects.

Whatever you make, no matter how simple or how elaborate, no matter how crafty or how artistic, is incredibly special to the person who made. Therefore, it's just as important and special to us here at Crochetville.

We can lift up everything and everyone without the need to tear anything or anyone down.

Long Live the Hook! And All Who Wield One!

No worries there! Crochetville is here to provide support to ALL crocheters, whatever type of crochet they want to do.

If you want to create fine art pieces from crochet, we'll be here to support you, encourage you, and ooh and aah over your projects.

If you only want to make single crochet square dishcloths, we'll be here to support you, encourage you, and ooh and aah over your projects.

Whatever you make, no matter how simple or how elaborate, no matter how crafty or how artistic, is incredibly special to the person who made. Therefore, it's just as important and special to us here at Crochetville.

We can lift up everything and everyone without the need to tear anything or anyone down.

I've been on Facebook too much, I think. I need a LIKE button! :lol

I've been on Facebook too much, I think. I need a LIKE button! :lol

Me too!!! :lol

I just want to say that I have found a wonderful, talented, supportive group of women here. I don't post alot here, but I love to browse everyones finished project and ooo and aw over them. And when I do post a photo of a finished object I recieve lots of praise and encouragement. I love all you ladies and gentlemen and THIS is a awesome place to share and "lurk".

I have made many items, that to me, are works of art. And I consider myself and all of my fellow crocheters artists. This is just our chosen form of medium. Thanks to all of you for all the support and inspiration through the years.

• 2 weeks later...

To darski: I found Crochetville through Crochet Pattern Central as you are there. I just wanted to say how adorable your pattern listed with CPC for the seasonal wardrobe for the 18" dolls are! My grand daughter loves all her dollies and she loves to dress them up. She will love those clothes in her favorite colors, thanks for providing such cute patterns as these on CPC!

• 3 weeks later...

Last July I went to a double graduation/b-day party. 1 niece from HS, her sister form NHU and 21st b-day. I saw a baby afghan I made hanging over a chair in the den, not tucked away to be handed down. A 21/yo still likes to use it as a shall sometimes. My sister says the 18/yo still has hers on a chair in her room too. I don't care if it's called "art" or "craft", just as long as it's appreciated :manyheart.

All crocheters: Raise up your hooks in defense of your work and never let anyone tell you how to do it!

Ellie 13

Archived