Do you have to starch?

Charis

What does it do if you just wash the project and block it but don't starch it? Does the project hold it's shape after you take the pins out? I guess what I'm asking is...Is there any point to blocking thread projects without starching them?:think

I'm working on a snowflake garland in thread. I'm attaching the snowflakes as I go. They clearly need some blocking because right now they just look like little snowflake blobs. :) Stretching them out does make them look better. It will be a large task to block/starch them all that's for sure. But it will be soo worth it. This will probably take me forever but I don't care. :hook

if the garland is going to be many feet long, it will be hard to starch the whole thing---at least it would be hard at my house to find a place to lay it out to dry. so maybe you could starch/block it in sections as you go, then sew the big sections together. Like make 2-3 feet, block that, make and block another 3 ft section, sew them together.

If you don't care how long it will take and know it would look so much better why do you ask, the answer is in the question. I think all thread projects need to be blocked and starched, they DO look so much better.

Yes, I understand. Thank you!

if the garland is going to be many feet long, it will be hard to starch the whole thing---at least it would be hard at my house to find a place to lay it out to dry. so maybe you could starch/block it in sections as you go, then sew the big sections together. Like make 2-3 feet, block that, make and block another 3 ft section, sew them together.

Thanks for the tip Kathy! I might just do that! I was also thinking that I'd just do a section at a time with the whole thing put together.

I have some other projects I want to do in thread and what I was really wondering is, Does blocking even do anything to the project without starch?

I think blocking alone will open up the stitch pattern. For a doily or anything that will lay flat, that might be all you need. I have made doilies and not starched them, they seem fine.

But whenever i have made snowflakes they really need to be stretched out to show the details, so it seems they really need to be stiffened In order to hold that stretch (i use diluted glue). Also it seems to me that since they are suspended in midair, that may be another reason for stiffening them, there is nothing to support the shape otherwise.

So i think it depends on the pattern, if there are points that really have to be held in place you need starch/stiffener. If you have a shape that has a simple border you may not need starch.

I do it the cheats way, I simply steam iron them, manipulating them in to shape as I iron. If you want to starch, an easy way is, when you have "blocked" with the iron, use spray starch, cover with a tea towel or pillow case and press them again.

I do this with most of my thread work, but there are some pieces that really do need pin blocking

I think blocking alone will open up the stitch pattern. For a doily or anything that will lay flat, that might be all you need. I have made doilies and not starched them, they seem fine.

But whenever i have made snowflakes they really need to be stretched out to show the details, so it seems they really need to be stiffened In order to hold that stretch (i use diluted glue). Also it seems to me that since they are suspended in midair, that may be another reason for stiffening them, there is nothing to support the shape otherwise.

So i think it depends on the pattern, if there are points that really have to be held in place you need starch/stiffener. If you have a shape that has a simple border you may not need starch.

Great! This is exactly what I was wondering about! Thank you so much!!

I do it the cheats way, I simply steam iron them, manipulating them in to shape as I iron. If you want to starch, an easy way is, when you have "blocked" with the iron, use spray starch, cover with a tea towel or pillow case and press them again.

I do this with most of my thread work, but there are some pieces that really do need pin blocking

Hey, that's great!! Thanks for the extra tip.

If I was to hang a long garland of snowflakes I would use elmers glue and water 50/50. With the weight and tension put on the garland just from it hanging - you'll need a good stiff block for them to keep their shape.

There's been a few times that I didn't have starch and just laid out doilies and stretched them into place. They don't have the body and if it gets humid they'll shrink back up.

I always block. I don't always starch. Depends on what I want to do with the piece. I don't starch if it is a garment, such as a shawl as I want the drape. I only lightly starch my doilies. I do this by pinning them out wet, then lightly spraying with spray starch. For heavy starching I like epson salts. I do this when an item has to hold it's shape independantly. This means it isn't supported by say a table like a doily is. If it's hanging in you garland it really needa a heavy starch or it will crumple in on it's self. Ornaments the same thing.

So a lot depends on what you are using the peice for. But no matter what I do block everything.

Archived