Newbie!

Dreamingintx

Hi again, thank you all for the really great tips! Its encouraging to know that some of you have had the same problems and have overcome them!

I'm looking at stitchguide.com after seeing the link on here and now I'm even more confused and am going to show myself up with a silly question :lol

On their instructions on how to do a double crochet loop they have the other stitches on their hook... Are mine supposed to be on the hook as I go along? Cos at the moment mine arent :blush

Hi and welcome from northern CA! :waving

Um, let's see...when I started to crochet I had the same problem with the number of stitches in a row mysteriously disappearing! One thing that helped me was figuring out that with single crochet, the "ch1, turn" at the end of row doesn't count as the first stitch in the next row. You need to start your sc right there in that very first sc!

Then for double crochet, the "ch3, turn" does count as the first stitch in the next row. So then, you need to start the next row in the next stitch. Make sense?:think

Also, try counting every stitch while crocheting...it's kinda like meditating. :2spin

With a little practice, you'll do great!

This could be part of my problem!! Thanks for filling me in on the secrets of crochet ;)

Hi :cheer and Welcome to Crochetville from Buenos Aires, Argentina!

Let's see how can I help you... If you go to my blog, and open My Gallery, you'll find the Album of Scarves I crocheted, there are close-ups and you can see there the stiches. Does it help?

Your work is beautiful! Mine certainly doesnt look like that :think

I'm new to crocheting and I need help! I am trying to make a scarf as my first project and I keep ending up with more/less stitches (hooks?! loops?!) than I'm supposed to have!!

Any tips on how to keep count?!

I've just gotten past this problem myself. I'm a beginner, and the scarf I've been working on got narrower by a stitch on every single row. Yipes!

For me the key was to get a better idea of where I should be putting the hook in for the each stitch. This sounds obvious, but I was confused about the way the final stitch looked at the end of a row. Somehow that last stitch didn't look like a stitch to me, so didn't crochet into it. I only figured this out when a woman who is way better at crochet than I am took a look at my work. It took her all of two seconds to point out where I was messing up, and now I get it. No more vanishing stitches!

So anyway, is there anybody who can take a look at what you're doing in order to give you a tip or two? Or could you take photos of your work, and post them on the web somewhere for the Crochetville folk to look at? Might help.

My other suggestion is to count stitches at the end of every row, at least until you really know what you're doing. If I had done this all along, I wouldn't have had to rip the whole scarf attempt apart a couple of times before I got the vanishing stitch problem solved.

Does this help at all?

Hi Vicki! Welcome to Crochetville from an american living overseas in Belgium! It can be confusing at times - keep with it and you'll love the finished results!

Archived