How do you hold a crochet hook?

LadyTwilyte

I am a B also but I don't think it has anything to do with tension. You would have the same control no matter how you hold the hook. I don't know what causes tight tension but it takes experience to finally get it right.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
B, and I hold tightly and crochet tightly. crochetingrn.blogspot.com

:eekHello!! you can protect and raise your children the very best that you know how, however, when they grow up and leave home to go out on their own, you might have a "say-so" on what they're doing but, they can do whatever they wish to, I just pray that they stay on the "right path"!! when I go to crochet, if I crochet tightly, I use a bigger hook, to see if the gauge is right. It's nice to meet you:clap

I hold it like A

I tried it like B but it makes my hand ache.:hook

Hello btpsmom!!

That is kind of funny, because I'm exactly the opposite:welcome .. it's nice to meet you, you'll enjoy being here :hook

HOPE YOU HAVE A GREAT WEEK:applause

BI am glad to know that others crochet like me,....I've had many people tell me that I hold the hook the wrong way. I've tried doing it in the "a" position, but it just doesnt feel right to me.:hook

Hello crochetcrazy :yay if i remember correctly some time ago, someone told me the same thing about how I hold my hook, but, when I sit down on our couch, relax, & start to crochet, I am a "B" lady:clap also. I've been that way, since my sweet cousin, taught me how to crochet, "ripple afghans!!!!! to me, they are addicting, & I don't mind it at all:hook ..I do crochet scarves, the ones that I have crocheted, seem to be very simple, and warm..that's the most important thing.

I'm closer to a B, but more of the steak knife grip. I kind of palm my hook, using more of the outer fingers to grip the hook. I also tend to crochet tightly. This is really interesting. It seems like there are more B answers, but the people I know who use the A grip look at me like I'm doing it wrong!

I'm closer to a B, but more of the steak knife grip. I kind of palm my hook, using more of the outer fingers to grip the hook. I also tend to crochet tightly. This is really interesting. It seems like there are more B answers, but the people I know who use the A grip look at me like I'm doing it wrong!

Hello kittylou!!!

whatever someone else "TELLS" you about, or looks at you like you're holding your hook wrong, look right back at them & just smile:) :) :) , what is right for them, might not necessarily be right for you, just be comfortable, I am:hook :clap ..It's nice to meet you

I'm a B. My mom tried to teach me with A, and I think that's part of the reason I couldn't quite get it right, because it felt kind of awkward to me. Once I found B I was off and running!

Hello shauna779 !! it's nice to meet you !! I am the same way, I can't hold my crochet hook, like "A", besides feeling so awkward for me, I also get cramps in my right hand, so I tried it, I guess between B & C, like I hold a steak knife, & I can crochet off and on all day without getting cramps in my hand, & I love to crochet ripple afghans!!:c9

I just got through crocheting 4 ripple afghans, in the last two months, & now, I'm working on a scarve with Lion Brand 362 Quartz, it has a pattern inside for knitting, but I crochet, so I'm kind of going on my own, & I thought that I would put tassels on the ends. I'm using a size N hook, so I can see the stitches!! because it is kind of I guess you would call it fluffy?? it'll be warm though:clap :hook

Hello shauna779 !! it's nice to meet you !! I am the same way, I can't hold my crochet hook, like "A", besides feeling so awkward for me, I also get cramps in my right hand, so I tried it, I guess between B & C, like I hold a steak knife, & I can crochet off and on all day without getting cramps in my hand, & I love to crochet ripple afghans!!:c9

I just got through crocheting 4 ripple afghans, in the last two months, & now, I'm working on a scarve with Lion Brand 362 Quartz, it has a pattern inside for knitting, but I crochet, so I'm kind of going on my own, & I thought that I would put tassels on the ends. I'm using a size N hook, so I can see the stitches!! because it is kind of I guess you would call it fluffy?? it'll be warm though:clap

Carol

Hmmm, I don't see my position listed, but I took a pic as best I could of how I hold my hook...

hookposition.jpg

I like longer hooks because of the way I hold them. Too short and they rub against my palm and get irritated.

Oh, and I am a very loose crocheter... I NEVER check my gauge though...

Great topic! What I'd really like to see is photos of everybodys' hold style. It'd help me carve my hooks more ergonomically. Right now its a kind of intuitive thing based on those graphics and word descriptions... but i sure would like to see more photos of hands holding hooks.

:think If I got a picture of my hand holding my crochet hook, how would I get it onto this page?

Carol in Rosamond

I'm a B.

But I am learning tunsanian with a long hook which I need to hold like an A.

But I started to have muscle tics in the meaty part of the hand just below the thumb so I had to stop for a while. Anyone else have muscle tics? Am I holding it wrong?

Archived