How do you hold a crochet hook?

LadyTwilyte

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess maybe the Steak Knife C. My whole hand encompasses the hook and I hold it more on a vertical angle. In this position, my hook does all the work and my left hand holding the yarn just kinda sits there.I taught myself to crochet when I was 16 or so and this is probably why I don't hold it a normal way. Just curious - those of you holding it this way, did you teach yourself to crochet, too?

Oh - I forgot to answer the other part - My gauge is usually the same as the pattern on those few occasions that I use the recommended yarn.

crochetholdinghook.jpg

I'm curious to see how people hold their hook. I hold it in position B. Please post A or B corresponding to the picture to show how you hold the hook

Hi LadyTwilyte :)

I am natcat, I hold my hook like picture B

Carol T/ Rosamond, Ca.

I'm more of a B than anything. But I think I hold mine like you'd hold a steak knife...if that makes any sense...lol.

I hold mine like a Knife also. I thought it looked more like A I am a loose crocheter.

I hold mine like a Knife also. I thought it looked more like A I am a loose crocheter.

Hi Lorrie!!

I am a tight crocheter, I don't mean to be, is there any answer to being a little looser in crocheting??

:yaynatcat in Calif.

I am a B :) :) :)

michele

Hello Michele :)

I tried to hold my hook like A but I get cramps in my right hand, oh well !!

Actually, thinking about it, I hold my hook, between B & C , looking at the picture, first I said B, but I hold my hook up close to the hook, and use the back part of the hook for a little extra support, because, I've had surgery for Carpel tunnel syndrom, and holding it like that is a lot more comfortable for my hand, wrist & arm, But I won't give up crocheting :yay :yay :yay Carol in Rosamond

:hookI'm a B, and never quite understood A people, as many of the crocheters I no are A. I think you have more control with B.

I tend to crochet a little on the tight side, but not too much, and I usually end up close to the right size. I also don't have trouble with changing tension, and usually my work is very even, but this is probaly just the work of 9 years' practice!

:hookI'm a B, and never quite understood A people, as many of the crocheters I no are A. I think you have more control with B.

I tend to crochet a little on the tight side, but not too much, and I usually end up close to the right size. I also don't have trouble with changing tension, and usually my work is very even, but this is probaly just the work of 9 years' practice!

Hello Chenille4!!

I also do believe that we have more control with our hooks, then an A does, I tried to crochet like A, and just got cramps in my right hand, I just said, "forget this" I like the way I do it better. I also crochet on the tight side, & can crochet a little looser when I need to. I've been crocheting since my cousin taught me around 1976!! eek:eek :eek :eek

It's nice to meet you!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS !!

Hi LadyTwilyte :)

I am natcat, I hold my hook like picture B

Carol T/ Rosamond, Ca.

Great topic! What I'd really like to see is photos of everybodys' hold style. It'd help me carve my hooks more ergonomically. Right now its a kind of intuitive thing based on those graphics and word descriptions... but i sure would like to see more photos of hands holding hooks.

Great topic! What I'd really like to see is photos of everybodys' hold style. It'd help me carve my hooks more ergonomically. Right now its a kind of intuitive thing based on those graphics and word descriptions... but i sure would like to see more photos of hands holding hooks.

Great idea Jimbo, here's my contribution.

th_235ad8dd.jpgth_08fa2b2c.jpg

obviously I am a B

Not the best in the world, I was using the timer on my camera. lol

Pic is clickable of course.

Great idea Jimbo, here's my contribution.

th_235ad8dd.jpgth_08fa2b2c.jpg

obviously I am a B

Not the best in the world, I was using the timer on my camera. lol

Pic is clickable of course.

Thanks Kari! Its interesting... i had a totally different picture in my little brain of how you hold your hook following your description. Amazing what a photo can do.

Where would be a really good forum to start a thread asking for photos like this so i, er we can all have a global compilation of the grips used by the best crochetiers in the known universe (meaning the C'ville crochetiers, that is)?

I'm thinking there are three basic hold categories. 1. pencil 2. toothbrush and 3. steak knife. Looks like you're a toothbrush allright.

Jim I would say either here in Crochet Q&A or in hooks and gadgets but am leaning more for the Q&A part since it IS a getting to know you type question er.. request.

A please. I've tried it the other way, but it is pretty uncomfortable. Maybe that's because I'm a leftie, crocheting right?:think

Hello AmyG

Yes, I crochet with my right hand!! plus, I crochet between B & C, because I have already had surgery on both hands, for carpal tunnel syndrome, I came through it just fine:clap , I tried to crochet like A, & it is much easier for me to crochet between B & C. You live in Wyomming? I used to, it is really neat up there:hook

I am curious. :think if the way we hold our hooks has anything to do with tension.

I am a B and I crochet from tight to tighter. :hook

So if when you answer the original question would you mention if you work tight or loose.

This is a great question.......I am definitely a "B" hook holder, and I tend to crochet tight. I've also been told that I "throw the yarn" over the hook, and I think this might have something to do with why my stitches turn out so tight.

Archived